Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Chapter Event 08/06/2011 - Bimmerfest Comes to the East Coast (*)
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 08/06/2011 - Bimmerfest Comes to the East Coast (*)

08/06/2011 - Bimmerfest Comes to the East Coast (*)

Aberdeen Maryland August 6th 2011:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/bmw-events...est-East-2011/

Quote Originally Posted by tmcneish View Post
    Bummer that this conflicts with our Drivers' School.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Bummer that this conflicts with our Drivers' School.
    If Bimmerfest east is the same crowd as Bimmerfest west, there is not much of a conflict.
    I've been to Bimmerfest. Those guys don't go the track unless you call the freeway and city streets, a track.
    It's more of a show and shine crowd.

Added: Out of the 100 or so involved with the DE, I'd be surprised if more than a few would be disappointed missing Bimmerfest.
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 02-19-2011 at 07:36 PM.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    If Bimmerfest east is the same crowd as Bimmerfest west, there is not much of a conflict.
    I've been to Bimmerfest. Those guys don't go the track unless you call the freeway and city streets, a track.

Added: Out of the 100 or so involved with the DE, I'd be surprised if more than a few would be disappointed missing Bimmerfest.
    +1

I find it funny they'll let this go on at Ripken Stadium, but not autocross. Is the city now getting a cut of Ripken's revenue?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
    +1

I find it funny they'll let this go on at Ripken Stadium, but not autocross. Is the city now getting a cut of Ripken's revenue?
    The deal went bad for Aberdeen, they were originally getting the parking revenue, but never did, since parking was free.

I agree 100%, but there are a few (limited) of us hybrid guys out there that enjoy heading to the track but also like the see the new "fads" out there. I venture to say that many of these guys don't properly know / understand track events either and that's why they showcase their skills on the street. My experience and observations about most HPDE programs (BMW included) is that it focuses on the "older" population and is not very inviting to younger guys. This doesn't bother me one bit, but others have been deterred due to this. (Note: This is just an opinion and should only be used as that. It is not meant to be condescending, etc.)

And yeah, WTF to the Ripken stuff!

My experience and observations about most HPDE programs (BMW included) is that it focuses on the "older" population and is not very inviting to younger guys.
    The HPDEs I go to have a wide range of ages. They may not be inviting because some people just want to drive fast. I hear it all the time. How fast can I go? I don't want an instructor! I just want to drive. HPDE programs aren't really for them.

There is some crossover between events, but from my experience, very little.
    There are the concours guys, autocrossers, DEs, DIY, tour and show & shine crowd. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    It's good to have something for everyone.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Can someone tell me - is Bimmerfest anything more than a big car show?
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    Can someone tell me - is Bimmerfest anything more than a big car show?
    That's pretty much it.

Jonathan and Steven, I have to disagree with both of you. Our HPDEs include lots of drivers in their young to mid-20s. And I saw lots of DE and race people at the Vintage at the Vineyard event in North Carolina last year.
    Woody

I don't say BMW CCA DEs don't attract young drivers. I think they attract a different type of young driver.
    One who is not just concerned how fast they can go.
    Vintage in the Vineyard seems to have generated into a little Woodstock.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

I don't say BMW CCA DEs don't attract young drivers.
    It was Jonathan that said that.
    Woody

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    It was Jonathan that said that.
    I sure did, and I'm sticking with my opinion I think there can be much more done to bring in younger guys that will ensure that these programs will perpetually exist. I'm not going to get on my soapbox here!

But back onto topic ...

There's already 400+ that have shown interest in attending this event - http://www.bimmerfest.com/bmw-events...st-2011/stats/ - that's pretty impressive considering that it's 5 months away. They do a good job getting the word out.

I sure did, and I'm sticking with my opinion I think there can be much more done to bring in younger guys that will ensure that these programs will perpetually exist. I'm not going to get on my soapbox here!

But back onto topic ...

There's already 400+ that have shown interest in attending this event - http://www.bimmerfest.com/bmw-events...st-2011/stats/ - that's pretty impressive considering that it's 5 months away. They do a good job getting the word out.

Since I have met a fair amount of these younger owners at various events - I'll make a few observations of what I have learned:

> There is much more of a focus of showing up to a show/display your car event. Really large events are considered far more desirable. The focus is on "hanging out" - which is the main draw.
    > The idea of going on a track is not of much interest. A fair number of folks thought I was out of my mind (Disclaimer: There might be some truth to that)
    > Modifying your car is a major interest. Most (not all) of these mods are for appearance...carbon fiber, aerodynamic mods etc.
    > There is IMO a generational gap of interests

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Since I have met a fair amount of these younger owners at various events - I'll make a few observations of what I have learned:

> There is much more of a focus of showing up to a show/display your car event. Really large events are considered far more desirable. The focus is on "hanging out" - which is the main draw.
    > The idea of going on a track is not of much interest. A fair number of folks thought I was out of my mind (Disclaimer: There might be some truth to that)
    > Modifying your car is a major interest. Most (not all) of these mods are for appearance...carbon fiber, aerodynamic mods etc.
    > There is IMO a generational gap of interests

Alan
    Wow, I guess I'll be one of the few there on Social Security, and wondering why they don't all autocross, they might as well have bought a Prius!

Thread Information