Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 103

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 103

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
engine Replacement on E30

Thread: engine Replacement on E30

Cool engine Replacement on E30

hi guys,

I am in the research process in looking to replace our M20 in our e30. With 320,000 miles on it, it is time for replacement. Any merchants online which are good for buying used engines? I live in Phoenix AZ area and looking locally too for replacement. also need instructions or again website which talks about engine swaping or replacement.

If you're asking these questions and plan to do this yourself you have some homework to do!
    You should, at least, have the Robert Bentley E30 repair manual - check eBay and Amazon before buying a new copy. Read through the engine section and learn the info there. Here is the link to the BMW factory repair manual: http://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/ma...en/htm/002.htm
    Can you not rebuild the current engine? The bottom end of BMW engines are quite stout - it's the head that usually needs refreshing.
    I have an E28 buddy in the Phoenix area who is quite "in the loop" with regards to parts availability, shops, etc., in the area. Send me an e-mail or post your address here and I'll have him contact you.
    STAY AWAY from Bavarian Auto Recycling in Rancho Cordova CA.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

OP, it sounds to me like you should just pull the engine and rebuild it, not place another "used" engine in it. The cost may be a bit more, but you'll know that you have a 0 mile engine when it's done!

Hi John, good advice from thanks for the info. I do have the bentley manual bought it from Oscar Benitez when living back east and involved with the DIY. My email is BMWe30mt@gmail.com. Your link is excellent just what I was looking form. I will stay away from Bavarian Auto Recycling.... thank again for the advice.

Mycoupemindy: That is a great thought too from you. The only thing that keeps on going through my mind is time spent in doing the rebuilt yourself and the learning curve. I do have a shop where I can do all the work for about $150 a day (tools included) but then I swing back to engine swap which can take between 2 to 3 days (at least I give myself that much time) to complete the work. Getting a good working reliable M20 is key. I am in the research phase

sorry for my poor spelling

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer325imt View Post
    Hi John, good advice from thanks for the info. I do have the bentley manual bought it from Oscar Benitez when living back east and involved with the DIY. My email is BMWe30mt@gmail.com. Your link is excellent just what I was looking form. I will stay away from Bavarian Auto Recycling.... thank again for the advice.

Mycoupemindy: That is a great thought too from you. The only thing that keeps on going through my mind is time spent in doing the rebuilt yourself and the learning curve. I do have a shop where I can do all the work for about $150 a day (tools included) but then I swing back to engine swap which can take between 2 to 3 days (at least I give myself that much time) to complete the work. Getting a good working reliable M20 is key. I am in the research phase
    It's just such an old engine that I wouldn't trust any used ones. That's just me. If you can get the engine out and in in 2-3 days, it sounds like you have pretty good mechanical skills. There's not much "hard" about the internals, just time consuming.

Given that you can get an M20 for a few hundred bucks, it's hard to justify actually building one.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

All of you have good feedback.... thanks a million. well after my hours at DIY changing timing belt and water pump was well as driveshaft and everything else that could go wrong with an E30. So I feel good in doing the work. Doing the swap does not scare me but just unhooking everything and then putting it back together is the tough part. Therefore I am taking my time with the research and asking you all the questions.

We recently rebuilt the top end on an 88 325 after we purchased the car with crashed valves. We put a schrick 288 cam in it and it's awesome. The head had the valve guides sleeved with brass inserts. We didn't do anything to the bottom end and it now is so much fun! I'm going to sell it to my mom because she needs a car but it's going to be difficult to let that one go. Moral of the story: Rebuild and add Schrick Cam= More fun!! Brass inserts= reliability.

Thread Information