Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Chapter Event 06/09/2011 - 06/10/2011 - Marque Madness VI @ VIR - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 06/09/2011 - 06/10/2011 - Marque Madness VI @ VIR

I think I've seen said video, and its an E46 M3 too... makin us look bad
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    I think I've seen said video, and its an E46 M3 too... makin us look bad
    Hey Mike, hope all is well and you're still getting out on the ice!

Here's a link to the video, it truly is scarier than I remembered. A collision at those speeds and those angles (looks like the guy coming up the back straight would have "t boned" the car crossing into the bitch), it would not have turned out well for anyone... very fortunate no one was hurt.

My heart just missed a beat!
    Right up there with when Vipers Attack.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Blank View Post

Holy crap!

I think that would have turned out much worse than Viper Attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Holy crap!

I think that would have turned out much worse than Viper Attack.
    If the Viper Attack is the one I found when I googled it, that looks like the front straight before Turn 1 at VIR. I have a hard time figuring out what the Viper was doing to induce the off track situation, but that looked similarly scary and equally close to a metal to metal situation. The back straight/bitch video is pretty clear to me what both drivers were doing (I was at that event, but not aware of the incident until I got back home and someone posted the video on the Track Daze forum). I'm not sure what run group that happened in, I'm guessing instructor/advanced but could be wrong. Wasn't intermediate (my group).

You would have to ask Chuck Grafton.
    I want to say that the Viper lifted but I'm not sure.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Last year they did this, with almost disastrous results, as day 2 one driver (did s/he miss the drivers meeting???) went left into the roller coaster at the top of the back straight, instead of going right into the bitch. There was almost a very dangerous, very high speed collision as a result; luckily, the car improperly setting up track right for the roller coaster narrowly missed the car properly coming from track left making the turn into the bitch. Very scary to see it on video.
    Here you go.

The forgetful driver wasn't setting up improperly on track right. Track right is the proper line for the left hand kink before the right hand roller coaster. Both are a LONG way down the straight from the turn in for the Bitch. You can see in the video there were cones and a barrier beyond the Bitch. I've heard the PCA had a driver make a similar mistake several years ago, but with more disasterous reults.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

As you pass the chicane (Madison Ave) on the back straight, the rest of the straight is blind for a short period of time.
    At the Ofest school I was caught by surprise to all the cars waiting to go down Rollercoaster.
    I wonder if that was partly to blame?
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 02-10-2011 at 09:39 PM.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Hey Mike, hope all is well and you're still getting out on the ice!

Here's a link to the video, it truly is scarier than I remembered. A collision at those speeds and those angles (looks like the guy coming up the back straight would have "t boned" the car crossing into the bitch), it would not have turned out well for anyone... very fortunate no one was hurt.
    HOLY SHIZZZ!

I hope there were many words said back in the paddock on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    HOLY SHIZZZ!

I hope there were many words said back in the paddock on that one.
    Actually, this was day 2 of 2, not sure exactly when it happened during the day, but as a participant at the event I wasn't aware of it until a few days later when I happened to see the video posted on the Track Daze forum. The organizers said that they had talked to the offending driver, but as far as I know no public discussion was had at VIR the day it happened. Track Daze is running the same day 1 full, day 2 grand east format this season, and I am fairly confident that they will have lots of discussions of this at the drivers meetings and school sessions. There are just a few cones in the road, they were discussing having additional visual reminders on track (someone suggested barely clad ladies holding signs saying "turn right here", I'll report back if Track Daze goes with that but I'm not holding my breath....)

There are just a few cones in the road, they were discussing having additional visual reminders on track (someone suggested barely clad ladies holding signs saying "turn right here"...
    Only way that might work is if the young lady was standing track out of bitch.
    You know, you drive where you look.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Actually, this was day 2 of 2, not sure exactly when it happened during the day, but as a participant at the event I wasn't aware of it until a few days later when I happened to see the video posted on the Track Daze forum. The organizers said that they had talked to the offending driver, but as far as I know no public discussion was had at VIR the day it happened. Track Daze is running the same day 1 full, day 2 grand east format this season, and I am fairly confident that they will have lots of discussions of this at the drivers meetings and school sessions. There are just a few cones in the road, they were discussing having additional visual reminders on track (someone suggested barely clad ladies holding signs saying "turn right here", I'll report back if Track Daze goes with that but I'm not holding my breath....)
    I think a nude sign girl would be more appropriate, this is a safety issue, no sense in going halfway in pursuit of a safe event!

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    You would have to ask Chuck Grafton.
    I want to say that the Viper lifted but I'm not sure.
    Just when the nightmares had subsided........

Viper driver later told me that he did, in fact lift, just past pit out where the track has the slight bump, combination of the lift and the bump was enough at the speed to induce back end of the Viper to step out to the right with the documented results.
    Chuck Grafton
    '90 ///M3
    '99 ///M3
    '05 X3
    Springfield VA

Quote Originally Posted by Real M3 View Post
    Just when the nightmares had subsided........

Viper driver later told me that he did, in fact lift, just past pit out where the track has the slight bump, combination of the lift and the bump was enough at the speed to induce back end of the Viper to step out to the right with the documented results.
    Chuck and all, I can attest to that, At Lime Rock I lifted in a Viper and 3 360's later wondered who yanked the parking brake!

So do you guys figure it's safe to make accommodation reservations and that there will be sufficient space in the event for everyone who wants to attend?

I've never done one of these before so I'm a bit of a novice to all of this type of thing.

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Thread Information