Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
1995 BMW 840ci needs help

Thread: 1995 BMW 840ci needs help

1995 BMW 840ci needs help

A quick background: My differential started making a rumbling/howling sound and I know the differential will need replacing this year. The discounted price at Tischer for the part is $1800.

I got some excellent feedback on the forum for places to build the part. Dan at www.diffonline.com quoted $995 if open and $1295 if limited slip which is a significant saving from retail cost. My challenge now is my trusty mechanic does not have space to park a diff-less car for 2 weeks during rebuilt. I do not have a garage or driveway. I am reaching out to see if anyone in the club who may have the space and ability to help me with this project. I can pay $250 for the trouble of storage and help, my elbow grease and slight mechanical knowledge. Thanks. Moses, Cheverly, MD

Moses,

You should bring your car to the next DIY session. You just missed one today.

The car will not be drivable with the differential.removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowjacket View Post
    The car will not be drivable with the differential.removed.
    Have it towed to the next session then.

@kkimokk: You are misunderstanding the situation. The car is drivable currently. Thanks for your input, but I am discussing this issue with experienced techs on this forum.
    Last edited by Yellowjacket; 02-28-2010 at 09:10 PM.

I've replaced the differential in my E32 which, mechanically, is very similar to your E31. Instead of rebuilding it, I just bought a used one. It cost about $300 for a 3.91 limited slip unit. I cleaned and installed it in one day. Depending on how you use your car (you're not tracking it, I assume) this may be the best route for you. I volunteer at most of the DIY days and could help out.

I bought my car with 124k on it. It is possible a previous owner neglected to chage the diff oil at the proper interval. Is this a possibility with your car? I ask because it seems that worn out differentials are rare with our generation BMWs.
    Greg Rea
    1985 M639 (arctic blue shark II)
    1989 E32/M30 (white whale)
    ex-1965 Ford Falcon Futura Convertible (302 H.O. auto, still in the family)
    ex-1986 E24 turbo (arctic blue shark I, sold 3/07)

If downtime is a big deal, just buy a rebuilt diff from Dan and pay the refundable core charge. He'll ship you a rebuilt diff built to your specs and you just send him the old one when you install it. He refunds the core charge. Presto, limited downtime.
    No matter where you go, there you are!

Thanks for the recommendations. Metric and Diff Online do not have one in stock. I wish I could do a swap. My local mechanic can handle it for a reasonable price. The other models may have similar innards but the case is different. BTW Dan's price is really good ($1k for an open).

If it were me, I'd have him rebuild it with a 40% lsd... But that's just me.
    No matter where you go, there you are!

Quote Originally Posted by rrsperry View Post
    If it were me, I'd have him rebuild it with a 40% lsd... But that's just me.
    You beat me to my own thoughts. If I can work out the logistics of parking my car and removing the diff, I will get LSD for ~$350 more.

thought i'd share this from the National website for all 8 series owners:

http://bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6979
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowjacket View Post
    @kkimokk: You are misunderstanding the situation. The car is drivable currently. Thanks for your input, but I am discussing this issue with experienced techs on this forum.
    If your car is still drivable then I guess you should be able to buy a rebuilt one and swap it out at one of the DIY events? Or am I missing something?

Thread Information