Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Chapter Event 10/09/2010 - DIY @ At Speed Motorsports

Thread: 10/09/2010 - DIY @ At Speed Motorsports

10/09/2010 - DIY @ At Speed Motorsports

Do It Yourself (DIY) Program Overview

The 2010 Do It Yourself (DIY) program allows National Capital Chapter (NCC) BMW Car Club of America (CCA) Members to work on their own cars under the supervision of expert mechanics and technicians provided by the DIY Sponsor. The purpose of the DIY is to learn and practice proper maintenance and repair techniques that you can routinely complete within a two-and-one-half-hour (2.5 hour) time period.

There are typically several NCC members who can assist you when an extra pair of hands or advice is needed. We are happy to show newcomers the joys of working on your own car. Most events start at between 8 am and 9 am and typically finish at 3 pm. Lunch for the event is provided by the club.

The DIY Program Webpage is here http://www.nccbmwcca.org/content.php?119-diy

This event offers online registration and payment through MotorsportReg.com.

More...
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 08-29-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Just signed up, looking forward to it!

If I wish to buy brake fluid from them, do I contact the DIY chair or At Speed?
    Last edited by Tochenzo; 09-13-2010 at 12:45 AM.

National Capital Chapter BMW CCA #367673

Quote Originally Posted by Tochenzo View Post
    Just signed up, looking forward to it!

If I wish to buy brake fluid from them, do I contact the DIY chair or At Speed?
    The last DIY we just purchased what we needed from At Speed. They carried Redline fluids.

Please purchase any parts/fluids by calling At Speed. They will be happy to help you. They are a terrific host for us, and never fail to put on a first rate event.
    Andy Miller
    1995 Avusblau M3
    1997 Alaskablau 318ti M Sport

Thanks for the quick replies. I was planning on calling them once I got the e-mail that approved my "job" or whatever. Or can I assume I have been accepted? This is my first DIY so I'm unfamiliar with the process.

Do you know if they can get ATE Brake Fluid? I'm planning on removing the CDV on my car and changing the brake fluid, but already have a liter of ATE Type 200 Gold and was looking to just pick up another liter from them as a backup in case I need more than the liter.
    Last edited by Tochenzo; 09-14-2010 at 12:04 PM.

As you registered pretty early, you very likely will get in. But you probably won't receive official confirmation of this until registration closes, which should be on or about the 25th.

If this is your first DIY, I would plan on doing one task or the other- but don't necessarily expect to do both. Things at DIYs often take longer than you would expect/hope. Better to plan one task that you know you will finish than two that you hope you can finish. Even if you've got some experience as a shade tree mechanic, it's certainly best to plan conservatively- someone will very likely be waiting for the lift as soon as you finish.

ATE brake fluid should be no trouble at all- I'd be a bit surprised if At Speed doesn't already have it in stock. But of course it is best to make sure. If you call and place an order the wednesday or thursday before the DIY, they should have it waiting for you on saturday morning.
    Andy Miller
    1995 Avusblau M3
    1997 Alaskablau 318ti M Sport

Ok thank you. The clutch delay valve removal should only take 5 minutes max, but requires bleeding of the clutch valve, so I figured I could just hook up my pressure bleeder and do the brake fluid at the same time.
    Last edited by Tochenzo; 09-14-2010 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tochenzo View Post
    Ok thank you. The clutch delay valve removal should only take 5 minutes max, but requires bleeding of the clutch valve, so I figured I could just hook up my pressure bleeder and do the brake fluid at the same time.
    Yup it is a simple thing to do. Just be cautious that your clutch can fall to the floor if air gets into the line. You'll have to pump air out of the line for what seems like FOREVER. Happened once at a DIY this year. It wasn't a pleasant day for the guy. I still feel bad thinking about that day.

I ended up just doing the CDV today and was successful! Looks like I will just do the brake fluid on my own as well and drop out of this DIY. Unfortunately I broke the nipple off the clutch bleed valve =( Hardest part was finding the right wrench to fit up there and when I pulled off the hose somehow it took the plastic nipple with it. What is with BMW using plastic everywhere.

Cancellation

Hi,

I planned to attend this DIY session, but unfortunately, won't be able to do it due to family business. November DIY will be good for me, instead.

I paid the fee when I registered through MotorsportReg.com.
    Can I cancel it? If so, will the fee be refunded automatically?

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks,
    Sang

What were you planning to do at the DIY? There are still a bunch of spots at the ChapterFest DIY
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

I know this DIY registration is closed, but is there a waitlist that I can be added on?

Thread Information