Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2010) Autocross Tires - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: (2010) Autocross Tires

I ran those size tires on my E46 M3 after having stock sizes and I was sorely disappointed. All the point and shoot feeling the M3 had was gone with the large size tires. I would discourage it.

I would try to surf the net for (4) 18" M3 rear tires to shod with 255/265 tires and use them just for autox. The fronts will stick out some but won't rub.

Good luck.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

So many choices ... brain hurts. Yes, I'm doing SCCA but I'm in STU class so I get to use street tires. Good points about keeping all the wheels the same size so I'm going to look for a set of used 18" wheels. I'll just keep the old wheels around for when I sell the car. I'm going to take notes on what other people are using on our next event.
    Mike, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP SMG, 2005 E46 325xiT

Throw-Down accepted

OK you greatham,
    It's on. I'll see you at SP this weekend, and you can bring whatever tire you'd like.
    BTW, if you think your going to go out and spend a thousand dollars on new fashionable tires and expect them to win for you, that beeping you hear is the alarm clock. I bought new tires last season and they weren't on the top of the "Ones to have" list. They are ok at best. However my decision wasn't based on a single parameter of performance, almost the opposite. I wanted decent performace with little road noise and some comfort. My goal is to learn to drive the car the absolute best it can be driven. Yes these cars can understeer like a b**ch, and often. Tire presure adjustments can help, but keeping the car flat and stable on the course is one thing that's going to improve your times. I have the hardest time with that one. Smoother driving would knock at least a second or two off my times. Of course, better tires might do the same but problems are masked and not solved.
    Whew, sorry about that. You challenged me and I got nervous. I'm not qualified to give advice on upgrades or driving technique. See you Saturday.

James LeCompte

Quote Originally Posted by Zcruizer View Post
    OK you greatham,
    It's on. I'll see you at SP this weekend, and you can bring whatever tire you'd like.
    BTW, if you think your going to go out and spend a thousand dollars on new fashionable tires and expect them to win for you, that beeping you hear is the alarm clock. I bought new tires last season and they weren't on the top of the "Ones to have" list. They are ok at best. However my decision wasn't based on a single parameter of performance, almost the opposite. I wanted decent performace with little road noise and some comfort. My goal is to learn to drive the car the absolute best it can be driven. Yes these cars can understeer like a b**ch, and often. Tire presure adjustments can help, but keeping the car flat and stable on the course is one thing that's going to improve your times. I have the hardest time with that one. Smoother driving would knock at least a second or two off my times. Of course, better tires might do the same but problems are masked and not solved.
    Whew, sorry about that. You challenged me and I got nervous. I'm not qualified to give advice on upgrades or driving technique. See you Saturday.

James LeCompte
    Honestly, on the stock suspension, I find it very easy to keep the front end composed. When driven within the limits of the available front grip, the problem for the M3 is oversteer. Big oversteer.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Zcruizer View Post
    OK you greatham,
    BTW, if you think your going to go out and spend a thousand dollars on new fashionable tires and expect them to win for you, that beeping you hear is the alarm clock.
    Hahaha, I love it! You may have psyched Jim Dunlap out of showing up this year but I'm not going away that easily.
    Mike, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP SMG, 2005 E46 325xiT

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    Honestly, on the stock suspension, I find it very easy to keep the front end composed. When driven within the limits of the available front grip, the problem for the M3 is oversteer. Big oversteer.
    Hey Nick, are you coming out to SP this weekend? I would love a ride along to see how it's done. I could use all the lessons I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by agreatham View Post
    Hahaha, I love it! You may have psyched Jim Dunlap out of showing up this year but I'm not going away that easily.
    Where is Jim anyway? He must still be surfing down in Peru. I have a feeling you're going to show me up this weekend, I haven't done well up there.

I'll be attending a wedding and redoing the rear axles of two E30s. I haven't got the time.

There's not really much to teach on that, though. Slow in, fast out is just something you have to force yourself to accept. Slow down a little more before tight or sustained turns.

Right, that seems to be the trick for me. I enter a turn too hot all the time. Finding the right line to drive is tough too. Oh well, I'll get it eventually.

James

There's an old saw about novice autocrossers: They're too fast in the slow corners, and too slow in the fast corners.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I'm pretty good in the slow corners, but I'm still slow in the fast ones.

So, where's the book that tells you what corner gets what speed? This is where I have trouble. I'm sure with more experience I'll be able to be comfortable enough to relax while out there and not over do everything.

James

The answer is that you're better off slowing down more than you think you need to. Easy to say, hard to do.

I'll work on that this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    There's an old saw about novice autocrossers: They're too fast in the slow corners, and too slow in the fast corners.
    That sounds like me ahahahaha.

Thread Information