Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
325 AWD rotor replacement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 325 AWD rotor replacement

325 AWD rotor replacement

Hi all,

I've heard it's very difficult to replace rotors on an AWD sedan. I have a 2003 325xi (an e46). I'm wondering if anyone has done this job themselves and has any advice? I looked online for a DIY but couldn't find anything. If you know of one, I'd appreciate the URL. I would save several hundred dollars if it's a doable job.

Thanks!
    Brian

What idiot told you that?

Front:
    1) Remove wheel. (5 bolts)
    2) Remove 5mm hex set screw. (hardest part if it's been there a while - an impact tool is frequently your friend.)
    3) Spread pads. (A screwdriver will do this, although bigass channel locks are better.)
    4) Remove 16mm bolts holding carrier.
    5) Remove carrier and suspend with safety wire, or set it on a bucket.
    6) Remove rotor. If it won't come free, grab BMW Special Tool 001 (the mini sledge) and bash the shit out of it until it comes free.
    7) Reverse.

Rear:
    Same as front, but don't forget to release the parking brake.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

And I find it helpful to spray some PB Blaster around the hub and wait 15 minutes.
    I don't have BMW Special Tool 001, but to have a BF deadblow H. Watch your toes!
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Thanks!

My mechanic, of all people, told me it was a job that he wouldn't recommend I do, even though he knows I've completed a number of DIY projects. I really appreciate the info...I'll do the work myself.

Thanks for the tip on PB Blaster. I will use it!

"Your mechanic" told you that because you are robbing him of gravy work...

Rotors and brakes are an easy job. I started doing DIYs because my mechanic charged me for this service and a buddy of mine told me the steps to doing it. Pissed off I was. Come on out to a DIY and we can crank it out in a hour.

Nick - in lieu of a screwdriver or channel locks, I have a pad spreader that I bought for $6 at Pep Boys. Works like a charm.

I have a pad spreader, too. It's too much effort to use it on single piston brakes though. I only use it when I'm working on a car that comes with good brakes. (i.e. not a BMW.)

Hex screws. It is always advisable to have new ones? We're about to change out discs, and the "kit" didn't come with new ones. Also, as a home mechanic, there aren't any impact tools in my garage. But if one had one (or I invested in one...we do have a compressor), just what tip goes on it to help turn the screw? If our case the hex screws will have been in place for 10 years.

Wouldn't penetrating oil carefully applied have a role as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunlap View Post
    Hex screws. It is always advisable to have new ones? We're about to change out discs, and the "kit" didn't come with new ones. Also, as a home mechanic, there aren't any impact tools in my garage. But if one had one (or I invested in one...we do have a compressor), just what tip goes on it to help turn the screw? If our case the hex screws will have been in place for 10 years.

Wouldn't penetrating oil carefully applied have a role as well?
    Some people don't even use the hex screws. I use the old ones as long as they are not stripped.
    I'd soak the hex screws with penetrating oil.
    A handy tool is an impact driver. But not necessary. Worse comes to worse you can drill them out, but you will need to replace them if you want to.
    I have found the carrier bracket to always be very stubborn. I've used a 1/2" breaker bar with a pipe on the end for extra leverage.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Breaker bar I have. Electric drill and bits, ditto. Now with all this effort discussing worst case scenarios, I bet the little weezers will simply twist out almost on their own. Fingers crossed.

If you're careful to clean out the screw and make certain that the bit is in, you probably won't strip it. Also, if you hammer hard enough, you can break the rotor off around it.

Exclamation Possible culture change required

Finger Tight

The basic reason the "fastener in question" is there is to keep the rotor from dropping off and falling on your toes. (If and) when you replace the "fastener in question", torque it to only finger tight specs [i.e., use your fingers]. You can also use anti-seize compound to save yourself (or others) future outbursts of colourful language.

Hope this helps.

Slainte,
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by blmitche View Post
    Thanks!

My mechanic, of all people, told me it was a job that he wouldn't recommend I do, even though he knows I've completed a number of DIY projects. I really appreciate the info...I'll do the work myself.
    Yeah - because he wants to make buku bucks off of you.
    If you can put a child's lego set together (I'm not even talking about the hard ones), you can do a brake job. It's one of the easiest things to do on a car. Plus, doing it yourself will save you literally thousands of dollars over the life of your car.
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

Thread Information