Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
My problem with Subaru is that they've gone all numb and disconnected. I liked my '02 WRX, aside from the ghastly clutch/flywheel. Even the turbo lag was entertaining. Newer ones seem to have lost a lot of what made the '02 feel good.

I'm not in any way claiming that the Countryman is faster. I'm just saying that it will feel a thousand times better to drive. Control response is my big, big thing. Subaru control response is very Japanese. The gas pedal is feather light (unacceptable, I find it incredibly annoying to have to hold my foot up while driving), the steering response is both numb and weird (the '02 WRX had brilliant steering, but for some idiotic reason they messed with it), and the Subarus have the hideous front overhang that is characteristic of FWD platforms. At least Minis don't have half the car's weight hanging out in front of the axle.

I've wanted to like Subaru for a while. I like manual seats (the only vehicle K and I have with power seats is her 993T), the M3 has cloth, and the fact that Subaru is at least trying to offer an enthusiast vehicle is appealing. Unfortunately, they've achieved it through brute force, and they've tried too hard to become civilized.

Mind you, you will note that I haven't got a new BMW, either. There is nothing that they make today that I want. I wouldn't object to an E90 M3 as a daily beater, but it's about the only current one I find tolerable.
things you note may be true.....but I guess for someone like me how a car is stock doesn't much matter. Obviously nothing can be done about the weight distro to make it like a RWD car - but I came from FWD V6 sedans so it's better than that, lol. But steering....some poly bushings makes a massive difference. I actually consider it now to be the best steering of any car I've owned (and I've owned a dozen plus) Stock suspension is a bit mushy (though firmer than older wrx's, I will note), but I'm running 330# springs with bilsteins - the way the car SHOULD have come in the first place.

Alot of subie gusy with older WRXs complain about the same things you said, but then half of them up and get the new WRX anyhow, knowing that a few tweaks make it a far more capable car than a bugeye, for instance. And with some actual legroom in the backseat and fold-down back seats to the trunk

Not sure what you mean about the gas pedal though. I just got back from a week in Germany driving an Audi A4 2.0 TDI wagon, and the gas and brake on that car are ULTRA-light. The Subaru when I got back felt like pressing down a ton of bricks for any of the three pedals, lol.

in any case, I guess that's why they make so many cars, lol. Subaru was one of the "rawest" cars I could find new in late '08 so I got it (I did dive an E46 330ci, a few Audis, and other cars as well). We like what we like