Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Have I lost my mind?

Thread: Have I lost my mind?

Have I lost my mind?

I know, I know... I've been MIA, in North Carolina for quite a while. (Married life, dogs & a baby left little time & money for track days.)

So, here's the deal: I'm 31 and I've been an E24 owner since 2003. My 635CSi is the car that introduced me to the track, the club and all things BMW. It's been my daily driver since moving to NC in early 2006. The odometer is about to hit 170,000 miles; there have been a few electrical gremlins (all worked out) over the last 6 months and the A/C, still charged with R12 works about 40% of the time.I figure that around 200,000 miles, the engine will need a rebuild, either by choice or necessity.

While my son was still in his rear-facing infant seat, it was a tight squeeze, but I felt okay with him in the airbag-less front passenger seat, now that he's too big for the infant seat, but too small for a booster, his only mode of transportation is my wife's 4Runner, as his Recaro toddler seat won't fit in my E24, at all. Now, we're starting to think seriously about having another child and I just don't think I can do the infant seat song and dance in the E24 again.

And so, I'm thinking of selling it. (We have a 1 car garage that's already right up against the property setback and a relatively small driveway, that's pretty full with the race trailer, SpecE30 and the 4Runner.)

I've got a line on a reasonably-priced pair of E39s (one a 540i/6 and the other an M5, both 2003 models with around 90k miles and similar histories).

I guess in the absence of a strong automotive father figure, I'm turning the to the chapter for support: please, tell me I'm not nuts to consider selling the E24 and replacing it with a V8 E39?
    Last edited by SharkD; 10-12-2010 at 03:04 PM.

CPO touring 5. Sweet family ride.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    I know, I know... I've been MIA, in North Carolina for quite a while. (Married life, dogs & a baby left little time & money for track days.)

So, here's the deal: I'm 31 and I've been an E24 owner since 2003. My 635CSi is the car that introduced me to the track, the club and all things BMW. It's been my daily driver since moving to NC in early 2006. The odometer is about to hit 170,000 miles; there have been a few electrical gremlins (all worked out) over the last 6 months and the A/C, still charged with R12 works about 40% of the time.I figure that around 200,000 miles, the engine will need a rebuild, either by choice or necessity.

While my son was still in his rear-facing infant seat, it was a tight squeeze, but I felt okay with him in the airbag-less front passenger seat, now that he's too big for the infant seat, but too small for a booster, his only mode of transportation is my wife's 4Runner, as his Recaro toddler seat won't fit in my E24, at all. Now, we're starting to think seriously about having another child and I just don't think I can do the infant seat song and dance in the E24 again.

And so, I'm thinking of selling it. (We have a 1 car garage that's already right up against the property setback and a relatively small driveway, that's pretty full with the race trailer, SpecE30 and the 4Runner.)

I've got a line on a reasonably-priced pair of E39s (one a 540i/6 and the other an M5, both 2003 models with around 90k miles and similar histories).

I guess in the absence of a strong automotive father figure, I'm turning the to the chapter for support: please, tell me I'm not nuts to consider selling the E24 and replacing it with a V8 E39?
    You'll love the torquey V8, but will always wonder how it good it would run in the sixer, still miss my beatiful euro 633!

Thread Information