Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
BMW being sued over 335i/135i - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BMW being sued over 335i/135i

Steven: Yes - BMW dragged their feet on the E46 M3 rod bearing issue for about as long. It was only forced to closure by one guy who created a website that listed VIN numbers, build dates etc of failed engines. BMW first claimed there was no problem, then suggested that the wrong oil was being used, and then that the problem was confined to the U.S.. The comprehensive (and very public) listing showed it wasn't just a U.S. problem. The some major car magazines and websites picked up the story (just like in this case) and it "got legs" and BMW was forced to deal with it. Turned out BMW had used out of spec rod bearing shells.

It appears that BMWAG's policy is to deny the problem, then fix it quietly - then wait for the media and Internet to force it out into the open where is becomes a PR problem that can affect new car sales.
    Last edited by Alan; 10-26-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Anyone think this might affect my resale value (and arguably my purchase option price in my lease expiring in two months?)

Doubt BMW financial will take that view.....

Fuel pump warranty was extended to 100k miles so that should help.

What it did for the E46 M3 was make the first year (without a problem) and newer models desirable and worth extra money. The 03.5 and up models had the same extended warranty, but none of the issues the 01-03 models had. When I went shopping, I wouldn't consider an older one because I just didn't know what rod bearings it had, and didn't want to worry about it.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Ethan,

That is too bad. I have started to experience longer cranks again, the same initial symptoms that I had with my first failed HPFP. I like you will wait until I get several problems before taking it in. BMW in Germany had my car 3.5 days before being done...you would think that since they had the car, they would have fixed it correctly the first time. Oh well.
    Randy
    2009 335i X-drive
    2008 128i Convertible

Thread Information