Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Spring Columbia social location - need ideas - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spring Columbia social location - need ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Munchenman2 View Post
    Perhaps an occasional social at Blob's Park?

DCBub
    their website says they are only open during the weekends
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Exclamation Essayons!

...French for "Let us try"...

That's why I suggested "an occassional"...NCC members are just as social at the weekend as they are on Monday through Thursday evenings.

You are correct, Blob's Park is open only on weekernds until more enthusiasts cause it to open every day as in past. We have a rere opportunity to bring back a mid-Atlantic institution that we'd have to visit Bavaria to match!

Those of us who - during their fantastic seventy-plus years loved going to their original German Beer Hall and open beer garden - should do all we can to help them restore that special feeling of gemultekeit (sp?).

Do we have any members who'd like to try something new, or are we more comfortable in a set weekday environment? We might discover even more Chapter attendees at the occassional Blob's Park afternoon social.

Comments?

DCBub

Columbia, MD. Land of political correctness run amok.
    If Savage Mills is out of the equation, I'd go with Bare Bones, as well. Huge Lot. Right in Ellicot city. And they actually serve food OTHER than Pizza. I don't understand this love for Pub Dog...you can't hear each other even while shouting, and the menu is so one dimensional, that turned sideways, it would be completely invisible.

How about Sonoma's in Columbia. While we couldn't have our own room, there is plenty of parking, and if the weather's nice they have seating outside... just a thought.
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirichlet View Post
    How about Sonoma's in Columbia. While we couldn't have our own room, there is plenty of parking, and if the weather's nice they have seating outside... just a thought.
    Never been there, how big is the place? bigger than River Hill or PubDog?

One issue that always comes up is when they ask me how many people and I reply, 'anywhere between 20-50'. most of the bigger places like Champps can easily handle that, but many smaller places can't.

I don't think we'd have much of a problem fitting in there, especially if the weather is nice. I'm not sure if they take reservations for large groups tho... I have a good friend that works there. Let me drop him a line.
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

Quote Originally Posted by vicj View Post
    I don't understand this love for Pub Dog...you can't hear each other even while shouting, and the menu is so one dimensional, that turned sideways, it would be completely invisible.
    Very much agreed.

It's loud, you can really only talk with the four other people sitting in your booth, and the menu is tediously limited. It's the only place we've been to for a Columbia social in several years that I would not be happy about going back to.

And on that note, why do we need another new place? Riverhill, Chapps, and even Looneys have all been fine, and it seems unlikely that we will find anywhere that is appreciably better. A regular rotation between them (avoiding Champs of course for the holidays) seems like a fine solution. (Actually Champs seems decent for the summer months, where we can park on a covered level when there is a threat of thunderstorms.)

We haven't been to Riverhill for a while, I think it would be worth going back to.
    Andy Miller
    1995 Avusblau M3
    1997 Alaskablau 318ti M Sport

There was a pretty strong sentiment at tonight's social to continue at Looney's since its been pretty good to us so far (except that its been cold/rain/snow every time). The food/service is good, parking is decent, and the semi-private area works out well. I have no problem continuing at Looney's, however, they do require that we give them a semi-accurate headcount 2 days before.

I usually multiply the number of RSVPs by 2.5 to get a 'ballpark number', but I really shouldnt have to do that. I understand that some people forget and some can't get onto this forum, but I would appreciate if everyone can make a more concerted effort to RSVP all the time.

Any thoughts about this and/or extending Looney's to either April or May?

Let's extend at Looney's and hope for good weather next time

I'm down with more Loony's as long as they actually give us the room. Last 2 times they've been seating other people in our area, and it's not like they even seat them on one side.

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyr777 View Post
    I'm down with more Loony's as long as they actually give us the room. Last 2 times they've been seating other people in our area, and it's not like they even seat them on one side.
    I can ask for the entire room, but it all depends on people to RSVP. When I only get 12 people that tell me they're coming and 30 people show up, thats a problem. I've been doing this for almost 3 years now, so I know that everyone won't RSVP, but it can't be too much to ask, is it? I usually double the number of RSVPs anyways to account for people not telling me, and i've been burned by not enough people showing up (goes both ways i guess).

anyone with suggestions on how to handle this issue? i'd rather not say that RSVPs are mandatory and don't want to turn people away at the door( or create an administrative nightmare for myself), but it gets pretty difficult finding places that will have us when all they ask in return is a reasonable estimate on the # of people we'll have.

end of rant
    Last edited by pseto; 02-28-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Thread Information