Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
F1 returns to the USA in 2012 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: F1 returns to the USA in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by flohtingPoint View Post
    I was stationed in Germany for two and a half years. I made it to Spa, Nordschleife and Hockenheim as much as I could.

There is a pic of my S13 coming out of Sachs Curve at Hockenheim.
    I am so envious, you even raced on it...Couple of years ago me and the little lady went to Nordschleife, it was two days before Belgian GP. We decided "next time" on Spa and I have been kicking myself in the ass ever since.

Good for you

I was stationed in Germany a LONG time ago. I drove the Nurburgring and Spa in their original configurations, as well as Zandvoort and Hockenheim. The original Hockenheim was a public road, over 4-miles long and only had two turns.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    I was stationed in Germany a LONG time ago. I drove the Nurburgring and Spa in their original configurations, as well as Zandvoort and Hockenheim. The original Hockenheim was a public road, over 4-miles long and only had two turns.
    So Woody, was that in the one or two horse cart?
    Chuck Grafton
    '90 ///M3
    '99 ///M3
    '05 X3
    Springfield VA

Come on Chuck, us old far. . .uh, guys have to stick together. Actually it was in a Triumph TR4 (and a VW Beatle many times at Hockenheim).
    Woody

I'd have punched a hippo in the face for the opportunity to drive the original config of Hockenheim. I was crushing 125-130 on the parabolika of the current layout, one only knows how fast I'd be hitting after slamming out of the nordkurve and charging to the Clark chicane.

Ah, but the original track when I was there had no chicanes or "stadium section". It looked like a squished egg. This wikipedia article doesn't show what the track looked like prior to 1965. With two turns in over 4-miles it was really pretty boring - especially in a 36-hp VW.
    Woody

Ah, but the original track when I was there had no chicanes or "stadium section". It looked like a squished egg. This wikipedia article doesn't show what the track looked like prior to 1965. With two turns in over 4-miles it was really pretty boring - especially in a 36-hp VW.
    Prior to 65? Jeez, you were there before Jim Clark died?

BTW, there is a nice garden walk on the outside of the stadium now with a memorial for Clark there. I was pleased when I found that while walking around Hockenheim, waiting for the motorcycles to get off the track.

Wow, you guys are talking about stuff way back when. My earliest memory of anything F1 is when my old man was super excited when Ron Dennis dug up Niki and won drivers championship...and that appears to be quite some time after the events you are discussing...

Tilke gets the nod, with a nice write up:

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/61...New-US-Circuit

Ah, I'm only 29, so I was barely old enough to remember Prost and Senna's rivalry. I'm just a student of the sport and my family and I are Tifosi. I read everything I can get my hands on about F1 and have an enormous F1 footage collection.

A few things learned from the GP of Turkey:

It can get hot there, hence lolly pop girl fainting...

Vettel is favored by Red Bull, hence the cuddling after he acted like a retard on the track...how about telling him the team is more important than him...

Hamilton's girlfriend sports the IQ of a night lamp, but at least she now knows F1 is coming to the US as informed by the interviewing reporter...
    Last edited by Uber-Goober; 05-31-2010 at 04:38 PM.

Someone mentioned that there might be a Baltimore race. This seemed a little strange?
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Quote Originally Posted by JC5 View Post
    Someone mentioned that there might be a Baltimore race. This seemed a little strange?
    Why?

There is a Baltimore Grand Prix next August, but the IZOD Indycar Series and probably ALMS are running it. F1 is not quite the same as Indy cars.

Indy, F1, either in B-more sounded odd. Honestly I though the guy who told me, was pulling my leg a bit.
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Quote Originally Posted by Uber-Goober View Post
    Vettel is favored by Red Bull, hence the cuddling after he acted like a retard on the track...how about telling him the team is more important than him...
    It's less that he's favored, more that Christian Horner knows that Vettel can be emotionally unstable at times. A couple years ago, when Vettel was at Toro Rosso, he wrecked into Webber and was later seen having an emotional breakdown in the Garage, crying unabashed. Horner had to react tactfully, as they're in the middle of a title hunt, McLaren have seemingly closed ranks on RedBull, and he needs his drivers mentally tough. While I agreed with Eddie Jordan that coddling him was very uncalled for, I really dont know what the right move would have been in handling Seb.

To give you more of an idea that Vettel isn't favored, Webber got an upgraded wing before he did.

I think one problem is that he is his own manager. I mean if I was in my early 20s trying to drive at that level dealing with all of that pressure, PR work etc...I would go nuts. He is more mature than most his age but still. He needs someone who can help guide him and verbally smack him around as well...just my opinion...

Thread Information