Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
E36 M3 Ticking Noise from Engine (S52)

Thread: E36 M3 Ticking Noise from Engine (S52)

E36 M3 Ticking Noise from Engine (S52)

I ran in the CDC AX this past weekend and noticed a ticking noise (valves/lifters?) after the first hard run and it continued throughout the day.

The sound went away the following day. What causes this to occur? Am I starving the engine of oil (oil level is normal) during the runs?

Any ideas or solutions, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    2008 BMW E92 335i Atlantic Blue - Dinan 2nd Stage, Sprint Booster, BMW Performance Exhaust
    1996 BMW E36 M3 Cosmos Black - Ground Control Struts, Eibach Springs, Koni shocks, Treehouse Racing Control Arm brackets, Turner Racing Sway Bars, Sparco Strut Bar, Turner Rear Control arms, Toyo RA1s 255/40/17, - Engine Stock

It's normal; all 6-cyl BMWs 1992-2005 do it.

On the street oil levels between full and even a quart low seem just fine.

However, during Autocross and track events, I run one quart high in my '99 M3. Specifically, I fill it to the the full notch on the dipstick and then add one more quart. Doing this, I have found the valve tick following Autocross runs and track sessions is gone.

Greg

Welcome to hydraulic lifters ... if you want to hear some goodness of the clank, clank they make - listen to my car after a run. It sounds closer to a VW TDI rather that a BMW engine - and it's completely normal.

Quote Originally Posted by glindsay View Post
    On the street oil levels between full and even a quart low seem just fine.

However, during Autocross and track events, I run one quart high in my '99 M3. Specifically, I fill it to the the full notch on the dipstick and then add one more quart. Doing this, I have found the valve tick following Autocross runs and track sessions is gone.
    Doesn't this increase the oil pressure unnecessarily? How do you remove the excess oil after the run (besides draining it)?
    2008 BMW E92 335i Atlantic Blue - Dinan 2nd Stage, Sprint Booster, BMW Performance Exhaust
    1996 BMW E36 M3 Cosmos Black - Ground Control Struts, Eibach Springs, Koni shocks, Treehouse Racing Control Arm brackets, Turner Racing Sway Bars, Sparco Strut Bar, Turner Rear Control arms, Toyo RA1s 255/40/17, - Engine Stock

Also, glad to hear this is normal. I was a little worried.

I appreciate the feedback and advice. See you on Saturday in Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by mdepena View Post
    Doesn't this increase the oil pressure unnecessarily? How do you remove the excess oil after the run (besides draining it)?
    Oil pressure is simply a measure of pump force and restriction until opening. Adding oil should not increase oil pressure (and high oil pressure should never be a concern - it's low pressure that's a worry point).

Oil capacity of the S52 is ~7 quarts. When I had my M3, I'd put 7.5 in consistently as to get the oil to the top line of the dipstick. There's no harm in filling to the maximum specified capacity.

Additionally, lifter tick is more affected by oil weight than the capacity. Depending on what oil you are running in your car currently, you may consider going up a step in weight.

Some people feel not shutting off your engine after your run, and even upping the engine speed to ~ 2,500 rpm for a couple of minutes after the run will speed the return to an idle without the ticking.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by glindsay View Post
    I do the same on my '95, which eliminates it much of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    Some people feel not shutting off your engine after your run, and even upping the engine speed to ~ 2,500 rpm for a couple of minutes after the run will speed the return to an idle without the ticking.
    In my experience, the only way to stop it once it starts is to drive it normally for several minutes on the road. It seems like it will tap forever at idle once it starts. I don't worry about it. It's just a signal that you're really pushing it, and that's a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    I rev the engine to ~2500-3000 for a few minutes and that helps. I also overfill if I remember to bring oil - I run 5w30.

One thing that no1 has mentioned unless I miss it, is that the cars do become oil starved because there is no baffle in the oil pan, which only matters when you are cornering hard for an extended period of time. You could go all out and get baffles installed or get a lightweight m3 oil pan. Alternatively, the suggestions everyone else posted work.

-- Adam

EDIT: Wow didn't notice this was from August lol

Thread Information