Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 103

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 103

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Get rid of MD front license plates

Thread: Get rid of MD front license plates

Get rid of MD front license plates

Maryland: No Front License Plates [LAW]
    A [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Maryland[/COLOR][/COLOR] congressman is making a motion to eliminate the front license plate requirement. Let’s help him!!
    The story is here: http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sec...StoryID=102089

Summary of FNP article: Delegate Donald Elliott, who represents portions of Frederick and Carroll counties, is the lead sponsor of the measure.
    If passed, Maryland would join 21 states, including Pennsylvania and West Virginia, in requiring only a rear license plate.
    The bill would phase in the use of one plate as people get new plates.
    According to the Department of Legislative Services, the change would save the state $518,700 in the next fiscal year, and $719,700 by fiscal 2015.
    But the chairwoman of the committee considering the bill said objections from police and state toll workers may be too great to overcome.

BMW [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Drivers[/COLOR][/COLOR] can help:

We can express our support by contacting him.
    I personally am a political moderate, actually left leaning… so this has nothing to do with politics, as the delegate is a republican. I think it is a great idea that could use support from like-minded people. Why does PA, with large cities like Philadelphia and PIT not have a requirement, but we do? Same for FL and other states.

e-mail: donald.elliott@house.state.md.us
    DONALD B. ELLIOTT
    Republican, District 4B, Carroll & Frederick Counties
    House Office Building, Room 311
    6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401
    (410) 841-3118, (301) 858-3118
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3118 (toll free)
    e-mail: donald.elliott@house.state.md.us
    [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]fax[/COLOR][/COLOR]: (410) 841-3349, (301) 858-3349
    P. O. Box 370
    204 Lambert Ave., New Windsor, MD 21776 - 0370
    (410) 848-5373

[Sample Letter - create your own]

Delegate Elliott,

I am a resident of Frederick County and read Meg Tully's article in the Frederick News Post this morning about your proposal to eliminate the MD front license plate. Great idea!!

I am offering my support and encouragement. I am a moderate liberal who is fiscally conservative. I like to praise (and criticize) both parties when appropriate, and I think your proposal is one that should be universally praised.

I have questioned the front license plate requirement myself. I am an avid car enthusiast, and am frequently passed by PA drivers who do not need a front plate, despite being a very populous and congested state itself. In today's economic climate, it seems highly logical that it would be simple and inexpensive to effect your proposed change, and reward the state with less costs. I think most people, given the choice, would rather save the state's money, or reinvest it towards education, infrastructure, or lower taxes. I have informed many of my car enthusiast friends who are likely to support us.

If there is anything that I can do to be of assistance, please do not hesitate to employ me in your efforts to effect this change.

Sincerely,

[name]

Certainly not the first time this was proposed.
    There would be a cost savings to the state but the police want two plates.
    End of story.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

The police will rule the day on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    Certainly not the first time this was proposed.
    There would be a cost savings to the state but the police want two plates.
    End of story.
    However, the last time this was proposed we were in good economic times and balancing the budget was of little concern. Now states are trying to squeeze every cent possible out of the budget. I'm by far not saying that this will pass however I'm saying that it might be more likely to pass now.

Worth the effort.

Unemployment is high all things considered, states are paying out with not much coming in. One way states have been generating revenue is by using the police to shake down the public for speed and other violations that would otherwise go un-noticed. I went without a front tag on my truck for years, all of a sudden I got pulled over for it 2 times in 3 days while just driving with traffic on 270.

What I find funny is that in many states in Europe it is legal for the public to call into radio stations about police traps, etc. Radio stations broadcast it much like WTOP Traffic on the 8th...except it's more like; Black unmarked Audi A6 facing southbound 2km from such and such town; cop is hiding behind a large oak tree 5km north of such and such...

I find this very entertaining, one must however have a native speaker in the car, or speak the language, otherwise these reports will do diddly squat...but at least it's legal.

I equate the front plate with no slot machines, the nanny state knows best, and thats why we've lost probably billions of revenue to NJ,DE,WV,and lately,Pa.,btw,we still gamble our kids college education away, we just do it with lotto!,thats seems to be OK!

Agree with you Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The police will rule the day on this issue.

tsk tsk

Oh how easy we surrender. If front plates were that important, in my opinion, they'd be printed both forward and backward so you can read them in the rearview mirror.
    Maybe we could start displaying our drivers licenses in the windows as well.
    The police shouldn't rule anything, law should be studied before law is enforced.

James

Cool Get them while they are still a set!!!

YES! Two for the price of one!!! Maryland NCCBMWCCA license plates.

And NONE for the Virginia members!
    Bob Stern
    MD BMW CLUB TAG # BMW 0868

Senior Moment - 2003 330Ci (gone)
    Blue Tang O - 2013 135i (now in her bed)

Thread Information