Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Question on harnesses

Thread: Question on harnesses

Question on harnesses

Is there a difference b/w harnesses?

a) 5 pt. vs. 6 pt. camlock? Is one safer than the other, or is one primarily designed to prevent your testicles from being crushed?

b) does it make a difference if one belt is primarily made from nylon and the other from polyester? What is the significance of this? A lot of people make a big deal about it.

c) I don't understand, why is schroth FIA approved and good for five years vs. Corbeau's that are SFI approved and only good for two years?

I've also been looking at G-force belts -- since they are cheaper as well. I'm just trying to figure out why schroth's are twice the price of others. I could buy two sets of corbeau's for the schroth's price off-setting the five year approval advantage that schroth has.

d) Any other concerns re: belts? Should I get pull-ups or pull-downs? I assume the submarine portion should be "pull-up" and the shoulder portions "pull-down" or not necessarily true?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by NoSoup4U
    Is there a difference b/w harnesses?

a) 5 pt. vs. 6 pt. camlock? Is one safer than the other, or is one primarily designed to prevent your testicles from being crushed?

b) does it make a difference if one belt is primarily made from nylon and the other from polyester? What is the significance of this? A lot of people make a big deal about it.

c) I don't understand, why is schroth FIA approved and good for five years vs. Corbeau's that are SFI approved and only good for two years?

I've also been looking at G-force belts -- since they are cheaper as well. I'm just trying to figure out why schroth's are twice the price of others. I could buy two sets of corbeau's for the schroth's price off-setting the five year approval advantage that schroth has.

d) Any other concerns re: belts? Should I get pull-ups or pull-downs? I assume the submarine portion should be "pull-up" and the shoulder portions "pull-down" or not necessarily true?

TIA
    I ended up ordering Schroth, clip in, pull up on the submarine portion, since it's easier to adjust when you are in the seat. Schroth offers every possibly combination of pull-up/down, bolt-in/clip-in. Clip in is a little easier to adjust (attachment points are less rigid) and can easily be taken out.

New Sparco is a rebadged Schroth, and is 1.5 times the price and doesn't come with any hardware, vs Schroth, which I beleive does.

Take a look at HMS site, Profi III. I didn't order from there, however.

As far as Corbeau, I was not too pleased with their harness. The camlock looked weak, had an 03 sticker on the back of it, even though it was shipped from Corbeau. I didn't unwrap the belts all the way, but I didn't see any SFI/FIA markings.

-- Jason

Banned
    Harnesses should only be used with an appropriate roll bar or cage. Harnesses must be replaced after an accident according to the manufacture. Camlocks are alot easier to get into and out of at least for me. Shoulder belts should be pull down. 6 pts are usually better than 5. It give submarine belt two mounting points instead of one. Mounting points should be able handle the stresses of an accident. Never ever skimp or try to pitch pennies when it comes to safety equipment the difference can be your life. Tighten the belts as much as you can stand. They will stretch 2-3in in
    an accident. Buy the best belts out there. I don't recommend harness bars.

Why is Gforce, OMP, Simpson, etc.. worse in terms of safety?
    Last edited by NoSoup4U; 02-04-2005 at 10:36 AM.

I am sure they are not worse....I think a lot of those belts are actually made by Sabelt. I saw a latch G-Force at OG...Or maybe it was a Simpson. As long as they are certified, I think you are plenty safe. I agree that the mounting points are more crucial than the belt name.

Also, in my previous post, I meant to say pull up on the lap belt, not the submarine.

-- Jason

There is a good thread on Corner Carvers about harnesses (http://corner-carvers.com/wiki/index...ar%20Harnesses). Basically he only recommends 4 belts. I went with the 6pt Sabelt 3" (Sparco brand) and so far they are great. If you decide to get the Sparco ones they don't usually sell a '6pt kit' you buy the 4 point with camlock and add a 1 or 2pt sub belt. The 2pt sub belt is only like $30 for the Y and $25 for the T. I got both and like the Y better.
    http://www.2kgt.com/item.php?itemid=109

Also the Sparco's don't come with mounting hardware (sub belt does, but the lap belts don't). The mount tabs are 8 and you would need 2 per seat. I got them at OG Racing in Manassas as a last minute purchase b/c I didn't know they didn't come with hardware.

Like jason said above, harnesses should only be used in combo with a roll bar/cage and proper seats.

--chad

My sub didn't come with hardware. Also, I am gonna need these http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store.p...391&method=cat reinforcement plates, 6 of them

-- Jason

what sub belt did you get? Who made it?

why do you need 6? You are wrapping the shoulder around a harness bar on a roll bar right?

--chad

Quote Originally Posted by white_2kgt
    what sub belt did you get? Who made it?

why do you need 6? You are wrapping the shoulder around a harness bar on a roll bar right?

--chad
    Sparco, aka rebadged Schroth

6 since it's 3 per seat (1 sub + 2 lap). Yes, sholders belts are wrapped.

-- Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jkuper
    Sparco, aka rebadged Schroth

6 since it's 3 per seat (1 sub + 2 lap). Yes, sholders belts are wrapped.
    Oh you got a 5pt. Ok. I got the 6 point sub belt and it came with hardware (sparco).

--chad

WRT life, it is because SFI specs 2 years, and FIA specs 5 years.

WRT 5 versus 6 point, if you go with FIA, I would say 6 or 7 point. SCCA racing is making the change and ina year or so 5 points will no longer be legal. Would bite to have a 5 year life FIA belt that you have to scrap to change up to 6 point.
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
    SCCA Spec Racer Ford Red/White

Thanks Terry. I went ahead and purchased Schroth FIA six-pt camlock harnesses. I believe they expire in 2009. I purchased them on sale from HMS motorsports. I bought six-point for the comfort factor -- so, I would not squish anything ...

But, glad to see I made a good choice -- for the wrong reasons, hehe.

I like my Scroth 4 points in both M3s.

And I like cam locks for getting strapped in by yourself. WItha crew it may be different.
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
    SCCA Spec Racer Ford Red/White

Thread Information