Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
E46 325xiT for daily driver

Thread: E46 325xiT for daily driver

E46 325xiT for daily driver

Anyone have any reasons why I _shouldn't_ get a 2005 manual AWD 325 wagon with 175k mi for a daily driver? I'll be putting about 15k mi/yr on it and plan to do as much of the maintenance on it as I can following the old school maintenance program. I haven't read anything negative about the xi's but then again I haven't read anything good about them either.
    Mike, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP SMG, 2005 E46 325xiT

Luckily, the AWD system in the E46 xi is pretty bullet proof. The primary issue is that it's likely in need of all new shocks and bushings.

It's a very nice grocery getter, albeit a bit underpowered.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by vjmvjmvjm View Post
    It all depends on the price and condition. I'd be particularly interested on the past maintenance records. BMWs can last a long time IF they are maintained properly. The all-wheel drive will add a little extra complexity and something else to potentially go wrong.
    Thanks, I've asked the seller to provide the service history if possible. He's going to make some calls to BMW dealerships in his area to see if he can get the records. Jim Eddy at Sterling BMW was able to do that for me when I brought my M3 in for an inspection so he should be able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    Luckily, the AWD system in the E46 xi is pretty bullet proof. The primary issue is that it's likely in need of all new shocks and bushings.
    It's a very nice grocery getter, albeit a bit underpowered.
    Good to hear that about the AWD. I should be able to handle replacing the shocks and bushings myself.

Update: the Carfax report showed an extensive service history (luckily the previous owner chose a dealership that diligently sent all the data) so I went ahead and bought it for $6750. Brakes, shocks, CV boot were all changed in June plus regular 15k oil changes. I picked it up and drove it from NH to VA today (11:30am to 9:30pm with a three stops and heavy NYC traffic) and except for a flickering left headlight (forums say it might be a bad ground in the tail light), it was a blast! Oil service reads 3k so I need to get that done soon. Found this thread from 5 years ago on how to get to the drain plug with a post from Nick! Looks like I'm following in Nick's footsteps by getting my own 325xiT. Certainly doesn't feel underpowered to me, though ...

Good going Mike, you just bought an excellent autox car. Raise the spring rate and get a thicker sway bar up front and you're golden. Give that M3 to your son and drive the wagon. OH YEAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Oh btw, next time go around NYC. More mile, but less hair pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by Zcruizer View Post
    Good going Mike, you just bought an excellent autox car. Raise the spring rate and get a thicker sway bar up front and you're golden. Give that M3 to your son and drive the wagon. OH YEAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!
    You just want me to be in a different class!

Quote Originally Posted by vjmvjmvjm View Post
    Congrats on the purchase. 3-series wagons are practical, and they aren't as common as Honda Civics / 3-series sedans in this neck of the woods. The only wagon-specific issue I've had was my fault, when I closed the "loop tape" (strap for the spare tire cover) in the tailgate and broke the plastic end. $8.70 for replacement. Speaking of which, you can fit a full-size spare in there if you don't already have one.
    Thanks and good tip on the full-sized spare. I definitely need to get one. All I have is goo for my M3.

Thread Information