Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Replacement tires for my Z4

Thread: Replacement tires for my Z4

Replacement tires for my Z4

Hi Folks,
    I've seen a couple related threads on this subject but nothing which quite answers my question, so I'm putting up a new post.

It's time to replace the tires on my model year 2008 Z4 3.0. I know some of you dont like them, but I'm quite happy with my run flat tires and want to get the same as replacements. They're Bridgestone Potenza RE050 RFT size 225/45R17 91Ws.

I had to get a new pair of tires a couple years ago, after driving over a screw in my garage (oops), went to the dealer and paid A LOT. I dont want to repeat the experience.

Where do you like to go for new tires, and how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks!

Try Radial Tire in Silver Spring. They can get almost any tire you want at good prices (similar pricing to Tire Rack). RFTs aren't cheap, prob around $250/each.

Tire Van is another option where they come to you and mount them. Not sure what their pricing is, but obviously more than a brick-and-mortar.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

replacement tires, cont'd

Paul,

You're right -- I checked tirerack.com and they're priced at $242 each. I've called around and gotten quotes ranging from $280 at Arlington auto care to $260 at Alexandria BMW (which doesnt include $140 for labor and $7 in valve stems). I've been on the phone with Curry's in Arlington, who offered to come close to the tirerack price ($260 + $25 installation, per tire) for a total cost of $1140.

Different question: Can you or anyone make some recommendations as to either a winter tire or all-season tire for a Z4?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewgoldin View Post
    Different question: Can you or anyone make some recommendations as to either a winter tire or all-season tire for a Z4?
    I love my Blizzaks and they are usually one of the highest rated winter tires. I use TireRack's website a lot for comparisons and reviews too

Paul,

You're right -- I checked tirerack.com and they're priced at $242 each. I've called around and gotten quotes ranging from $280 at Arlington auto care to $260 at Alexandria BMW (which doesnt include $140 for labor and $7 in valve stems). I've been on the phone with Curry's in Arlington, who offered to come close to the tirerack price ($260 + $25 installation, per tire) for a total cost of $1140.

I've heard lots of good things about the Blizzaks. My second set of wheels have Dunlop Winter Sport SPs on them, bought the wheels and tires both from Tirerack.com (Gary). I do not go with run flats (and have a second set of tires, Toyos, bought from Radial Tire, that are also not run flats). I like all of these tires, but also don't have major gripes about the RFTs (other than price and susceptabillity to sidewall damage).

Ed York told me something important to keep in mind with run flats -- taking them on and off of wheels can be difficult and damaging to the tire, given the stiff sidewalls on the runflats. You might want to consider getting a second set of wheels and tires for the snows, to avoid damaging the runflats.

Guys,
    Thanks for the thoughtful and informed comments.

I like the thought of having dedicated winter and summer tires and can talk myself into spending the money it's just that the notion of setting myself up for two service calls a year and hauling tires back and forth from the shop in my small car doesn't really appeal to me. Since I do "spirited" driving, at best, my guess is a quality set of all season tires will probably do it.

After having spent entirely too much time on tirerack.com today, I'm sold on the Pirelli PZero Nero All Season RFT, and they come in $70 less than the Bridgestone Potenza's I'd looked at earlier. Any comments about that tire?

changing wheels only takes 30 mins, no visit to the dealership for that. we have a DIY program where you could do it yourself.

if you're doing spirited driving in the summer and winter, all seasons wont cut it IMO

Paul,
    I hear ya, it's just that the DIYs are tough for me to attend sometimes, as I often have to work weekends...

It turns out the Pirellis are "backordered" with no expected arrival date, so I went with an option recommended by Bart at tirerack.com -- Continental ProContact SSRs, for $200 ea (including shipping). On the recommendation of a coworker, I sent them to Royal Service in Alexandria. I had initially planned on using Curry's in Arlington for purchase as well as installation but decided against it when they didn't get around to returning my phone calls. I'll keep you posted.

All,
    Here's my "final report".

Overall I am very pleased with the total experience provided by the Tirerack and Royal Service combination. As I described above, I went with tirerack.com because I was able to get a good recommendation for replacement tires at a competitive price. Tirerack provided me email updates and they arrived at the installation center of my choice only two days after placing the order. I received both email notification of their arrival as well as a phone call from Jim at Royal Service. I set up an appointment for the day after and arrived at 7am. Mount and balance tires took a little less than an hour, and since I had some extra time I got the state safety inspection as well.

By the numbers:
    1. Tirerack: A set of four all-season Continental 225/45R17 Pro Contact SSR (runflats) 91H, including shipping: $800
    2. Royal Service: Mount, balance tires: $99.80, Tire disposal: $16, Tire pressure monitor system: $20. No additional charge for installation of runflats. Total at Royal: $142.59
    Total cost: $942.59

Cheers:
    * Tirerack.com sales, customer service and information on website. You can really educate yourself with all the information they've provided.
    * Royal Service for prompt call, servicing, and quality work
    * I seem to like the ride on the new tires, better than the OEM tires.

Jeers:
    Curry's / Arlington for
    a) NOT telling me I could have tirerack ship to their Falls Church location and
    b) Not calling me back after I'd called for information at least a couple times.

Bottom line:
    Jim at Royal Service said that "Once you use tire rack you'll never get tires another way" -- and I think he's right!
    Last edited by andrewgoldin; 01-21-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: additional comment

All,
    Here's my "final report".

Overall I am very pleased with the total experience provided by the Tirerack and Royal Service combination. As I described above, I went with tirerack.com because I was able to get a good recommendation for replacement tires at a competitive price. Tirerack provided me email updates and they arrived at the installation center of my choice only two days after placing the order. I received both email notification of their arrival as well as a phone call from Jim at Royal Service. I set up an appointment for the day after and arrived at 7am. Mount and balance tires took a little less than an hour, and since I had some extra time I got the state safety inspection as well.

By the numbers:
    1. Tirerack: A set of four all-season Continental 225/45R17 Pro Contact SSR (runflats) 91H, including shipping: $800
    2. Royal Service: Mount, balance tires: $99.80, Tire disposal: $16, Tire pressure monitor system: $20. No additional charge for installation of runflats. Total at Royal: $142.59
    Total cost: $942.59

Cheers:
    * Tirerack.com sales, customer service and information on website. You can really educate yourself with all the information they've provided.
    * Royal Service for prompt call, servicing, and quality work
    * I seem to like the ride on the new tires, better than the OEM tires.

Jeers:
    Curry's / Arlington for
    a) NOT telling me I could have tirerack ship to their Falls Church location and
    b) Not calling me back after I'd called for information at least a couple times.

Bottom line:
    Jim at Royal Service said that "Once you use tire rack you'll never get tires another way" -- and I think he's right!
    I would call an "additional charge for run flats" rubbing salt into a wound after paying $116 for mounting/balancing/disposal, do they mount/balance for free if you buy the tires there? Amen on Tire rack, evryone I know uses them, and me as their tire mounter, not sure if thats good?!lol

Call Paul @ Radial Tire.

(301) 585-2740
    Paul Marconus
    9101 Brookville Road
    Silver Spring, MD 20910
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Thread Information