Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 103

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Chapter Event 03/05/2011 - NCCAutocross School - Bowie, MD
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 03/05/2011 - NCCAutocross School - Bowie, MD

03/05/2011 - NCCAutocross School - Bowie, MD

By etherpool at 2010-02-21

NCC Autocross School - 03/5/2011

On Saturday, March 5th, 2011, the NCC Autocross program will be conducting its first autocross school for 2011. This school is designed for novices. NCC members and non-members are invited to attend.

Autocross is a safe, low-speed motorsport where competitors drive against the clock to turn in the best times as they navigate a driving course defined by orange parking cones in a large, open lot. The Autocross School is the best way for new and budding autocross participants to learn more about autocross and improve their driving performance through a combination of classroom education and in-car instruction by some of the best instructors in the Washington DC area. Come join us at the Bowie Baysox Stadium for a fun and educational day filled with safe but adrenaline raising motorsport.

Classroom sessions will include a variety of topics to help novice participants better understand what goes on in a day of autocross, and what they will likely be seeing and hearing around them as they participate in the motorsport. Instruction on how to prepare both the car and driver for autocross, how to register, tech inspect, work a course, and safety topics will get you up to speed with the day-of operations for participating in autocross. Then, drivers will learn how to make the most of their runs by examining techniques like walking the course to determine good run lines, throttle modulation (your gas pedal is not an on-off switch!), and when to brake. Classroom discussions will also cover basic handling conditions such as 'oversteer' and 'understeer' you may have heard of, and how to correct them, and try to prevent these issues to give you your best runs.

When not in classroom sessions, it's time to put all of your newfound knowledge to work. Get ready to buckle up and drive, as you will get run after run to put your training and skills to the test with a series of handling and stopping challenges as you gear up to run a full autocross course. With one of our excellent instructors at your side, you will continue to receive guidance to improve your performance and lower your lap times. As you learn how to pick your turn-in points, choose your braking zones and work the throttle wisely, you will notice a consistent improvement in how your car handles confidently and smartly through the sea of cones.

There is no better way to get started in autocross than with the NCC Autocross School. Whether you've done a few events in the past, or if you've never been out to a course before, you'll find the program educational and the skills you learn useful not just on the autocross course, but for all of the driving you do. Our staff is ready to answer any questions you will have and will ensure you get personalized attention and instruction to overcome any concerns or issues. We are ready to introduce you to the fast and fun world of autocross, are you ready to join? Register now as space in our Autocross Schools are limited to the first 20 participants to ensure small class groups and personalized instruction.

The Essentials ...

Registration

Please register using Motorsport Reg here: http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...83D8E335932C66

Registration will open Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:00AM EST.

Attendance at the school is via online registration ONLY. No Exceptions! Prepayment of admission is required.

Registrations are non-refundable and non-transferable.

Date:Saturday, March 5th, 2011

4101 Crain Highway
    Bowie, MD, 20716

Cost: $60.00

Class Curriculum

08:00 AM – Students Arrive

08:15 AM- Welcome to Autocross
    · Student check-in
    · All students must sign insurance waiver.
    · What should I expect from today?
    · How will this make me a better driver?

08:30 AM - Tech Inspection Overview
    · What is tech inspection?
    · How do you perform a tech inspection?
    · Students tech inspect another classmates vehicle.

09:00 AM - Working The Course Overview
    · What is working the course?
    · Why is working the course important?
    · What are the different worker positions?
    · What are cone penalties and how are the assessed?
    · What should I do in case of an on course emergency?

09:15 AM - First Concepts Classroom Session

10:00 AM – Morning Driving Exercises
    · Three 40 minute driving sessions with personal instruction on three different short courses

12:00 PM - Lunch Time
    · Lunch provided for all attendees.

12:30 PM - Advanced Classroom Session

01:15 PM - Guided Coursewalk
    · How do I walk a course?
    · Why is walking the course necessary?
    · How do you remember all of this?

01:45 PM – Afternoon Driving Exercises
    · Driving sessions with personal instruction on the full course. Target of 5 runs each.

04:00 PM – Course Completion/Lot Cleanup
    · Students to assist with packing up all autocross equipment.

A few additional notes.
    ~We would like to keep the 20 available slots open for novices.
    ~We always need instructors! Anyone who would like to help can email me at fudgelunch@gmail.com.

Any problem if I hang out while my wife takes the school? Don't need to drive, would just stay in the background and maybe video and would be happy to help out with logistics.
    Tim_in_MD
    76 2002
    86 911
    14 GMC Sierra Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_in_MD View Post
    Any problem if I hang out while my wife takes the school? Don't need to drive, would just stay in the background and maybe video and would be happy to help out with logistics.
    Tim,

In the past, we've openly welcomed extra help / spectators. And I'm sure that we wouldn't mind you jumping in to shag a cone or help set up an exercise either. The more the merrier IMO.

Jonathan

Registration is open.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Tim,

In the past, we've openly welcomed extra help / spectators. And I'm sure that we wouldn't mind you jumping in to shag a cone or help set up an exercise either. The more the merrier IMO.

Jonathan
    Awesome. My wife Beth is signed up and I'll be there to lend a hand with whatever.

Thanks!
    Tim_in_MD
    76 2002
    86 911
    14 GMC Sierra Z71

Do instructors need to be current club members?
    http://autocrossr.blogspot.com/
    1986 Toyota AE86
    2008 mx5 prht stormy blue

Quote Originally Posted by hepcatz View Post
    Do instructors need to be current club members?
    Once again, I'm going to speak from past schools ...

We like to see that all our participants and instructors are BMWCCA members, but realistically we aren't that picky. Pending the individual possesses the necessary skills and experience to be able to properly instruct, we openly welcome all instructors. Simply stated, beggars can't be choosers - it's also MUCH easier on instructors the closer to 1:1 student:instructor we can get. etherpool is coordinating the instructor core for this school - please take a moment to PM him. Hopefully I'll see you there!

I'm just helping out since Doug's been so busy getting the season finalized.

Jonathan is right, we aren't that picky. Having good qualified instructors is really important so we welcome people who are willing to help. We will win you over to club membership with our charm!

I'll see you guys there. Looking forward to helping out some folks.

Do we get to setup different courses/exercises?

Registration is filling up! 10 Spots remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by joenationwide View Post
    I'll see you guys there. Looking forward to helping out some folks.

Do we get to setup different courses/exercises?
    If it's modeled after last years schools, there will be a few drills in the AM session and a longer course in the PM. The schedule posted in the original post leads to that conclusion also.

Yep. We may even use the same course design since it was so good. Unless Sam wants to design something new.

Sweet, I'll send you a PM.
    http://autocrossr.blogspot.com/
    1986 Toyota AE86
    2008 mx5 prht stormy blue

Only 6 Spots left!

Thread Information