Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Engine Oil Leak

Thread: Engine Oil Leak

Lightbulb Engine Oil Leak

The mechanic changed engine oil and found engine oil leak. He pointed out that valve cover gasket or oil filter housing could be possible location for the leak. But, fresh oil was sprayed out all over the place, both left and right sides under the hood when he took the bottom cover off. He can't tell until he cleans it and traces the leak.

Actually, I replaced a valve cover gasket one month ago. Didn't I replace a new valve cover gasket properly? Can it lead to leak? I don't have lifts. How can I examine it?

Just a week ago, I found that temperature gauge does not increase up to the middle point, where it should stay once engine is warm. I am near DC. It is very cold these days. But, it does not reach the middle and stays slightly low, maybe 11 o'clock after 30 min driving. I wonder if this could be related to the hot engine oil leak....or just broken.

Let me get your comments. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robojoo3231 View Post
    But, fresh oil was sprayed out all over the place, both left and right sides under the hood when he took the bottom cover off. He can't tell until he cleans it and traces the leak.
    What cover are you talking about here? Do you have any pictures?

I want to help you out, but need some more information.

1. What car do you have?
    2. You can improperly install the valve cover gasket and not torque it down properly.
    3. Cleaning up the mess will help you and the mechanic determine where the oil is coming from.
    4. Temp gauge probably isn't related to the oil leak.
    5. A lift is not necessary, but helpful to access the lower engine compartment. Do you have a floor jack and jack stands?
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Red face THanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    What cover are you talking about here? Do you have any pictures?

I want to help you out, but need some more information.

When I change engine oil, the black square cover that I need to screw out is what I meant.
    There are oil drops inside the cover, which are dripping on the floor.

THanks.

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    1. What car do you have?

---- 2000 323i wagon

2. You can improperly install the valve cover gasket and not torque it down properly.

---- Then, I have to redo it for sure?

3. Cleaning up the mess will help you and the mechanic determine where the oil is coming from.
    4. Temp gauge probably isn't related to the oil leak.
    5. A lift is not necessary, but helpful to access the lower engine compartment. Do you have a floor jack and jack stands?
    --- I do not have a floor jack and jack stands....

Thank you

Why did you replace the valve cover gasket? If there was no leak prior to your replacing the valve cover gasket, and now you have a leak - then you probably made a mistake in replacing it and will need to do this task again. However, if you replaced the valve cover gasket in an attempt to fix an undiagnosed oil leak, then it would seem that the valve cover gasket is not the issue.

The best thing that you can do right now is to follow the suggestion of cleaning up the mess and trying to pinpoint where the leak is coming from. You might be able to see something from the top of the engine compartment, but you'll likely need to enlist the help of your mechanic or a friend with floor jack and jack stands.

For the oil leak another important thing is to make sure you check your oil regularly, since you know that you have a leak.

(As far as the temperature goes, I agree with John that it's probably unrelated. You should probably check your coolant level, and keep an eye on it on warmer and cooler days to see if it ever comes to temperature in that 30 minute time frame. Also, if you ever drive it longer than that, keep an eye on that and see if it comes to the middle over a longer period of time.)
    I'm the only 4 cylinder in this village!
    Caroline Miller
    LDIY Co Chair
    '97 Alaska Blau 318ti
    '95 Avus Blau M3

your thermostat has failed in the open position not allowing the car to warm up. I'll bet your gas mileage has gone down as well. You need to replace the tstat and if you are not certain about the health of your water pump you might as well change it out too. How old is the radiator and expansion tank? You can get away with just replacing the tstat, but most will tell you that this is a good time for a complete cooling system refresh.

HTH

John

Question Engine Oil Leak

I posted the question about engine oil leak a while ago.

With good comments, I examined the engine room from the top (since I don't have a jack) and took some photos showing the parts wet with oily dust.

When I look from a front grill, the left side of the engine (passenger side) are wet from the front through the middle end. The front grill behind the pulleys are most wet.

I can also see some wet part below the right side of the engine (driver side), behind engine oil filter housing.

Here is the photo.
    What would you think the leak comes from? Can I say oil separator?

ThanksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9722.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	1307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine Oil Leak.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	1308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9723.jpg 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	1309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9725.jpg 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	1310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9726.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	1311

Since you installed new vc gaskets, the vanos oil return hose and oil filter housing gasket are probably shot.
    the go bad on e46 around 55k-65k.
    your tbermostat is bad. You need a new thermostat. In addition you should change your waterpump
    T-stat, expansion tank and upper and lower hoses.
    I just did everything on my 2005 330cic e46 @70k.

I didn't replace the hoses and expansion tank, but the T-stat and pump are a must.

Thread Information