Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2010) Best Autocross Street Tire? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: (2010) Best Autocross Street Tire?

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    There's at least one more - the Yokohama AD08. With so many choices, this probably doesn't help answer your original question. I'll also point out that some people feel a 17" wheel on an E30 M3 is not ideal for performance. On the other hand, many of the tires listed above, are not available in a 15, or even 16", size.
    Woody,
    I bought the car with 17" SSR wheels already on it. The car has a Brembo big brake kit on it so 15" and 16" wheels wont fit. Looks like for the price and performance the Direzza's are a good choice. Now I just have to decide between 215 40 17 (fit w/o problem) or 235 40 17 (some "slight" rubbing up front).

Thanks, Fernando.

Lose the BBK. It just makes you go slower. All that extra rotating mass with a wider diameter isn't helpful. The stock brakes are quite good, so there's no reason to handicap yourself.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

It seems you need to drop the percentage to 35 if you are going to 235's. Unless of course you don't care about rotation speed versus stock. Should keep it off the wheel well too.

Also, these types of tires tend to run wide. A 235 Star Spec will be more like a 245+ in many normal tires.

When you say street tire, do you mean you will be driving around on them during the summer months on the road or swap wheels at the track and you're looking for a "street" tire to stay in a certain class? As great as Star Specs are on the track, I can't imagine them being great to drive around in when it's pouring rain or lasting a long time as a street tire. I've never owned them, so I could easily be wrong, but that was my impression of them after reading other reviews. I was very pleased with my PS2s on the track and on the street this year, but since they have been the only summer tires I've ever had on my car, I don't have a lot to compare them to.

---------------2009 XS 2nd place, 2010 X3 3rd place, 2011 X3 Champion---------------
    --------------------5-speed, Full DE-K Swap, 205 whp 199 wtq SAE----------------------
    -----------------Enkei RPM2-235/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 & A/S+-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by 95Maxrider View Post
    When you say street tire, do you mean you will be driving around on them during the summer months on the road or swap wheels at the track and you're looking for a "street" tire to stay in a certain class? As great as Star Specs are on the track, I can't imagine them being great to drive around in when it's pouring rain or lasting a long time as a street tire. I've never owned them, so I could easily be wrong, but that was my impression of them after reading other reviews. I was very pleased with my PS2s on the track and on the street this year, but since they have been the only summer tires I've ever had on my car, I don't have a lot to compare them to.
    These will be my full time arrive and drive tires. The car won't see more than 3000 miles per year, if that

You're wrong. Star Specs are great in the wet. I've got 5k on the set for my 330is and they are showing minimal wear. PS2s are, in my experience junk in the dry. Drive on a real summer tire and you'll understand.

I know the original post was about autocross use, but I have a couple of comments. I'm well into my second set of Dunlop Z1s and have been content with their rain performance. However, for highway or track use I find they are not so good in the rain once the tread is well worn. This may sound like a no-brainer, but I did not find that true with the Toyo RA-1 r-compound tires.

The Michelin PS2 was not designed or sold as a street tire for competition as the ones discussed above. I will probably never buy PS2s just because of their price, but in my opinion they are the best all around summer tire out there. The One Lap of America, which is mostly 3-lap time trials, does not allow r-compound tires. Competitors can run any of the above tires that are sold by TireRack (thus eliminating the Toyos). Yet in the last seven or so years the winner has always been on the PS2s except 2009 when a modified Nissan GT-R won with Continentals. Go to the website http://www.onelapofamerica.com/home.shtml , scroll down and look at how many of the top cars and class winners were on Michelin PS2s.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Woody - I suspect that has to do with availability more than anything else. When it comes to sizing availability, nothing touches the PS2s. If I had a choice between a 345 PS2 and a 345 Kumho XS, I'd take the PS2 as well. Even the E30 was running 315s, for which there are no meaningful alternatives (and for which you will pay $488/tire!).

Perhaps junk in the dry is overstating it, but frankly, I still get annoyed by how mediocre the PS2s are relative to other comparable tires when they charge so much more money for them. Since I don't need anything in the PS2 only size range, I don't have a great incentive to run them. That and they always burn up quickly on me because they don't tolerate camber well.

Edit: And, of course, there are the always interesting rumors that certain viper spec PS2s actually used the Pilot Sport Cup compound.
    Last edited by Nick325xiT 5spd; 12-06-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Tire sizing questions

I know this is an old thread but I need to ask the AX brain trust some advice on an upcoming tire purchase. I have a very odd OEM front tire size, 225/50R18s on 7.5" rims. The rears are 8.5" rims with 245/45R18s. My problem is that nobody really makes a decent 225/50 for autocross let alone one that can be matched with the rears. I don't have the money to buy a new set of rims right now so I'm wondering if I can get away with going a bit wider with 235/50s and 255/45s or even lowering the profile on the front to 225/45. I know that they'll fit, I'm wondering if it affects sidewall rigidity, the ABS/stability control or any other aspect of performance?

Any wisdom you guys can share would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by drq2q View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I need to ask the AX brain trust some advice on an upcoming tire purchase. I have a very odd OEM front tire size, 225/50R18s on 7.5" rims. The rears are 8.5" rims with 245/45R18s. My problem is that nobody really makes a decent 225/50 for autocross let alone one that can be matched with the rears. I don't have the money to buy a new set of rims right now so I'm wondering if I can get away with going a bit wider with 235/50s and 255/45s or even lowering the profile on the front to 225/45. I know that they'll fit, I'm wondering if it affects sidewall rigidity, the ABS/stability control or any other aspect of performance?
    What type of car?

You'd be surprised how cheap you can get used OEM BMW wheels if you look on various forums.

I'd switch to the 225/45/18 if they're more readily available and you have to stay on the wheels you have.

Just a thought, what about running 245/45/R18 on the front as well back. The 245/45R18 fits wheels with 7-8.5" width (from Tirerack) so they work on the front wheels. You wouldn't have to worry about diameter changes, it would be a little different from the front to the back but no more then the current setup of 0.2" smaller in front. Might pick up a bit more grip in the front of car, plus you could rotate the tires all around by remounting.
    2005 Subaru STi X2 by way of STU
    2009 Autocrossers Inc. STU series champion
    2010 Autocrossers Inc. STU runner up (never let Shane drive your car)

It's an Infiniti G35 sedan, 07 sport. Thanks for the advice, the 225/45 gives me a tad more wheel gap in the front and a little more front lean but I think you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by TWS View Post
    Just a thought, what about running 245/45/R18 on the front as well back. The 245/45R18 fits wheels with 7-8.5" width (from Tirerack) so they work on the front wheels. You wouldn't have to worry about diameter changes, it would be a little different from the front to the back but no more then the current setup of 0.2" smaller in front. Might pick up a bit more grip in the front of car, plus you could rotate the tires all around by remounting.
    I like that idea and with a heavy sedan like I have I can use the extra grip up front anyway. The rotation is a huge bonus too. Thanks!

Thread Information