Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2011) Mini Cooper Countryman S? Go Or No-Go For Autocross? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: (2011) Mini Cooper Countryman S? Go Or No-Go For Autocross?

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Have you taken it to CarMax to get an offer? I would, just so that I would know the absolute floor.
    Nah. I know my walk-away number.
    Last edited by gbauer; 04-05-2011 at 03:10 PM.

What traction control?

Quote Originally Posted by gbauer View Post
    I think the work that's needed to make it 100% is roughly about $1,000 in parts and paint tops. $8,500 invested and he could probably sell it for 10,000-10,500.
    That's a far stretch. Remember that a.) it's a roadster (market is saturated), b.) has 144k on it, c.) it's not summer. Peak of summer, maybe - now, probably not.

They are selling at Manheim for $6,800 currently with your mileage. If you get offered more for a trade, they are loading it in elsewhere.

George, I hate to see you get rid of a cool BMW sports car for a . . . .well, the Countryman defies description by me. To each his own I guess.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    That's a far stretch. Remember that a.) it's a roadster (market is saturated), b.) has 144k on it, c.) it's not summer. Peak of summer, maybe - now, probably not.

They are selling at Manheim for $6,800 currently with your mileage. If you get offered more for a trade, they are loading it in elsewhere.
    shoot.

Well regardless we're also dumping off the Jeep that's fully paid for. If we're close to even with both for what's owed on the BMW I'm OK.

What traction control?

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    George, I hate to see you get rid of a cool BMW sports car for a . . . .well, the Countryman defies description by me. To each his own I guess.
    It's not THAT bad...

It's just wrong-wheel drive.

What traction control?

Thinking about it more: $8,000 for the roadster and a 210k mile Jeep WJ V8 that needs a windshield, CV boot ($25), and transmission speed sensor ($100).

What traction control?

it is that bad....

get a subaru for all the same features

George, can you PM me your contact info. Have a friend interested in the roadster but couldn't follow my link for some reason.

Thanks!

PM sent but if anyone else wants to talk my phone number is 240-997-8537. I'll be in Owings Mills at 3 or so to potentially trade it in. Call me before then if you want to talk.
    Last edited by gbauer; 04-06-2011 at 09:19 AM.

What traction control?

Quote Originally Posted by gbauer View Post
    PM sent but if anyone else wants to talk my phone number is 240-997-8537. I'll be in Owings Mills at 3 or so to potentially trade it in. Call me before then if you want to talk.
    you get my text about the box and sub?
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Honestly, I'd rather the Countryman. Been there, done that with Subarus (had a WRX, my sister is on her second). IMHO, the only advantage the Subarus have is power.

Quote Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
    it is that bad....

get a subaru for all the same features
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    IMHO, the only advantage the Subarus have is power.
    Let's not go overboard here. I'm sure the Countryman is a good and nice vehicle (it is a BMW, after all) and I'll be the first to admit that many cars are better than a WRX at various things, including performance........but the only advantage the Countryman has is interior fit and finish, ground clearance, and a couple extra mpg in fuel economy. Especially against 09+ WRXs, which are faster, better, and bigger than the older ones. Plus it's a FWD-based light-duty AWD system vs. the WRX's true AWD setup. I think your BMW bias is showing (as is my Subaru bias, I'm sure)

SO.....as much as I don't like magazine racing, I am sitting here watching baseball and have nothing better to do than use teh interwebz to conclusively win this argument, lol ....the performance specs favor a base WRX over a Clubman S All4 in every category:

Weight: about the same, depending on options, both around 3200-3300lbs.

Based on Edmunds numbers:

Power:
    WRX: 265hp/244tq (and everyone knows it's really more like 290/260 but subaru under-rates it so as not to be as close to the STI's 300hp)
    Countryman: 181hp/177tq (also probably under-rated since it's a BMW)

1/4 mile:
    WRX: 13.5sec
    Countryman: 15.7sec

Braking 60-0
    WRX 114ft
    Countryman: 117ft

Skid
    WRX 0.90g
    Countryman: 0.83g

SLalom
    WRX 68mph
    Countryman: 67mph

.....and the countryman's cargo space (max behind first row with rears folded down): 41.3 cu ft vs. a WRX hatch with 44 cu ft. So the mini SUV even has less utility.

The countryman may very well be a better all-around vehicle, but for the purposes of this particular discussion in an autocross forum, I think not. The Countryman compares favorably with an Impreza Outback Sport, definitely. Not a WRX.

In terms of intangibles like "feel" or "comfort" or "quality" or "reliability" that's more or less a personal preference/judgement call.

But George, please get it. Because it does suit you. :007:
    Last edited by irish44j; 04-06-2011 at 07:40 PM.

as a side note, I wasn't actually serious when I suggested George to get a Subie anyhow. I've known him a good deal longer than probably anyone on this forum (from back in our Nissan days) and I know George doesn't like SUbies and would NEVER get one. He likes his leather and 12-way-electric seats and l33t status vehicles too much

My problem with Subaru is that they've gone all numb and disconnected. I liked my '02 WRX, aside from the ghastly clutch/flywheel. Even the turbo lag was entertaining. Newer ones seem to have lost a lot of what made the '02 feel good.

I'm not in any way claiming that the Countryman is faster. I'm just saying that it will feel a thousand times better to drive. Control response is my big, big thing. Subaru control response is very Japanese. The gas pedal is feather light (unacceptable, I find it incredibly annoying to have to hold my foot up while driving), the steering response is both numb and weird (the '02 WRX had brilliant steering, but for some idiotic reason they messed with it), and the Subarus have the hideous front overhang that is characteristic of FWD platforms. At least Minis don't have half the car's weight hanging out in front of the axle.

I've wanted to like Subaru for a while. I like manual seats (the only vehicle K and I have with power seats is her 993T), the M3 has cloth, and the fact that Subaru is at least trying to offer an enthusiast vehicle is appealing. Unfortunately, they've achieved it through brute force, and they've tried too hard to become civilized.

Mind you, you will note that I haven't got a new BMW, either. There is nothing that they make today that I want. I wouldn't object to an E90 M3 as a daily beater, but it's about the only current one I find tolerable.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Well... We got it. Traded in both the Jeep and BMW. They tried to really low-ball me on the BMW but I talked them up to a reasonable number.

We didn't get the S in order to keep the overall savings up. It's also an auto but auto Mini's have the steptronic trans so we can drive it like a manual (minus the glorious third peddle...). That said we are still saving over $250 a month when I factor in gas, insurance and repairs. It's safe to say that's a very good number. My wife is about as giddy as she could be, the kid loves it (she woke up this morning saying, "Ride! Ride!" which in Ava-talk means "It would be advantageous to my disposition for the remainder of the day if we would gather our belongings and clamor into the Mini Cooper for a long and fun trip to the countryside".

Pics:

Don't let the pics fool you: It's MUCH smaller than the Jeep. Comparing it to the IS250 (estimated by looking at the two side by side in the garage): the IS is 2.5' longer, the Mini is 4" taller, the mini's wheel base is about 4" less, and they are about the same width. The center of gravity feels about the same between the two. The IS has more grunt (feels like it at least). In autocross I'd say they will be pretty evenly matched. This will make it fun to compare my times to my wife's then (If I ever get a chance to go again that is...).

Overall I like it.

....I guess I'll have to suck it up now and slum it in the IS250...
    Last edited by gbauer; 04-07-2011 at 07:54 AM.

What traction control?

Thread Information