Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
highway safety school - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: highway safety school

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR
    Does it make sense to sign up for both days? Highway school on satruday followed by drivers school on sunday? I am also a complete noob to this
    The answer is "absolutely". This is not a requirement, but we strongly encourage people to attend both days of this weekend. If (as you say) you're a complete noob, there is no way you'll be able to retain (and put to use) all the things you learn on Saturday. Having the opportunity to "practice" some more on Sunday is of tremendous benefit.

If your schedule permits, definitely sign-up for both days.
    Rafael Garces
    NCC Street Survival Coordinator
    NCC Past President (2003-2005)
    '16 BMW 340i - Estoril Blue, M-Sport, Track Handling Package
    '13 Porsche Boxster S, Amaranth Red

Quote Originally Posted by David Hicks
    My point is that a full face helmet is not always the best choice. Many pro's choose not to use them when they can. The SCCA might possibly restrict their use in cars with airbags as early as this season or next. If the person asking for advice were to buy a full face helmet and tries to do SCCA autox or driver's schools next season, and the full helmets are disallowed, he'd have to buy another helmet.
    David,

First, thanks for posting the quote from the SCCA. This is so completely contrary to what I would expect that I'm glad to read the source document. I'd still like to see more about what the SCCA is doing about this issue.

What surprised me the most was that I thought having a full face helmet would actually protect your jaw better than an open helmet? Isn't that the point of having the full-face? Wierd, that it would be the opposite.

I agree with Steven, that you can't equate what the FIA Rally drivers are wearing to what a driving school student in a non-race prepared car should wear.
    Rafael Garces

I will definitely attend both days... What do you guys usually do for overnight stay? Is it common for people to find nearby hotels or campout at the track? If camping out, what do you suggest one bring along? Also, what do you guys think about bringing a friend or a family member for the weekend? Will they be completely bored out of their minds?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rafgar
    David,

First, thanks for posting the quote from the SCCA. This is so completely contrary to what I would expect that I'm glad to read the source document. I'd still like to see more about what the SCCA is doing about this issue.

What surprised me the most was that I thought having a full face helmet would actually protect your jaw better than an open helmet? Isn't that the point of having the full-face? Wierd, that it would be the opposite.

I agree with Steven, that you can't equate what the FIA Rally drivers are wearing to what a driving school student in a non-race prepared car should wear.
    Rafael,
    Here's some more info on the subject. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78914

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Thank you for all the informative post it will make it easy for me to make a decision.

Andrew

There was a LOT of discussion when this came out on SCCAForums. And overall the evidence is NOT in support of drastic measures. It came from one article, without a lot of evidence to back up the conclusion (IIRC). Is there a potential for some extra trouble, yes. But there is also a potential for extra trouble in wearing any helmet.

Sorry, but I will continue to wear a full faced helmet in all cars.
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
    SCCA Spec Racer Ford Red/White

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AG
    You should get a closed face SA rated helmet. I don't know if the SA2005 helmets are out yet, however those will be good for another 10 years. The certification on the currrent crop of helmets expires in 5 years.

As far a brands go, you must try before you buy. Not all helmets are shaped the same and some will fit much better than others.
    I thought you were supposed to replace a helmet every five years, regardless of whether or not the Snell certification has expired?

As for the helmets -- don't shop only by price. Bell and Simpson both fit differently, and different models have different fits, too. If you plan on attending more HPDE's and/or autocrossing in the future, buy a good helmet that fits comfortably and snugly. Although it's very clichĂƒÆ’Ă‚Â©d, remember that the helmet is made to protect your head and only 'buy a $10 helmet if that's all you think your head is worth.' [/clichĂƒÆ’Ă‚Â©]

Also, think about a good pair of thin-soled, narrow shoes -- they don't necessarily need to be high-end racing shoes (nomex lined), but a good pair of leather-upper wrestling shoes (like the Adidas Tyrint) will give you the same pedal feel as a pair of racing boots for much less money. (Nomex is always a good idea if you can afford it, but you can always buy nomex socks for some fire protection.)

I will definitely attend both days... What do you guys usually do for overnight stay? Is it common for people to find nearby hotels or campout at the track? If camping out, what do you suggest one bring along? Also, what do you guys think about bringing a friend or a family member for the weekend? Will they be completely bored out of their minds?
    Although I usually just commute daily from Arlington (waking up at O'dark hundred ensures that I'm awake and alert by the time tech opens at 7am), there are a couple of decent hotels in Charlestown -- nothing fancy, but a reasonably clean room at okay prices. [NCCBMWCCA Page on Accommodations]

As for family members... make sure that they realize that they're going to be doing a lot of sitting outside, with very little to see. (No ride-alongs and rarely are there instructor laps for non-students/non-corner workers.) If they're into motorsports photography, they'll have a ball or, they could venture to the main circuit, if there's a race/HPDE to watch at the Carousel. As for children -- I think they'd get bored pretty quickly and I'm always afraid of what might happen if a couple of kids are running around the paddock during the process of gridding-up for a group to go on the track. (No kids of my own, yet... but they're a relatively rare sight, unless you bring two cars, so they can escape the track when they get antsy and/or want a bite to eat.)

BTW, congrats for making the right decision and starting out with the HwySS -- it taught me so much and gave me the confidence in myself and my car that I needed for the ensuing drivers' schools (and autocrosses). (And the double helping of skidpad time during the Safety School is incredibly valuable.)

And the AutoX school might also be a good primer, if you can make it...

Edit: For shoes, I've got a pair of Addidas Ferox boots, now $30 on Eastbay. The color is by no means mild, but the fit is good, the design durable, and the tongue keeps the laces out of the pedal.

Last edited by SharkD; 03-09-2005 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Addidas Ferox info

Thanks SharkD, really good information. BTW, when/how does one know if they have been admitted to the driving school? I sent out my registration form w/check on the 4th. Is the check deposited only if you get in?

Thanks SharkD, really good information. BTW, when/how does one know if they have been admitted to the driving school? I sent out my registration form w/check on the 4th. Is the check deposited only if you get in?
    You'll get a nice fat envelope in the mail about a week after registration closes. Sort of like college acceptance letters . Anyway, checks might not get deposited until well after the school. That was the case with one of the schools I attended last year.

We have received around 24 registration forms so far so it's a pretty good chance you are in since the school is not filled yet.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    We have received around 24 registration forms so far so it's a pretty good chance you are in since the school is not filled yet.
    If it were any other weekend but Mother's Day weekend....
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY
    Yea, but Mother's Day is Sunday and the HSS is on Saturday. So, what's the problem?? ;-)
    Rafael Garces

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY
    Yeah, you might have to reschedule your Mothers' Day celebrations if you attend the Sunday HPDE, but the upshot is you get to celebrate my birthday a whole day early. (Now, honestly, who could resist that?)

Yes, helmets should be replaced every 5 years. Personally I wouldn't worry for DEs and autocross. But racing, ABSOLUTELY.

As for shoes, Puma makes a bunch of very nice driving shoes, some in cooperations with Sparco. A pretty long thread over on BimmerFest in the Motorsports forum about shoes. My wife an I have Sparco/Puma Speedcats for driving. I use racing shoes (and a full Nomex suit) for DE. One extended stay in a burn center per lifetime is enough (my first one was NOT driving related).
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
    SCCA Spec Racer Ford Red/White

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone
    I use racing shoes (and a full Nomex suit) for DE. One extended stay in a burn center per lifetime is enough (my first one was NOT driving related).
    Terry, I was thinking about a full suit for this year (I already run in nomex underwear, socks, gloves and balaclava) -- do they get uncomfortable in the mid-summer heat? Any recommendations on brand/style?

Also, can you PM that bimmerfest link on jacks and lifts that was published in GRM? (I cannot find that issue for the life of me.)

Thanks.

Thread Information