Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Add another E36?

Thread: Add another E36?

Add another E36?

Now that I've had to spend a few pennies to get my 95 318i back to a condition that's bearable for me, I've started to contemplate getting an E30 or an early E36 for a "fun" car.

I have already autocrossed my 318i a few times in H-Stock with some groups in central VA. I'm going to finish making it well prepared for H-Stock this summer, but it's main priority will be my daily driver/commuter car.

I'd like to find an early E36 to prep mainly for track days and eventually (hopefully) BMWCCA club racing 3-5 years from now.

1. Should I use my using my daily driver 318i for all of these events and just buy a track car in a few years?
    2. Is a 318is too underpowered for a track car/eventual club racer?
    3. Is it necessary to find a 325is whether it is E30/E36 for what I would like to do?

assuming you are not on an unlimited budget.....

get a 93 or later 325is if you think you may end up club racing.

get an 88-91 325 if you just want a cheap, quick, fun track car.

in both cases, just use the 318 as a daily driver. nobody club races them, too slow and racing a 325 is not much more expensive and a lot more fun.

marshall
    ex-88 325is auto-x/track car
    ex-88 325is scca its club race car
    93 325is scca its club race car
    97 m3 street car

btdt...

Thanks, I am not at all on an unlimited budget, but I would prefer to get into club racing sooner than later (while I'm young and before I need to make HUGE house payments/kids/etc.). I know this is a multi-year process before I'm qualified enough skillswise and financially to start, but I'd rather do track days/racing than autocrossing.

I've read as much as I can to get into this as quick as possible and as most efficient as possible. I don't mind the idea of buying an old club race car, but I will probably go the route of using a 93-95 325is to learn everything I need to learn and go from there. I didn't think many/any people used 318s for club racing, and I wasn't sure if the cost would be much/any different.

Thanks again for the help, and maybe I'll get the opportunity to join you one day in the future on the track.

Thread Information