Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Looking for a good detailer for my E39

Thread: Looking for a good detailer for my E39

Looking for a good detailer for my E39

I could have sworn that there were threads regarding detailers, but all I am finding in my searches is the Detailing Clinic.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I finally got my replacement wheels and my 540 has been transformed back to the wonderful ride that she must have been when new. Sooooo smooth now. The problem is that on a recent trip to hershey, we were walking back to the car under the lights and I really noticed all the micro-scratches in the paint. I would love to find a good detailer or body shop that could buff or polish the swirls out for me so that I can lay down fresh sealant over super smooth paint. There are tons of detailers out there, but I am looking for someone that has been used by a forum member that would be willing to pay to have their car done by that detailer again. If you could get a idea of cost, that would be good also. Just as a point of reference. Thanks.

You can look through the past posts in the Car Care threads. There might be someone who has had a good experience in your area.
    http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/forumdisp...id=&order=desc

You can see the previous Concours posts here:
    http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/forumdisp...id=&order=desc
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

That was some good reading, but I only foud detailers in NoVA. Seems the question has been asked before regarding AA Co and such with little to no response. Guess most BMW owners to their own detailing such as I do, but now I wonder if I don't just need to find a good body shop who wil take the time to give the car that good polishing that it needs.

Maybe the shops in the area (AtSpeed) or dealers can recommend someone on your side of the river.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Bob Miller @ AtSpeed would be very happy to talk with you about detailing.
    Andy Miller
    1995 Avusblau M3
    1997 Alaskablau 318ti M Sport

That might be the best way for me to go. At Speed is actually walking distance from my house.

Try a porter cable. They are really easy to use and you can take care of micro scratches yourself. There is also plenty of video online giving detailed instructions on how to get out swirls and such. Might also want to try autogeek.net and autopia-carcare.com. Those sites have plenty of products and I believe both have forums. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by klyon85 View Post
    Try a porter cable. They are really easy to use and you can take care of micro scratches yourself. There is also plenty of video online giving detailed instructions on how to get out swirls and such. Might also want to try autogeek.net and autopia-carcare.com. Those sites have plenty of products and I believe both have forums. Good luck.
    That would be a really great idea, if I had any talent. hehehe I actually have a Porter Cable and all of the different compounds needed to do the job. I even tried to do it myself, but I wasn't very successful. At least I didn't do any damage. If anyone wants a good deal on a porter cable that's only been used a couple times, let me know. I think I have someone lined up for the detailing that I feel good about. Fingers crossed. I'll update once it's done if anyone is interested.

Update on detailing

UPDATE: I got my detailing done on my 98 E39. I didn't get a normal detailing though. I had them compound out most of the micro scratches that were in the paint from years of carwashes and other questionable treatment. I used a mobile detailing company, but in my case, they took my car to a shop to do it so that they could avoid any airbourne dust that might affect the job. I also had them use my Klasse All In One sealant. I hope to follow that up with Klasse Deep Gloss Sealant this weekend. Bottom line is that I am extremely satisfied. The most surprizing effect was that my rather cream colored alpine white car is now actually a brillant white again. The company I used was Atomic Detailing out of Ellicott City, but he covers a huge area. I was on a budget, so I only had him do the exterior. He is going to do the wife's Cabrio in the next week or two, inside and out. Then I am going to have him do my interior and maybe the engine compartment.
    Last edited by KevKaos; 04-27-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Thread Information