Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2010) Best Autocross Street Tire?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: (2010) Best Autocross Street Tire?

(2010) Best Autocross Street Tire?

I know new tires come out all the time. I"m getting back into autocross next year (88 e30 M3 with 17" wheels) and I need opinions on the best "street" tire to use for autocross. What did the fastest cars in that category run last year?

Thanks guys, Fernando

http://www.capitaldrivingclub.com/fo...hp?f=11&t=1001

Are you posting this everywhere? May as well do sccaforums too =P That'll cause a fun argument.

Personally, I have found the Hankook Ventus V12 EVO to be an excellent autocross and track tire. Additionally, it is very affordable and durable.
    2008 BMW E92 335i Atlantic Blue - Dinan 2nd Stage, Sprint Booster, BMW Performance Exhaust
    1996 BMW E36 M3 Cosmos Black - Ground Control Struts, Eibach Springs, Koni shocks, Treehouse Racing Control Arm brackets, Turner Racing Sway Bars, Sparco Strut Bar, Turner Rear Control arms, Toyo RA1s 255/40/17, - Engine Stock

Bridgestone RE-11
    Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec
    Falken RT-615
    Hankook RS-3
    Kumho XS
    Toyo R1R

There are not really any others to consider. All listed above would be at least 1-2 seconds quicker on a 60 second course than the Ventus V12 Evo mentioned. That tire is not in the same ballpark as these. My favorite is the Direzza, but I think I'm going to try the RS-3 when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
    There are not really any others to consider.
    There's at least one more - the Yokohama AD08. With so many choices, this probably doesn't help answer your original question. I'll also point out that some people feel a 17" wheel on an E30 M3 is not ideal for performance. On the other hand, many of the tires listed above, are not available in a 15, or even 16", size.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
    Falken RT-615
    Falken's are VERY bad tires. I had them on the Corolla last year and... well the video speaks for itself. You can see how I have to overdrive the car (extraneous wheel work) horribly to get it around the course.

The Kumho XS is not recommended. It is the worst wet tire that I've ever owned and it only works in optimal conditions. If it's bright, sunny, and about 90 degrees out, it's awesome. Otherwise....

I like both the Yoko AD08 and the Dunlop Z1 about equally. (I have AD08s on the M3 and Z1s on the S50 E30.) I think that the Z1s work in a wider temperature band, but the AD08s may be a bit sharper in the dry. That's hard to tell across two veyr different cars, though. Given the pricing, the Z1 is very hard to beat.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by flohtingPoint View Post
    Falken's are VERY bad tires. I had them on the Corolla last year and...
    Falken has a new version of the 615 that came out recently - the RT 615K. I don't know anyone that has tried them yet, but they're spending some money on ads.
    Woody

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    Falken has a new version of the 615 that came out recently - the RT 615K. I don't know anyone that has tried them yet, but they're spending some money on ads.
    Nobody at nationals or the pro were driving on them, that's a tipoff right there. Word around the campfire is that it's basically the same tire with a different name.

Believe it or not, Paul at Radial Tire will tell you that the Dunlop Z1 Star Spec is made by Falken and has the same carcass and rubber compound as the RT-615. Just a different tread pattern. He thinks it is so funny that people rave about the Dunlop and bad mouth the Falken. He's even shown me the manufacturer's code on each tire and they are the same.

I don't remember which issues, but both the SCCA Sports Car monthly and Grassroots Motorsports magazine have tested most of these tires recently. Oh, one more: the Nitto NT05.
    Woody

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    The Kumho XS is not recommended. It is the worst wet tire that I've ever owned and it only works in optimal conditions. If it's bright, sunny, and about 90 degrees out, it's awesome. Otherwise....

I like both the Yoko AD08 and the Dunlop Z1 about equally. (I have AD08s on the M3 and Z1s on the S50 E30.) I think that the Z1s work in a wider temperature band, but the AD08s may be a bit sharper in the dry. That's hard to tell across two veyr different cars, though. Given the pricing, the Z1 is very hard to beat.
    I wouldn't say the Kumho's XSis not recommended. I read an article in some car magazine a while back that ranked it quite highly. I forgot what the most recommended tire was, but the Kumho's came in second only because of their not so good rain performance. Apart from that, in the dry it was the best tire they had out there.

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    Believe it or not, Paul at Radial Tire will tell you that the Dunlop Z1 Star Spec is made by Falken and has the same carcass and rubber compound as the RT-615. Just a different tread pattern. He thinks it is so funny that people rave about the Dunlop and bad mouth the Falken. He's even shown me the manufacturer's code on each tire and they are the same.
    I knew I had this conversation with someone... I loved the Falkens, and they were definitely the best available in 2006 when I was running them. I don't remember them being that bad in the rain on my car, but it would be one of my last choices of the ST tires out there now.

I always forget the Yokos because they're so expensive, and I have to agree with Nick on the Kumhos: amazing in the dry, horrifying in the wet.

If you search, I made a thread about this a couple years ago and there have been few/no additions to my list in the past two years.

It all depends on the sizes that you want to run. You'll find that MOST of all the above suggestions only come up to a 265 width (which is OK for most "Normal" BMW's).

And Falken RT-615's are great AutoX / Street tires. They however do get hard once really heat cycled.

I'll just copy/paste what I wrote on CDC about this and let you guys pick at it lol.

I would highly recommend either the Star Specs or the RE-11 for your car. The XS feel kinda smushy to me and don't handle heat as well and the R1R is best suited for small, light cars. If you see the results for nationals, most of the miatas, civics and crxs ran the R1R. I think the same will and has been said for the new RS3. In STU, the Star Specs were more dominant which are on heavier cars like the STi's/Evo's and what not.

I've been running the RE-11s on my car for 2 full seasons, probably about 50+ events and hundreds of hard runs. I don't drive on them daily but they have lasted quite a while and I might be able to get most of next season out of them. They haven't even heat cycled out yet surprisingly.

Quote Originally Posted by flohtingPoint View Post
    http://www.capitaldrivingclub.com/fo...hp?f=11&t=1001

Are you posting this everywhere? May as well do sccaforums too =P That'll cause a fun argument.

Nope, only on my two favorite car club sights . After I posted on CDC I figured more people here would have input on and e30 BMW.

Thanks for opinions guys.

Fernando.

Thread Information