Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 103

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
e36 m3 fan shroud replacement

Thread: e36 m3 fan shroud replacement

e36 m3 fan shroud replacement

I was not able to find any DIY references for replacing the fan shroud on my e36. Does anyone have any useful links? How hard is this project?

It's not horrible, but the bloody hose that goes through that fan shroud is a nightmare! You need a 36mm hose and a hammer. Remember the fan coupler is attached to the water pump with left hand threads. You need to hit the wrench towards the drivers side. if you have any questions email me at joshua@baltimore-bimmer.com and Ill do my best to help!

Josh

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the directions. Do you know which tools I may need besides a 36mm hose and a hammer?

Thank you.

If this is anything like the E46 one, I think you'll need a Philips screwdriver or a hex set. I think there are 2 bolts - one on each side on the shroud. That's the top side, the bottom just clicks in I think.

If you don't have a 32mm (I think it's 32) wrench, and I'll be really surprised if you do, you can use an adjustable "pipe" wrench. Just make sure it fits tightly and give it a whack. Not too strong though or the wrench will fall and you'll have to retrieve it from under the car.

Not sure about any hose, on the E46 no hoses need to touched to get the fan out.
    Last edited by ventsyv; 09-23-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ventsyv View Post
    If this is anything like the E46 one, I think you'll need a Philips screwdriver or a hex set. I think there are 2 bolts - one on each side on the shroud. That's the top side, the bottom just clicks in I think.

If you don't have a 32mm (I think it's 32) wrench, and I'll be really surprised if you do, you can use an adjustable "pipe" wrench. Just make sure it fits tightly and give it a whack. Not too strong though or the wrench will fall and you'll have to retrieve it from under the car.

Not sure about any hose, on the E46 no hoses need to touched to get the fan out.
    I made a 1 1/4" open end wrench work, had to grind it a little thinner, a pipe wrench may be too thick, all mine would be.

Now that I think about it, I think I ended up using an adjustable wrench like this one :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AdjustableWrench.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	1289

All my adjustables are too wide as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ventsyv View Post
    Now that I think about it, I think I ended up using an adjustable wrench like this one :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AdjustableWrench.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	1289
    I use a pair of channel locks with long handles.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I use a pair of channel locks with long handles.
    I often use my metric pliers for troublesome fasteners.

wow, thanks guys for various suggestions. i'll try them out tonight and see what's gonna happen

Alright, i've replaced the shroud. The hose was the pain!

The wrench itself did not work, I had to go and buy a fan clutch pulley holding tool. I got a universal one from the local auto parts store for $25.

Also, I found a very detailed DIY document:
    http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

Thanks for the advises about the wrench. You all were right, I was not able to find the 32mm one and ended up buying an adjustable one.
    Last edited by mduhovich; 09-25-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Curious why only the fan shroud had to be replaced? I went down a similar road with a broken fan shroud from the fan blades. Ended up being motor mounts that failed. Did you have to bleed the cooling system when you were done?
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    Curious why only the fan shroud had to be replaced? I went down a similar road with a broken fan shroud from the fan blades. Ended up being motor mounts that failed. Did you have to bleed the cooling system when you were done?
    Actually, I did replace the fan. I just did not know that it would be needed when I started.

No, I did not have to bleed the cooling system.

Thread Information