Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2011) Mini Cooper Countryman S? Go Or No-Go For Autocross? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: (2011) Mini Cooper Countryman S? Go Or No-Go For Autocross?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    My problem with Subaru is that they've gone all numb and disconnected. I liked my '02 WRX, aside from the ghastly clutch/flywheel. Even the turbo lag was entertaining. Newer ones seem to have lost a lot of what made the '02 feel good.

I'm not in any way claiming that the Countryman is faster. I'm just saying that it will feel a thousand times better to drive. Control response is my big, big thing. Subaru control response is very Japanese. The gas pedal is feather light (unacceptable, I find it incredibly annoying to have to hold my foot up while driving), the steering response is both numb and weird (the '02 WRX had brilliant steering, but for some idiotic reason they messed with it), and the Subarus have the hideous front overhang that is characteristic of FWD platforms. At least Minis don't have half the car's weight hanging out in front of the axle.

I've wanted to like Subaru for a while. I like manual seats (the only vehicle K and I have with power seats is her 993T), the M3 has cloth, and the fact that Subaru is at least trying to offer an enthusiast vehicle is appealing. Unfortunately, they've achieved it through brute force, and they've tried too hard to become civilized.

Mind you, you will note that I haven't got a new BMW, either. There is nothing that they make today that I want. I wouldn't object to an E90 M3 as a daily beater, but it's about the only current one I find tolerable.
    things you note may be true.....but I guess for someone like me how a car is stock doesn't much matter. Obviously nothing can be done about the weight distro to make it like a RWD car - but I came from FWD V6 sedans so it's better than that, lol. But steering....some poly bushings makes a massive difference. I actually consider it now to be the best steering of any car I've owned (and I've owned a dozen plus) Stock suspension is a bit mushy (though firmer than older wrx's, I will note), but I'm running 330# springs with bilsteins - the way the car SHOULD have come in the first place.

Alot of subie gusy with older WRXs complain about the same things you said, but then half of them up and get the new WRX anyhow, knowing that a few tweaks make it a far more capable car than a bugeye, for instance. And with some actual legroom in the backseat and fold-down back seats to the trunk

Not sure what you mean about the gas pedal though. I just got back from a week in Germany driving an Audi A4 2.0 TDI wagon, and the gas and brake on that car are ULTRA-light. The Subaru when I got back felt like pressing down a ton of bricks for any of the three pedals, lol.

in any case, I guess that's why they make so many cars, lol. Subaru was one of the "rawest" cars I could find new in late '08 so I got it (I did dive an E46 330ci, a few Audis, and other cars as well). We like what we like

Quote Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
    things you note may be true.....but I guess for someone like me how a car is stock doesn't much matter. Obviously nothing can be done about the weight distro to make it like a RWD car - but I came from FWD V6 sedans so it's better than that, lol. But steering....some poly bushings makes a massive difference. I actually consider it now to be the best steering of any car I've owned (and I've owned a dozen plus) Stock suspension is a bit mushy (though firmer than older wrx's, I will note), but I'm running 330# springs with bilsteins - the way the car SHOULD have come in the first place.

Alot of subie gusy with older WRXs complain about the same things you said, but then half of them up and get the new WRX anyhow, knowing that a few tweaks make it a far more capable car than a bugeye, for instance. And with some actual legroom in the backseat and fold-down back seats to the trunk

Not sure what you mean about the gas pedal though. I just got back from a week in Germany driving an Audi A4 2.0 TDI wagon, and the gas and brake on that car are ULTRA-light. The Subaru when I got back felt like pressing down a ton of bricks for any of the three pedals, lol.

in any case, I guess that's why they make so many cars, lol. Subaru was one of the "rawest" cars I could find new in late '08 so I got it (I did dive an E46 330ci, a few Audis, and other cars as well). We like what we like
    "more capable than a bugeye"!?, how much do you want from a 50hp Austin-Healey? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    "more capable than a bugeye"!?, how much do you want from a 50hp Austin-Healey? LOL
    psh, when I want something more capable than a bugeye sprite, I don't need the wrx. I have something closer to the right era for that....with a whopping 120hp and WAY worse f/r weight distro than the subie. Nothing like an all-Iron inline-6 hanging over the front wheels in an 1800lb car!

psh, when I want something more capable than a bugeye sprite, I don't need the wrx. I have something closer to the right era for that....with a whopping 120hp and WAY worse f/r weight distro than the subie. Nothing like an all-Iron inline-6 hanging over the front wheels in an 1800lb car!

LOL, I sold my spitfire on Ebay to a guy in Miami, he didn't pick it up for a year!, still miss my TR-6 the most.

How a car is stock probably matters even less to me than it does to you. I've done multiple engine swaps, and suspension changes are just assumed. Certain things are much harder to change, though. And Audis are frankly just better built, more luxurious (and vastly more expensive) versions of the same formula that Subaru uses.

I'm pleased to hear that Subaru might have upped the tension on the gas pedal. The ones I've driven would practically flop to the floor if you rested your foot on them. That's very annoying for cruising and literally the number one reason why I got rid of my '02.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    How a car is stock probably matters even less to me than it does to you. I've done multiple engine swaps, and suspension changes are just assumed. Certain things are much harder to change, though. And Audis are frankly just better built, more luxurious (and vastly more expensive) versions of the same formula that Subaru uses.

I'm pleased to hear that Subaru might have upped the tension on the gas pedal. The ones I've driven would practically flop to the floor if you rested your foot on them. That's very annoying for cruising and literally the number one reason why I got rid of my '02.
    lol, well I would certainly take an S4 over my WRX.......I certainly won't argue Audis being a luxuried-up Subie..... but all my money goes to paying mortgage in Fairfax County, lol. Plus I really don't want any luxury. I like manual cloth seats and not having to care if someone dings my door

A few nice things they changed in the recent cars include wheel bearing assemblies that simply unbolt from the spindle for easy replacement (YES), and the rear suspension is now multilink instead of macstrut...much better geometry than the GDs. Not to mention an extra 50 (in reality, it's more like 70) horses in stock form. And the gas pedal is definitely not floppy in my experience!
    Last edited by irish44j; 04-10-2011 at 06:15 PM.

well..... it looks like we get to see what the mini countryman will do this Saturday! Wife "agreed" to try it out!

If any of the autocross committee wants to try it before we run to make sure it meets the guidelines let me know.

What traction control?

I think we had a Countryman run with us last year.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I think not, Woody. They've only been out for about 3-4 months now...

...I'm really just going so I can touch an M roadster again... You might want to stay back when I do it...

What traction control?

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    I think we had a Countryman run with us last year.
    That was a clubman - clearly not as ugly as the countryman!

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    That was a clubman - clearly not as ugly as the countryman!
    ...says the red clown shoe...

edit: doesn't look the same here as Bfc.... I better find a new smilie....

What traction control?

well, it could be worse looking. It could be a Beetle.

Thread Information