Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
fuel tank leak

Thread: fuel tank leak

fuel tank leak

Well with spring coming around I decided to enjoy my 635. I filled it up with fuel on return from a recent outting. I parked the car on our drive which has a slight incline. I sensed a strong smell of gas. I removed the trunk carpet, access panel covering the fuel punp and sensor expecting a failed gasket. But everything was bone dry. So looking around under the car I found dripping fuel on the side of the tank near the filler.

The instructions to drop the tank in my Bentleys 528 manual looks straight forward. Any words of wisdom/advise before I venture forward ?
    Last edited by BINGO; 03-15-2011 at 07:38 PM.

I've done quite a bit to the E24, but haven't yet droipped the tank. Try posting your question on either of these two sites where there are many more active E24 folk:

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/bmw/bmw-6-series-e24/
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=237

Actually, it would be best to search the archives on the Roadfly site first. If that doesn't work, then post a question. And visit both often. If you work on your own car those sites are invaluable. Do you have the E28 Bentley manual?
    Greg Rea
    1985 M639 (arctic blue shark II)
    1989 E32/M30 (white whale)
    ex-1965 Ford Falcon Futura Convertible (302 H.O. auto, still in the family)
    ex-1986 E24 turbo (arctic blue shark I, sold 3/07)

While I haven't played with an E24, you can replace the fill and vent lines on an E30 without dropping the tank. I'd give that a shot before that. Dropping a full fuel tank is not fun.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Nick,

Since the fuel seemed to be coming from the fuel filler side I removed the rubber gasket around the filler and cleaned the filler pipe and the tank seams where I could reach. Next I topped off the tank and raised the front of the car alittle and waited to see where the leak. No leak occured. The next day walking by the car I noticed a strong fuel smell. I found the vent lines were leaking fuel !. I have a good diagram from the Penskey parts site ( http://www.penskeparts.com/DiagramsM...6&rnd=06222010 ) but my Bentley 528 manual does not have any instructions as to how to replace the lines. Would you tell me what you had to do to replace your vent lines ? Some advies would be appreciated. I'm pretty good with a wrench.

Thanks everyone for the advise and lead to roadfly. I found a great snip of info in the roadfly archives.
    http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/122...5#post12297495

Thread Information