Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
My first DIY

Thread: My first DIY

My first DIY

I finally put 7500 miles on my M3 since I got it in January of 2009 and I changed the oil for the first time a couple of hours ago. Got the instructions from here, bought the oil change kit from here for $88.00 shipped and filled in a sample for oil analysis by these guys. It went smoothly for the most part -- I was a little worried when the oil filter I bought didn't look like the oil filter in the instructions but it was the same as what I took out so that was cool; that and the oil drain plug got stuck on my socket. I also forgot to open the oil analysis container until after I had unscrewed the drain plug so I got the last oil from the pan, and not the middle like Blackstone wanted but I noted that so we'll see. I had to buy some of the tools I used (the ramps, chocks and sockets) and that took the most time -- that and reading instructions. It took me 3 hours from when I put the car up on ramps to checking the dipstick after the test drive. But I have everything in place now so I should be able to get the next one done in around 45 minutes. Next I'll be changing power steering fluid, gearbox oil and differential oil.
    Mike, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP SMG, 2005 E46 325xiT

Buy a mityvac. It takes me 5 minutes to change the oil in my M3, and I don't have to get under it. It also will suck the power steering fluid out of the reservoir if you're changing that. (There is no drain plug, so you can either titrate it down from the reservoir or disconnect lines.)
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quicker, safer and cleaner. Found a good review/how-to here. Thanks!

FYI, I bought the car used with 39k on it and it just had an Inspection II performed. It's at 46k now and aside from the tires and an issue with the steering wheel position sensor (fixed under warranty), it's been cheaper to maintain than my wife's RX400h.
    Mike, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP SMG, 2005 E46 325xiT

Good for you Mike, it's a great thing to do your own changes.

I bought a Mityvac from Amazon and it crapped out on me after 2 changes. Won't build suction anymore. I went back to doing the the old fashioned way and don't really miss it.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Did anyone offer to rectify the situation, you'd think that was a fluke right?

To be honest I never pursued it with either Amazon or Mityvac. I just junked it. It is an overly-complicated piece with more plumbing connections and 'features' than it needs to have, and as a result mine wasn't very reliable. I removed and plumbing taped as many fittings as I could but I couldn't isolate the vac leak to any of the lines and I'm pretty sure it was the pump itself which failed, making the thing useless. A little money lost but I didn't feel like spending much time chasing it.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    To be honest I never pursued it with either Amazon or Mityvac. I just junked it. It is an overly-complicated piece with more plumbing connections and 'features' than it needs to have, and as a result mine wasn't very reliable. I removed and plumbing taped as many fittings as I could but I couldn't isolate the vac leak to any of the lines and I'm pretty sure it was the pump itself which failed, making the thing useless. A little money lost but I didn't feel like spending much time chasing it.
    I have a pneumatic mightyvac and it's rock solid. The ones with hand pump seem to be faulty.

Seems like a great thing to have, especially if you're changing fluids all time time.
    I think power folding side mirrors are going to stay on the top of my xmas wish list though.

Thread Information