Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2010) Driving Gloves

Thread: (2010) Driving Gloves

(2010) Driving Gloves

I'm interested in getting a pair of driving gloves for the autocross events. I find that in the heat of the moment, the steering wheel can become a little slippery due to perspiration.

I've seen a couple of folks wear the MechanixWear gloves during our AX events. They seem affordable and the people that have rated them (at Amazon, specifically) seem to think they are good.

Comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.

My mechanic's gloves are suede on the palm side, which isn't as conducive to gripping like "regular" leather, unless your wheel is Alcantara. Get some retro string-back gloves, or a pair with the cut-out knuckles for cooling and flexibility!
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by mdepena View Post
    I'm interested in getting a pair of driving gloves for the autocross events. I find that in the heat of the moment, the steering wheel can become a little slippery due to perspiration.

I've seen a couple of folks wear the MechanixWear gloves during our AX events. They seem affordable and the people that have rated them (at Amazon, specifically) seem to think they are good.

Comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Why not get a set of racing gloves? They are not that expensive and are readily available. Talk to Brian Hair at OG Racing - he'll help you out.

I would commonly pull my own gloves off fighting an oversteer. I just stopped wearing them.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

I have a nice pair of OMP gloves I got from a "retiring" club racer, but I have not and probably never will use them for autocross. I personally don't see any benefit.

I wear mine usually, but to be honest, there is really no benefit. Sometimes they help get in the racing mood - if there is such a thing - but the reason I got mine was because I remember riding along with Brian Hair about three years ago and he killed the A/B lot at Fedex Field with a pair of those on, and much like the kid who can't even make a three pointer, I was he who wanted the Larry Bird sneakers just because.

I really don't follow basketball, so sorry for the out dated analogy.

Anyway, I got mine from OG Racing's website as a birthday gift.

They do compensate for my skinny, non-M steering wheel that has no girth whatsoever and is nearly completely inadequate. So that's a plus.

Anyway, you can always try on someone else's gloves at an event before shelling out $99 or whatever. Also, the sticky grip goes away after a few months, but I have been wearing mine more often than not for the past couple of seasons.

I've worn the regular Mechanix gloves for driving and find they give good grip. I bought a pair of the Mechanix M-pack gloves with the padded suade palms, and find them to be very slippery on the steering wheel. Having just bought some "racing" gloves to replace a pair I lost a few weeks ago, I disagree with Jonathan's statement about them being not very expensive. I started wearing those gloves on the track a few years ago, but never notice a difference when I forget to put them on. And I never feel the need to wear them autocrossing.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I appreciate all the suggestions and advice.

I got some motocross gloves from a motorcycle shop for my track day last year, and it was great for that, but I don't wear them for autoX. As has been said above, I saw no benefit (for me), but YEMV.

The gloves are definately a fit-test-before-you-buy item, just like a helmet.

My gloves were cheap- about $15, IIRC. Well worth it for the track day.

Thread Information