Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
highway safety school - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: highway safety school

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    Terry, I was thinking about a full suit for this year (I already run in nomex underwear, socks, gloves and balaclava) -- do they get uncomfortable in the mid-summer heat?
    j/k, right? I sweat thru my suit in races in october. In the summer it's miserable, and my suit is fairly thin and light.

Any recommendations on brand/style?
    I'd seriously consider the G-Force 545. Its thinner, lighter and has a better TPP than my Momo for half the price. Too bad it wasn't out when I bought mine.

Its not shiny though, so if you are looking for bling you will want to look elsewhere.

I should be around for the HSS. My fiancee has signed up for it. We'll be there with the new grey Camry.
    Last edited by JoelG; 03-15-2005 at 03:27 PM.

If you guys are interested, I get a small discount with a company (www.apexperformance.net) -- I believe around 10% off the price plus free shipping if you are going with another nomex suit. I can also get fairly good discounts on corbeau products from them.

I have not purchased the balaclava yet. I planned on just getting normal shoes ... like puma's. I will though, add a 2.3L fire suppression system in my car.

Hope to see you at the HSS Terry. I'd like to pick your brain on suspension setups and camber.

Banned

Nomex at DS

Why? Maybe the gloves. And then try not to wear leather shoes if you are concerned about fire. FYI in a fire leather shrinks and can crush the bones in your feet in a fire. Same with leather gloves. At least that is what i heard. A full suit makes you like a poseur. In the June, July, August and September the full suit is more of liability than a help. Can't ever remember hearing about a car fire at a drivers school. Woody have you ever heard of one? PCA, CCA, Car gGuys etc?

I sure hope not, don't scare us noobs!

Banned

Most Incidents at Drivers Schools Happen ?

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR
    I sure hope not, don't scare us noobs!
    Never heard of a fire. Most incidents happen in the middle group on Sunday after lunch. Usually your next to last track session. Unless the stats have changed.
    Almost always driver error. Usually on the big track it is either turn 3 or turn 9/10 depending on how you count. Sometimes the chute. FWIW worth my advice tell yourself you have to drive the car home and run by yourself not in groups. Oh and learn to read you sheep and your dog. . Woops sorry got confused wrong event.

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan
    Never heard of a fire.
    Once I had a student that had a brake fire. It was at a NJ chapter school on the Jefferson Circuit.

In retrospect it seems kinda funny. He said the brakes were going away so I told him to bring it in. We pulled into the paddock and a crowd gatherered. I jumped out to see what was up and the R. front caliper was burning. I yelled for someone to get an extinguisher but everyone stood there. Either they couldn't hear me from inside my helmet or they were dumbfounded by the sight of flames. I pulled my communicator out (I was still tethered to my student) and ran and got one and put it out but by then the seals had completely burned away and his brake fluid was running on the ground. We ended up clamping that hose off with a vice grip, bleeding the other 3 brakes and the guy drove his car home with 3 brakes and a vice grip zip-tied to his strut.

Other than that I dont recall ever seeing a fire at a DE, much less the HSS. Most race car fires seem to be self-induced, either thru poor engineering or careless preparation. In a DE where most of the cars are late model street cars, its very, very unlikely.

oh man, I am already shaking in my boots for my first event ever. I am terrified of taking my new car there. I just hope everything goes well

Has anyone actually received their paperwork yet?

-- Jason

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR
    oh man, I am already shaking in my boots for my first event ever. I am terrified of taking my new car there. I just hope everything goes well
    Nah, don't be worried. (I shouldn't have brought up the Drivers' suits, sorry.) You're going to learn quite a bit, and you're going to have fun doing it.

As for the safety aspects -- once you get a feel for the car's limits, and more importantly, your limits (which will improve, trust me), you'll be able to get around the track quickly and safely. Just take it easy and at a pace that's comfortable with you -- and your instructors will not let you get yourself so deeply into trouble that you or your car will get hurt. (The NCC has some of the best instructors on the East Coast -- and that includes NASA, Mazda, PCA, MBC, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by jkuper
    Has anyone actually received their paperwork yet?
    I wouldn't expect it until a couple of days after registration closes on April 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    I wouldn't expect it until a couple of days after registration closes on April 1st.
    I never remember how these things work...thanks

-- Jason

Steve,

What's the latest tally on applicants?

Best,

PeteinMD

As of March 27, 36 registered for the HSS and 43 for Sunday.
    We are looking good. Nothing has gone out yet.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Bump for April 12th

-- Jason

Registration packets still have not gone out.
    Not my job mang.
    Contact Doug Verner. I know the CI was working on the handouts for the mailing.
    If this is delaying tech inspection, let me know.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Thread Information