Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2010) SCCA Practice AX March 28 - Registration Open Until Wednesday Night - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: (2010) SCCA Practice AX March 28 - Registration Open Until Wednesday Night

^ Left some time out there...braking out of the showcase at 0:44 not necessary! Busted

Thanks for the video Mike! That was actually my last run but w/e.

Quote Originally Posted by joenationwide View Post
    ^ Left some time out there...braking out of the showcase at 0:44 not necessary! Busted
    Yeah I see it now. I just tapped the brakes going into it because the car felt like it was pushing there everytime. Didn't want to hit one of those wall cones from the side..

wagaboutdogs.com karcepts.com ssc-tint.com

^ I know I was teasing yah. I've seen you in ST the last few years and it goes w/o saying you know how to make a car dance. And I agree your in-car shows the car looked like it pushed pretty bad around the course.

I liked that part coming out of the showcase because I figured I could go flat through there, maybe give it a little flick to stay off the cone wall. And it worked. Man, I want to get some video from now on, seems like a good training tool.

Quote Originally Posted by joenationwide View Post
    I noticed the brake lights there on a number of top cars - probably all left-foot brakers - including my son in my car. I did not need to brake there (maybe I was too slow), but make a jerk of the steering wheel.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    I noticed the brake lights there on a number of top cars - probably all left-foot brakers - including my son in my car. I did not need to brake there (maybe I was too slow), but make a jerk of the steering wheel.
    Do you have any videos of your son at this event? does he uses his left foot for braking? I can't believe he was that fast. Are you guys going to run the whole season?

Yes, Brian left-foots it. It's not likely Brian will be doing any more events in my car. hehe And I know I will be missing some of them. I have both in-car and out of car video of Brian last Sunday, but don't know how to download from 8mm tape.

On Brian's first run, Lee Picceone (orange Shelby Mustang) ran right in front of him. The video shows Lee accelerating up the hill from the start and the brake lights are on most of the way. Apparently he had left foot lightly resting on brake pedal.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    yes but the RSX didn't come close to the cone wall coming out of the showcase....meaning it could have carried more speed through the showcase sweeper, thus negating the need for a brake check. if rotation was the issue, a simple lift of the throttle would have sufficed. no big deal.
    Last edited by joenationwide; 04-05-2010 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by agreatham View Post
    No in-car video this time since SCCA apparently requires the camera to be tethered.
    What are their requirements for in-car and external camera tethering?

The RSX the AJ was driving didn't seem to have a tether for the roof-mounted camera, at least not one that would keep the camera from hitting the driver.

I'm curious to know what they require... Does anyone know if SCCA would allow the camera's wrist strap to be wrapped around the mounting point? For instance, I have a tripod head mounted to a piece of metal above the rear seat area. I always wrap the wrist strap around the metal piece. Would that fly?

I will also be running a suction mount on the windshield... not sure how to tether that. Maybe a big zip tie from the rearview mirror to the suction mount, and the camera's wrist strap wrapped around the suction mount as well?

I don't want to show up at an SCCA event and not pass tech because of that.
    Chris
    98.5 ///M3 Coupe

Cosmos Racing | UUC | PBR | Ground Control | Koni | AA | Motion Motorsports | Vorshlag | THR | Prosport

I've been working tech with WDCR for a couple years. They are very strict with their camera mount rules. The mount must be securely mounted in some way(bolted down, suction cup, etc) and the mount itself must have a tether secured to the car. The camera must also have a tether securing the camera to the mount. You CAN use the leash that the camera comes with to secure it to the mount.

My camera setup is just that. I have a 3 suction cup chase cam mount that I secure to the car using a shoe string as a tether. You cannot see the shoe string because it is red and on Jasons RSX we ran it through the sunroof and secured it that way. I secured my camera to the mount by looping the leash around the mount. I've been using it for years and it has proven it's saftey in a couple RallyX events where the mount knocked loose but the shoe string held onto it and saved my camera.

We have seen some mounted close to the driver but so long as everything is tethered, we pass it. Just use common sense and make the tether short enough and strong enough so it dosen't fly around much if it does come loose.

What you describe sounds like it'll be fine. If you want, you can send me a picture of everything setup and I'll let you know if it works or not.
    Last edited by civicexracer; 04-10-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by civicexracer View Post
    I've been working tech with WDCR for a couple years. They are very strict with their camera mount rules. The mount must be securely mounted in some way(bolted down, suction cup, etc) and the mount itself must have a tether secured to the car. The camera must also have a tether securing the camera to the mount. You CAN use the leash that the camera comes with to secure it to the mount.

My camera setup is just that. I have a 3 suction cup chase cam mount that I secure to the car using a shoe string as a tether. You cannot see the shoe string because it is red and on Jasons RSX we ran it through the sunroof and secured it that way. I secured my camera to the mount by looping the leash around the mount. I've been using it for years and it has proven it's saftey in a couple RallyX events where the mount knocked loose but the shoe string held onto it and saved my camera.

We have seen some mounted close to the driver but so long as everything is tethered, we pass it. Just use common sense and make the tether short enough and strong enough so it dosen't fly around much if it does come loose.

What you describe sounds like it'll be fine. If you want, you can send me a picture of everything setup and I'll let you know if it works or not.
    Awesome. This is exactly the kind of reply I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

If I remember, I will try to find you at the next NCC autox and you can check it out.

I just picked up some 2-sided velcro at the store, so I think I am all set. There's gonna be velcro, wrist straps, and external microphone cable all over the place.

EDIT: How do you like the Chase Cam mount? Has it help up over the years? I just got the single suction cup Panavise mount that Solotime sells. It is rock solid! I was wondering how well the suction cups generally hold up over time, since my radar detector's suction cups (plain ol' non-vacuum-assisted ones) needed replaced after 2 years or so. They seem to get weak after a while. I have zero experience with big, vacuum assisted camera mounts though.
    Last edited by turbosporttsi; 04-10-2010 at 08:21 PM.
    Chris
    98.5 ///M3 Coupe

Cosmos Racing | UUC | PBR | Ground Control | Koni | AA | Motion Motorsports | Vorshlag | THR | Prosport

I love the mount, real easy to use and it's been through a lot. I've had it for about 3 years and it's still in perfect shape. The suction cups are VERY strong. Like I said before it has come loose on me during a rallyx but because the suface had some dust of it when I mounted it, it was like 100degrees inside the car(windshiled temp was probably higher) and the course was extremely rough so it just knocked off. Never had an issue for AutoX and I've mounted it all around my car. I highly suggest getting the 3inch extension becuase you're a bit limited in mounting locations and angles without it.

Quote Originally Posted by civicexracer View Post
    I love the mount, real easy to use and it's been through a lot. I've had it for about 3 years and it's still in perfect shape. The suction cups are VERY strong. Like I said before it has come loose on me during a rallyx but because the suface had some dust of it when I mounted it, it was like 100degrees inside the car(windshiled temp was probably higher) and the course was extremely rough so it just knocked off. Never had an issue for AutoX and I've mounted it all around my car. I highly suggest getting the 3inch extension becuase you're a bit limited in mounting locations and angles without it.
    Good to know. And I have been eyeing up those extensions... I tried mounting my camera to the roof interior just behind the sunroof, and the rear view mirror was directly in the way. An extension might actually make it a viable mounting option. Similar to the harness bar mounting locations that those with cages/harness bars have (except upside down, haha).

I hear ya on the strength of the mounts... when I had it suctioned to the inside of the roof, I pulled on it to test the mounting position, and I darn near creased the roof metal, even with the surface it was mounted to being pretty rough... it's certainly not smooth.
    Chris
    98.5 ///M3 Coupe

Thread Information