Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Air Tools?

Thread: Air Tools?

Air Tools?

The rear diff in my Miata is toast. I'm going to replace it in the next few days.

Any thoughts regarding using an air impact wrench (which I do not yet own)? Am I just as well served using a corded impact wrench? Any recommendations on cost effective options?

I will be removing the driveshaft and axles from my '93 Miata, and I am highly confident that the relevant bolts were last touched 184,000 miles ago, in 1993 in Hiroshima. From what I've read on the internet, a 3/4 impact wrench might make the job easier (or even possible).

If I do need to get an air impact wrench, what air compressor system do I need?

Thanks!

It's been my experience that bolts that old won't necessarily respond to impact tools. A breaker bar with a 4-6' pipe on it works well.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

In other words, save my money, right?

Thanks, Nick!

Anytime I've tried to loosen a bolt on my Miata, no matter where it is (but in particular, a bolt that's been exposed to the environment, under the car, for 18 years!) has been frozen, and needs a great deal of effort to loosen.

I already started with the PB Blaster last night, I probably will spray all relevant bolts once per day for at least a week before starting on the actual removal process. Whether that will make a difference or not, who knows?

From what I've seen an impact wrench (corded) did a quick work out of a bolt I've struggled with for a couple of hours. Is it going to help on your 18 year old bolt? I don't know, but its worth the try. If the impact wrench doesn't do it, you know for sure nothing will do it.

A 4-6` breaker bar as Nick suggested is a respectable tool for the job as well. Still sometimes you have to work in a narrow space and I think because of that impact wrench is the better option.

Thanks, Vic. Very helpful.

For the air impact wrench, what type of compressor do I need? I assume that the 12 volts are not sufficient to power an air impact wrench, that I need a gas powered compressor.

Good to know your experiences on Harbor Freight stuff, that is where I am looking and will probably buy from.

From what I've heard, a 3/4 wrench is what's needed here.

You want a tank that's at least a few gallons if you want to be able to run the impact gun for more than a few seconds at a time. I'd be ambivalent about an HF compressor.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Thread Information