Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Finally had time to clean up the 330is...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Finally had time to clean up the 330is...

Finally had time to clean up the 330is...

I spent a little time yesterday and a lot today cleaning 21 years of accumulated filth off of the E30's paint.

...let's just say that the car is now a different color.

I'm still tidying up the engine bay, but I'm pretty pleased with how cleanly it's turned out. I have no interest in "shaving" or getting rid of stuff, but I do want it to be reasonably tidy.

The E30 M3 wiring harness cover will go in as soon as I've added one last wire to hook up the reverse light switch.

The car still needs a few things (rear suspension bushings, the 3.25 diff that is over at Mike's, and rear wheel bearings). Next weekend, or the weekend after, we'll probably take care of those. In the meantime, it's a hoot to drive.

...and even better, once all that is taken care of, I'll be able to swap the historic plates for real ones.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Wow, this looks really nice. Good job hoss.

Patience with a porter cable is another skill I lack.

Nice job.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Patience with a porter cable is another skill I lack.

Nice job.
    You get a little more patient when the car has turned brown.

Wow! You sure you did not just paint her? She looks brand new.
    TomM
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Quote Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
    Wow! You sure you did not just paint her? She looks brand new.
    TomM
    I wish I had that level of skill. The E30 M3 that I picked up was Maacoized at one point, and it really shows. The annoying part is that as far as I can tell from the original paint that has been exposed, a really good detail was all that car needed.

WOW, she really looks GREAT. Would be neat to see some before/after shots. I to am someone who does not have the patiences with a Porter Cable that I should have, like a previous poster said. I had my Alpine White E39 professionally detailed, and now she is actually white instead that awful cream color she had been.

One question, why would you want to get rid of the historic plates? In favor of BMW club plates? Maybe I am missing the point.

Historic plates limit the amount of driving you're allowed to do and give cops the right to pull you over and interrogate you at will.

I do not run club plates or anything more recognizable than the standard, I just want to be able to drive it any way I choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    Historic plates limit the amount of driving you're allowed to do and give cops the right to pull you over and interrogate you at will.
    I know there is a mileage limit per year and it can be tricky if you're pulled over driving it in the middle of the week, but does your insurance or MVA need a mileage statement every year?

Car looks amazing by the way!

No mileage statement and no actual mileage limit. It's just a license to harass and there's no reason to risk it. Hell, I don't get even get anything out of the insurance company for the Historic plates.

To expand on that, I've put a lot of effort into making this a genuinely usable car. Most swap cars have inadequate cooling, no a/c, and all kinds of lingering issues. This car will idle in 90 degree weather in a traffic jam, with the A/C blasting with no issues. The only lingering issues are that I need to drop the rear subframe out (probably this weekend) and change all the bushings and swap in a more appropriate diff.

Therefore, given that it's a zero compromise car, it's not like I only want to drive it when it's gorgeous out.

Makes sense, I'm sure it is and will be a blast to drive.

I actually got money back from the MVA when I switched to historic tags. Now no emissions.
    I don't understand the idea of being harassed for having historic tags, but the car looks real clean!

That is because it's illegal to drive a car with Historic tags daily. That's why.

Quote Originally Posted by SamB325es View Post
    I actually got money back from the MVA when I switched to historic tags. Now no emissions.
    I don't understand the idea of being harassed for having historic tags, but the car looks real clean!
    I've been running historic tags for 15 years and have never been stopped/harrassed, and the E30 was obnoxiously loud, I was building a more civil E30(with a/c) when I found my MZ Coupe.

Thread Information