Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Impact wrench

Thread: Impact wrench

Impact wrench

Is it just me or do you have almost no leverage when you're on your back underneath a car? Any recommendations for an impact wrench for doing basic maintenance and beyond (fluid replacement, brakes, bushings, front axles, etc.)?
    Mike, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP SMG, 2005 E46 325xiT

Quote Originally Posted by agreatham View Post
    Is it just me or do you have almost no leverage when you're on your back underneath a car? Any recommendations for an impact wrench for doing basic maintenance and beyond (fluid replacement, brakes, bushings, front axles, etc.)?
    Sounds to me like you need a breaker bar, not an impact.

You have an air compressor? If so, I'll recommend anything with IR on it. All top notch.

Agree, IR is solid. Add a quality retractable hose reel to your budget if possible.

That being said, I use my simple 1/2" breaker bar or a closed end wrench and a couple taps with a dead blow mallet to loosen tough bolts and nuts.
    Greg Rea
    1985 M639 (arctic blue shark II)
    1989 E32/M30 (white whale)
    ex-1965 Ford Falcon Futura Convertible (302 H.O. auto, still in the family)
    ex-1986 E24 turbo (arctic blue shark I, sold 3/07)

I use my battery powered DeWalt impact that I also use for lugnuts at auto-x's.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Sounds to me like you need a breaker bar, not an impact.
    I think I'll start with that. All my sockets are 3/8" so the longest breaker bar I have is 10". I'll upgrade to a 1/2" and a dead blow mallet like gkrea1 says and see if that's all I need.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    You have an air compressor? If so, I'll recommend anything with IR on it. All top notch.
    No air compressor ... yet.

1/2 breaker bar with a 1/2-3/8 adapter.
    I sometimes use my jack handle for extra leverage.
    That an PB Blaster.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Got an 18" long 1/2" breaker bar with the socket adapter. Worked like a charm on the transfer case. Thanks for the tips! BTW, should I put anti-seize on the transmission plugs? Or is that only something you do on fasteners that get hot?

No, don't put anti-sieze on ANYTHING that has a torque spec unless the Bentley or shop manual calls for it. I've only used copper anti-sieze on exhaust manifold studs & nuts, and brake disk retention screws. "Wet" hardware near the water pump will receive thread sealant, but that acts more as a thread locker than anti-sieze.
    Greg Rea
    1985 M639 (arctic blue shark II)
    1989 E32/M30 (white whale)
    ex-1965 Ford Falcon Futura Convertible (302 H.O. auto, still in the family)
    ex-1986 E24 turbo (arctic blue shark I, sold 3/07)

Thread Information