Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Chapter Event 06/13/2010 - Street Survival - Dulles, VA
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 06/13/2010 - Street Survival - Dulles, VA

06/13/2010 - Street Survival - Dulles, VA

The first Street Survival of 2010 will be held at ADESA on June 13. Note that this is a Sunday.
    The initial set of dates given us by ADESA all conflicted with DEs or autocrosses. Rather than push the event into the Summer, we've decided to try a Sunday event.

Gordon

For Street Survival informatoin and registration, please see the BMW CCA Foundation website at http://www.streetsurvival.org/school-schedule.php

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by vjmvjmvjm View Post
    There are a lot of cars that aren't listed as tested. For example, no BMW passenger cars are listed for 1998 through 2001. Does that mean they are disqualified? But a 1993 Toyota Camry is okay?
    Are Toyotas built in the US? Maybe it's a bid to buy 'merican?

Edit: That is for SUVs and Minivans. I couldn't find if an X3, X5 or X6 was listed.
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 05-05-2010 at 08:02 AM.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    Are Toyotas built in the US? Maybe it's a bid to buy 'merican?

Edit: That is for SUVs and Minivans. I couldn't find if an X3, X5 or X6 was listed.
    BMW SAVs all have DSC so should be compliant. This whole area is new to the program this year. Based upon an incident last year with HCG vehicle that rolled. In the past we had guidance about HCG vehicles and the exercises that could not be used for them. Getting more stringent this year.

Chuck
    Chuck Grafton
    '90 ///M3
    '99 ///M3
    '05 X3
    Springfield VA

My older son participated in Street Survival and the chapter's Highway Safety School/car control clinic in our '85 325e - no ABS, DSC or airbags.
    Younger son is 15 next month - can he participate in an '85 535i (ABS, but no DSC or airbags) once he receives his learner's permit?
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    My older son participated in Street Survival and the chapter's Highway Safety School/car control clinic in our '85 325e - no ABS, DSC or airbags.
    Younger son is 15 next month - can he participate in an '85 535i (ABS, but no DSC or airbags) once he receives his learner's permit?
    What is the minimum and maximum age a student can be to participate in a Tire Rack Street Survival® school?
    Licensed or permitted drivers, ages 16 to 21 are allowed in the program.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    What is the minimum and maximum age a student can be to participate in a Tire Rack Street Survival® school?
    Licensed or permitted drivers, ages 16 to 21 are allowed in the program.
    Steven,
    I understood the age & permit requirements, but didn't know if our car was now unwelcome!
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Steven,
    I understood the age & permit requirements, but didn't know if our car was now unwelcome!
    John,

Sign him up when he's ready. That car is not a problem.

Rafael
    Rafael Garces
    NCC Street Survival Coordinator
    NCC Past President (2003-2005)
    '16 BMW 340i - Estoril Blue, M-Sport, Track Handling Package
    '13 Porsche Boxster S, Amaranth Red

Rafael.
    Let's hope it survives the initial driving experience/lessons & permitting process! Maybe the hours (or actually years) of PS2 and XBox will prove to have helped his hand/eye coordination!!
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Rafael.
    Let's hope it survives the initial driving experience/lessons & permitting process! Maybe the hours (or actually years) of PS2 and XBox will prove to have helped his hand/eye coordination!!
    It was Grand Theft Auto right? You should be fine then. If the car catches on fire, you just carjack another one. (Beating up the police officer on the way is only sometimes mandatory.)

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    it was grand theft auto right? You should be fine then. If the car catches on fire, you just carjack another one. (beating up the police officer on the way is only sometimes mandatory.)
    lol
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    lol
    Yea, that's only funny when it's not your kid in your car!!!

John, sorry, in my opinion, all that "practice time" will hurt since there's no reset button on the real BMW.
    Rafael Garces
    NCC Street Survival Coordinator
    NCC Past President (2003-2005)
    '16 BMW 340i - Estoril Blue, M-Sport, Track Handling Package
    '13 Porsche Boxster S, Amaranth Red

Quote Originally Posted by Rafgar View Post
    Yea, that's only funny when it's not your kid in your car!!!

John, sorry, in my opinion, all that "practice time" will hurt since there's no reset button on the real BMW.
    Do you think kids can't tell the difference between games and real life? There is every reason to believe that playing video games helps build driving skills. The F1 teams spend millions on simulators for the drivers. (so do flight schools and the military) I used to play games before autocrosses to get my mind in gear and I am playing Road America often to learn the track in anticipation of Oktoberfest. The games out now are really really good and do a great job of reinforcing vision and visualizing things you can't see but need to be aware of. Switching between different games helps players learn to adapt to new inputs and demands. I have had students that claimed to be at their 1st driving event, and they could demonstrate the proper line in no time. When complimented, I learn from them that they play lots of driving games.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Still, there is a difference between shouting obscenities at Gears of War and logging serious laptime with iRacing. I don't think anyone is arguing anything of importance here.
    Last edited by Reach; 06-07-2010 at 07:30 PM.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

i like how active this chapter is and all the events that are available in the area. will be signing up for this as well.

Thread Information