Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Weird whine coming from center console
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weird whine coming from center console

Weird whine coming from center console

Hey all, I have a whining sound that seems like it's coming from the center dash area. I first noticed it a couple years ago in my 2001 z3. I now hear it in my 2000 740. In both cars it doesn't happen until about 70 mph and becomes louder as the speed increases, however, it doesn't always do it. Now that I hear it in two very different cars, it obviously has to be a shared component. It sounds almost like the dentists air tools except a slightly lower pitch. Does anyone have the same problem or know the fix.

James LeCompte

Nothing to do with the AC?
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Probably transmission or center support bearing whine. In the E46es, BMW started ballasting the CSB with a butyl strip (essentially dynamat), adding it to production and offering it as a retrofit for earlier cars.

You can try adding a butyl strip, but in all likelihood that'll be a partial fix at best. And it's a lot of effort for limited return.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Zcruizer View Post
    Hey all, I have a whining sound that seems like it's coming from the center dash area. I first noticed it a couple years ago in my 2001 z3. I now hear it in my 2000 740. In both cars it doesn't happen until about 70 mph and becomes louder as the speed increases, however, it doesn't always do it. Now that I hear it in two very different cars, it obviously has to be a shared component. It sounds almost like the dentists air tools except a slightly lower pitch. Does anyone have the same problem or know the fix.

James LeCompte
    You need a louder exhaust and you'll forget all about that whine

It's funny you say that about the exhaust, when I have the top down it's not a problem. That solves 90% of the z3's problem. The 7 on the other hand doesn't have that option. It certainly has the sound of a bad bearing but would it only show itself at a certain speed? It doesn't happen all the time and it sounds very close, like it's in the dash. Although I can't beleive it's the a/c, I won't rule that out yet. Even with the climate control off, what could make that noise? My wife has an e46 that has had the craziest problems, but this isn't one of them. Weird !!

The classic symptoms in an E46 are light throttle starting at about 70-75mph.

Although I can't beleive it's the a/c, I won't rule that out yet. Even with the climate control off, what could make that noise?
    My ti would make a loud groaring sound when the cabin was hot and you turned on the AC. I think it was the expansion valve? I could be wrong about the part.
    But it only happened when you turned on the AC and the cabin was hot. So if it doesn't do that when it's off, then the problem is elsewhere.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    The classic symptoms in an E46 are light throttle starting at about 70-75mph.
    Hmmm, I've noticed a weird whine coming from the center behind me when lightly on the throttle only in 5th on the highway. As soon as I'm off the throttle the noise goes away, when I get back on it, the noise comes back.
    -Dave

'98 318ti

In a ti with an E30 style diff, I'd go with diff whine, especially if you're hearing the noise from behind. If you're running any poly rear suspension bushings, they definitely won't help.

Quote Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
    Hmmm, I've noticed a weird whine coming from the center behind me when lightly on the throttle only in 5th on the highway. As soon as I'm off the throttle the noise goes away, when I get back on it, the noise comes back.
    In a ti with an E30 style diff, I'd go with diff whine, especially if you're hearing the noise from behind. If you're running any poly rear suspension bushings, they definitely won't help.
    Maybe center load bearing?
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

*shrug* CSB noise has never sounded like it was coming from behind me.

He said center "DASH" area, that sounds like the climate control sensor fan, it can get noisy, runs sometimes with ign. off!

Hey Bob, I think they're responding to Spidertri. My sound is definitely coming from the center dash area, or at least resonating through it. The z3 doesn't have auto-climate control. It's old school; fan speed knob, temp. knob, vent choice knob. Would it have the climate control sensor fan?

Dunno, my 94 had it, not a digital climate deal, just dual rotary temp. knobs . I just remember hearing it run now and then, and wondering what it was?

Yeah, it could definitely be diff whine, I do have urethane subframe bushings.

Hey Bob, I think they're responding to Spidertri. My sound is definitely coming from the center dash area, or at least resonating through it. The z3 doesn't have auto-climate control. It's old school; fan speed knob, temp. knob, vent choice knob. Would it have the climate control sensor fan?
    Sorry for jacking your thread Zcruiser, I try my best not to do that...
    -Dave

'98 318ti

Thread Information