Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Brake pad recommendations?

Thread: Brake pad recommendations?

Brake pad recommendations?

I use the Axxis ULTs in my Miata, I like them alot.

For my 335, I'm replacing the fronts and rears for the first time. Any suggestions?

Zeckhausen has the Centric pads, those look pretty good and a good price too. Anyone using them?

I'm planning to change the brake pads, complete fluid replacement, etc., at the next DIY. Also fixing a broken fog light.

I'm thinking Zeckhausen for the pads, and Bav auto for the fog light. Anyone have a different suggestion?

I will work it out with the DIY coordinators as to what fluids I can buy at the DIY, as long as the prices are decent I'm OK with that.

You should probably state what purpose you'd like the brake pads to serve. If the 335 will remain street / DD only, you might want a recommendation for a low-dust ceramic pad. If you're going to start taking it to autocross or get crazy with it on roads, another set of OEM would probably be good. If track (I know, you have the miata) track pads. Point is, what do YOU want out of them?
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

You're right, Mike!

The 335 will remain a DD. That said, my track and Auto-X experience, the more I do those things, makes me (sometimes) drive a little harder than perhaps the "average" DD. I certainly don't need track pads, but since I do drive a little harder, and brake a little harder, I don't want a pad that will either tear up the rotors or wear out quickly. I've gotten about 35,000 miles from the stock pads, for reference (including some Auto-X and two track days at VIR).

That's why I was attracted to the Centric ceramic pads from Zeckhausen, but was wondering if anyone else had good or bad experiences with the ceramics, or another suggestion.

The Centric dustless pads are just like every other dustless pad out there. Low initial torque and vulnerable to overheating. You are NOT a good candidate for them.

Honestly, given your use, I'd stick with the stock pads. They really are about as good as it gets for multi-purpose use.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I run Axxis Deluxe pads on my 335i DD and they are great. I even autox'd in them a few times, but would probably swap back to OEM for track use.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    I run Axxis Deluxe pads on my 335i DD and they are great. I even autox'd in them a few times, but would probably swap back to OEM for track use.
    They suck for autox, but they work. They will crap all over your rotors on track if they don't vaporize. Hell they ruined a set of Euro rotors on my car from street and autox use - even track pads couldn't clean the damage off.

Exclamation Brakes: Please check ALL priorities

Please understand that the braking system is the most important system on your car.

Call me old-fashioned if you like, but I cannot comprehend why daily drivers would not prefer the brake pads that allow them to stop in the shortest distance. Let's face it - it's a lot safer on the track or on an autocross course than it is out there with the Great Unwashed Masses of drivers on our public roads.

Just my tuppence...

DCBub

There's a very good article on factory brakes by Car and Driver - http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ce_cars_page_4

The net-net is that the 335i has a very good set of OEM brakes and fade system and that you can't have good brake performance and low dust.

I have Axxis ULT on my 325 and they are fine for daily driving. I like Hawk products alot. I ran the HPS before the Axxis and liked the HPS better. I wouldn't recommend the HP+, they are too aggressive and loud for daily driving. For track, I'm running Hawk HT-10's all around.

As you can see, its subjective out there in the wild. OEM (or OEM equiv) are still a good choice.

With a (heavy) coating of CRC anti-squeal, the HP+ is actually not bad. Without the anti-squeal, though, they are loud as hell in my E30 with the windows CLOSED.

I ended up sticking with Jurid pads on my 540i. Seems like there are many choices out there.

Thread Information