Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Other Event 06/04/2011 - Autocross @ Cumberland Airport (*) - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 06/04/2011 - Autocross @ Cumberland Airport (*)

Also, any idea what time this will be until? I just saw on the previous it starts @ 9, but I have something to do at 1.

Any idea the time length?

You WON'T be done by 1pm. Should be done by 3:30-4:30. You can finish a bit earlier if you run 1st heat (work 3rd). The third heat is the American muscle heat....occasionally a few of us imports sprinkle in there as well. No way you are done prior to 2pm, though.

I'll just do it anyway. It seems like it will be a fun time regardless!

Quote Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz View Post
    I would get there a bit early....you will have to go through tech (it is only once a year). Usually first car is off around ~9:30. You should have plenty of time to register, tech, and walk the course if you get there by 8:15. Unless you switch tires on site, then you should plan accordingly. There is PLENTY of room for Sunday. The max entries is 100, not 75 like Saturday. Saturday has been sold out for over a week, and is the annual long course. There is plenty of cheap lodging near by for those not wanting to drive up early Sunday morning.
    So is Sunday's course shorter?

I was only going because of the long course, some 3rd gear?!, didn't know about any "short course" deal?

Sunday is a "normal" course. Expect the fast guys to be in the 50s range, and the median time to be in the mid-high 50's. Some cars will still need 3rd on a normal course up there. Saturday is the annual long course.

50's range? Something must be off because IIRC, I hit around 5k RPM in Sykesville on the one straight away, and my car is pretty slow. If this is as fast as everyone says it is, decent speed cars should be hitting 65-70+

Edit; actually the exact straight away in my signature that I'm slowing down from.

50 second course...not 50mph. I hit 65-70mph in my BSP Z pretty regularly up there. Probably 60mph (more than once) for most cars. I'm expecting 85mph on the Saturday long course....

Quote Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz View Post
    50 second course...not 50mph. I hit 65-70mph in my BSP Z pretty regularly up there. Probably 60mph (more than once) for most cars. I'm expecting 85mph on the Saturday long course....
    I expect to see the low 80's on the drive out from Balto., just cruisin' with the Prius's,lol

For those wondering how a "typical" course is....here is a vid from the last event. The courses tend to be very cone intensive. As you come through the transition.....there are a million cones in your line of sight. It's the only thing I don't like about the events up there. The clean run run was still good enough for fastest of the non-XP or open wheel cars. would have been 2nd or 3rd (6-7th raw) in pax had I kept the dirty run clean.

A few tips for those doing Cumberland for their first time.
    - The site of the airport is actually a few miles south of Cumberland in West Virginia. Follow the airport signs posted on I-68.

- I suggest you get there early to register, chose your run/work heats, number, and go through tech before walking the course, and attending the drivers' meeting.

- There is only one course walk, around 8:30am. If you're running the fourth heat, it is easy to forget the course. Ask me how I know.

- There is an on-site restaurant at the airport. They serve great food, but the service can be REAL SLOW. It doesn't open until 8am so you might miss the walk opportunity.

- The local Lions Club serves burgers, BBQ, hot dogs, water and sodas from a canopy near the paddock.

- They usually require you run/work heats 1 and 3, OR heats 2 and 4. Heat 3 is usually full of season subscribers.

- The grid is a LONG walk from the paddock. Take water, and anything else you might need with you to the grid.

- If you're driving up the night before, a cheap but clean 50s era hotel is The Slumberland Motel in Laval - about 6 miles west of the Airport exit. 301-729-2880. Park at your door.

- Friday nights in the summer the city hosts Friday After Five - a street party on the closed-to-traffic Baltimore Street. It's several blocks of restaurants and bars with sidewalk seating, bands, and vendors.
    Last edited by woodym3; 06-02-2011 at 02:12 PM.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I've always had enough time to walk the course 4-5 times. If you start walking at 8:30....you should have plenty of time to walk it 2 maybe even 3 times.

Had fun yesterday. The weather looked dicey this morning at 530 when I got up....so I stayed home (regretting it now). Coned away an 8th or 9th overall (~3rd in PAX). Mike Moran jumped in a BSP STI and took the class win at 71.0x. My reaction says it all at the end of the video.....

that course makes me tired just watching it on video....

Course was so long the workers on the far side were driven to their work stations! Did hit about 85mph on the course.

Thread Information