Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Anyone know where to find a skidpad class
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know where to find a skidpad class

Anyone know where to find a skidpad class

I was wondering if ncc might consider hosting a skidpad class. Failing that, anybody have any idea if there are any in our area?
    2006 Z4 M Coupe

I keep asking this as well. I'm game for a skidpad school. I mentioned this on my last HPDE eval form. But if someone else will offer it - I'm in.

Re: Anyone know where to find a skidpad class

Quote Originally Posted by prentissra
    I keep asking this as well. I'm game for a skidpad school. I mentioned this on my last HPDE eval form. But if someone else will offer it - I'm in.
    I did as well. I did my first ever track day at VIR last weekend and my instructor suggested getting on a skidpad as a really great way of learning car control (I had a incredable time!) I guess I'll have to work a little harder finding a school that includes it.
    2006 Z4 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by TomRogers View Post
    I did as well. I did my first ever track day at VIR last weekend and my instructor suggested getting on a skidpad as a really great way of learning car control (I had a incredable time!) I guess I'll have to work a little harder finding a school that includes it.
    Every NCC driving school includes skidpad time with excellent instructors. There, that was easy Also, several other groups make the Summit Shenandoah skidpad available during events there, but without the excellent BMW instructors. I did 2-3 events there last year where the pad was available first-come, first-served all day. It was a great way to practice what the excellent BMW instructors taught me.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by TomRogers View Post
    The best skidpad practice available has always been snowy parking lots(empty), you can learn so much about drifting and under/oversteer recovery in 1 snowstorm that its amazing, also braking and abs/asc/atc, etc!,can be explored and managed,as teens, we always loved the 40mph parking brake spin, just stay away from poles!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    The best skidpad practice available has always been snowy parking lots(empty), you can learn so much about drifting and under/oversteer recovery in 1 snowstorm that its amazing, also braking and abs/asc/atc, etc!,can be explored and managed,as teens, we always loved the 40mph parking brake spin, just stay away from poles!
    I wish it was that easy now ... doing that in parking lots is now prosecuted as trespassing and reckless driving.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I wish it was that easy now ... doing that in parking lots is now prosecuted as trespassing and reckless driving.
    Uh,sorry, Officer Fife, I'll practice learning my car control skills in rush hour tomorrow, that'll be much safer, right?

I agree that we get excellent instruction at our Drivers Schools. The problem we face is that we only get 5-7 minutes of skid pad time per day. I understand why - the timing ensures everyone gets some skidpad time. For me, I am just getting into the session and then its over. This has been true for the NCC, NJ, and DelVal schools I have attended. I think there are alot of us who want more time to help develop the skills that all instructors say are the most helpful in your driving toolbox.

Unfortunately, parking lots in my areas have big light poles and barriers to prevent someone from using a wide open lot for their practice area. If someone knows of a good lot in Central MD, I'm all ears.

Just out of curiosity, if a skidpad event was hosted, how much would you a person be willing to pay and how much seat time would be expected?

Only in Virginia

Just out of curiosity, if a skidpad event was hosted, how much would you a person be willing to pay and how much seat time would be expected?
    I have never had a skidpad class but I would think 3 or 4 5 to 10 minute sessions would be very useful. As far as price goes - since your getting dedicated lot access the price would worth more, say $50-$75 dollars - just guessing here. Have there been dedicated skidpad classes elsewhere - what did they go for?

---
    Tom Rogers
    2006 Z4 M Coupe
    2006 Z4 M Coupe

The best way to get skidpad access is to become a FATT instructor.

I would happily sign up for skidpad use. With BSR renting skidpads to autox groups, maybe it's actually viable now.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I'd pay up to $75 for 4 - 5, ten-minute runs.

10 minutes straight on a skidpad? You probably want 5 minutes at a time in 8-10 runs. Realistically, that's about 10 people across a full day if everything is run like clockwork. It might be more realistic to have 6 runs at 5 minutes each and then allow folks to enjoy bonus time if it happens.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    10 minutes straight on a skidpad? You probably want 5 minutes at a time in 8-10 runs. Realistically, that's about 10 people across a full day if everything is run like clockwork. It might be more realistic to have 6 runs at 5 minutes each and then allow folks to enjoy bonus time if it happens.
    yeah 10 mins straight on a skidpad will make you pretty dizzy lol
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Thread Information