Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
E30 brake wear

Thread: E30 brake wear

E30 brake wear

Got a problem with the mighty GeorgeCo E30, driver's side rear brake: During the July Driver's school, the piston seized and I wore the pads to the backing plates and destroyed the rotor. I replaced the caliper and flushed the fluid. I thought the problem was that the piston was retracting. Now I have a new (rebuilt) caliper and still have very rapid wear on the pads, but only on the left side. The car only has a couple of hundred miles and one track day since the new caliper was put on. The pads on the right and both fronts look almost new. The rear left were down to 2 mm remaining. What's next in line to check? Look at the hard lines running the length of the car to see if they are somehow damaged? Is there some sort of left/right proportioning valve that's not working (I thought that was only front/rear)? I didn't notice anything unusual under heavy braking, it just must not be completely retracting each time I brake. I'm not sure what to check next. Thoughts?

"Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines." -- Enzo Ferrari
    '06 MINI Cooper S
    GeorgeCo Blog

The T piece that is, IIRC, right in front of the subframe is your next step. I'm told that it is prone to capturing corrosion.

Out of curiosity, did you try measuring how much fluid comes out of one caliper vs. the other with a pedal depression? After that, I'd move to swapping out the pipes and hoses. Or just do it all at once. The good news is that those aren't especially expensive.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...53&hg=34&fg=15
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by gnhovis View Post
    Got a problem with the mighty GeorgeCo E30, driver's side rear brake: During the July Driver's school, the piston seized and I wore the pads to the backing plates and destroyed the rotor. I replaced the caliper and flushed the fluid. I thought the problem was that the piston was retracting. Now I have a new (rebuilt) caliper and still have very rapid wear on the pads, but only on the left side. The car only has a couple of hundred miles and one track day since the new caliper was put on. The pads on the right and both fronts look almost new. The rear left were down to 2 mm remaining. What's next in line to check? Look at the hard lines running the length of the car to see if they are somehow damaged? Is there some sort of left/right proportioning valve that's not working (I thought that was only front/rear)? I didn't notice anything unusual under heavy braking, it just must not be completely retracting each time I brake. I'm not sure what to check next. Thoughts?
    try replacing the flex hose, they can collapse inside and act like a one way check valve.

Just drive the Mini. It seems to be faster.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I'll try the brake line replacement, thanks.

I was thinking the MINI seemed faster too, but when I went back to the video, they're remarkably similar. Click the photo for video:

"Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines." -- Enzo Ferrari
    '06 MINI Cooper S
    GeorgeCo Blog

Thread Information