Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
To e30 or e36, that is the question
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To e30 or e36, that is the question

To e30 or e36, that is the question

My venerable, dependable, and fun 325es is soon to be history and I am contemplating, considering, and canoodling the idea of getting a newer e36 instead of another e30.

My budget will allow me to purchase either a e30 318is or 325is, or an e36 318is or 325i (1992 - 1993 vintage) with the e30 318is taking up the lowest cost to me and the others relative to that.

I've gone out and driven an e36 and like the way they drive, handle, and accelerate but the e30 is familiar to me, I know how to get myself out of trouble if I am stuck alongside the road, and have grown used to their quirks and eccentricities (even if it is the eta version).

Is the e36 really that much of an advancement over the e30?

Any feedback, suggestions, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Once I get my new Munich machine I'll be joining up with DC BMWCCA and hoping to race all of you at AllSport Grand Prix.

Thanks in advance,

Keith

1985 325es

Quote Originally Posted by Kouryou

Is the e36 really that much of an advancement over the e30?

Any feedback, suggestions, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Keith

1985 325es
    My first BMW was a 325es, Cinnabar/Lt grey, stick. I loved it! Had to sell it because of an international relocation. Can't speak to the E36. Current ride is a 2000 E46 (328Ci) I like it a lot, but can't say I LOVE it. It is more advanced than the 325es, but it is not a stick.

Parts are easier to get for the E36.

Quote Originally Posted by rluckan
    My first BMW was a 325es, Cinnabar/Lt grey, stick. I loved it! Had to sell it because of an international relocation. Can't speak to the E36. Current ride is a 2000 E46 (328Ci) I like it a lot, but can't say I LOVE it. It is more advanced than the 325es, but it is not a stick.
    That's funny! My first BMW was also a 325es- Cinnabar red/Pearl interior. Gotta say when I traded it for the E36, it took awhile to fall in love with it like my E30.

With no intent to hijack this thread, but what are the different e30 models out there? I know absolutely nothing of them but might be considering one as a track car soon?

318i
    318is
    325i
    325is
    325ix
    325e
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR
    With no intent to hijack this thread, but what are the different e30 models out there? I know absolutely nothing of them but might be considering one as a track car soon?
    Here's a useful link:
    http://www.strictlyeta.net/technical...ications2.html

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR
    Thank you sir!
    No problem. Here is another good one. http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacg...les&Section=07

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

What was the final decision? Just wondering as I own presently 4 E30's.

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    318i
    318is
    325i
    325is
    325ix
    325e
    Don't forget the M3.

I'm with John, I think parts, especially track parts are easier for the E36.

I would go with the E36

Jeff

Even though they're somewhat older and it's slightly harder to find "performance" parts for them, a fair number of instructors seem to be of the opinion that an E30 (particularly the early 325iS') can outperform a "Prepared" E36 everywhere but the long straights.

And with 2.2 million E30's produced, most body and driveline parts are relatively easy and inexpensive to get your hands on, new or used. (And shops like Ireland Engineering, TurboChargingDynamics, Bimmerworld and TurnerMotorsport carry quite a range of E30 tuning parts.)

But then again, I'm a bit biased towards 1987 model year Bimmers, apparently.

but thats the thing, the E36 is a better "all around" track car...straights and turns...

I would agree that the E30 has better handling potential because in my E30 I clearly can catch up to P-Cars and E36 or E46 M3s but I just get blown away on the straights its not even funny

Jeff

Wink

Ultimately, I believe the answer to straightaway power lies in dropping an M70 V12, or one of the new M5/M6 V10's into an E30 chassis.

My M50 car with just a chip and an Underdrive pulley is no slouch

Thread Information