Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Seven BMW enigines in Daytona 24-Hour

Thread: Seven BMW enigines in Daytona 24-Hour

Seven BMW enigines in Daytona 24-Hour

The Rolex Grand-Am 24-Hour Race at Daytona goes off at 3 pm this Saturday. The engine breakdown for the 14 Daytona Prototypes has 5 BMWs, 5 Fords, 3 Porsches, and 1 GM. The always-favored Target-Ganassi team have switched from Lexus to BMW this season. The 28 GT class cars includes 13 Porsche GT3s, 7 Mazda RX8s, 2 BMW M6s, 2 Camaros, 2 Poitiacs, 1 Corvette and 1 Ferrari 430. Only the Porsches and Ferrari are really production based. The rest have tube-frame chassis built by race shops such as Riley and Pratt & Miller. The BMW engines are the S62 V8s from the E39 M5. Most, if not all, are race prepared by Dinan.

There are lots of big-name drivers from other series including NASCAR, IRL, participating. Scott Dixon, Dario Franchitti, and Justin Wilson are Indy Racing League regulars. NASCAR is sending Juan Pablo Montoyo, Jimmy Johnson, Jamie McMurray, Max Papis, Colin Braun, and AJ Allmendinger. Regular Grand-Am drivers include Scott Pruett, Max Angeletti, Wayne Taylor, David Donohue, Hurley Haywood, and Nic Jonsson. One of the BMW M6s is entered by Turner Motorsports and their "dream team" of drivers has Bill Auberlen, Joey Hand, Boris Said (all from California) and Paul Dall Luna from Toronto. The other M6 also has 3 Californians and Rob Finlay from New Hampshire.

The race will be televised live on Speed TV in two segments - Saturday from 3pm to 10pm and Sunday from 7am to 4 pm. A 1 hour preview show is on Monday (tonght) at 10pm and it is repeated Tuesday at 10am and Saturday at 2 pm.

I know some chapter members are making the 11-hour drive to Daytona to see the race in person.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I might watch all 24 hours if I can... I'll be lying around all day after having my wisdom teeth removed. I really wish I could go down there.

I'm not sure if I find the mood to cheer for Ganassi and Scott Pruett ("Hi to my family at home!"). Though he does seem to be quite a talented driver. But I'm all for TMS' M6s

7 hours to departure

Have fun man! I'm tentatively planning to go next year.

It sounds like you think like me Anders. I know Pruett is an awesome Grand Am driver, but I still cannot accept Ganassi as a BMW team now. I won't be cheering against them, but I'll pulling for the #55 and #95 in the DP class.

I'll really want good results for the TMS "Dream Team." I really hope the car holds up and stays competitive throughout.

I don't know which driver was doing the actually qualifying, but the 02, 01 and 55 BMW-Rileys qualified 4th, 5th, and 6th behind 3 Ford-powered DPs. The Corsa team #32 M6 qualified 8th in GT and the Turner #94 was 10th. BEAUTIFUL weather today. Rain is forecast for Saturday's 24-Hour.
    Woody

Great weekend, but not so great for BMW. Those M6s are LOUD!

I won't ruin the viewing for those planning to watch the Continental Tire race on Speed TV a week from Saturday (&pm), but I'd say the BMWs did quite well. And in the 24-Hour Rolex, 2nd overall ain't that bad. For a good while Saturday night BMW-engined DPs were 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th.
    Woody

I keep forgetting the Target cars are BMWs.. so yes I agree, second not bad. I was hoping to see TMS higher, but they might be happy just finishing in a new car.

Thread Information