Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Chapter Event 04/17/2010 - Ladies DIY @ At Speed Motorsports
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 04/17/2010 - Ladies DIY @ At Speed Motorsports

04/17/2010 - Ladies DIY @ At Speed Motorsports

7410 Coca Cola Drive
    Hanover, MD 21076
    atspeedmotorsports.com
    Last edited by MPWR; 01-23-2010 at 11:29 PM.

04/17/2010 - DIY @ At Speed Motorsports

Do It Yourself (DIY) Program Overview

The 2010 Do It Yourself (DIY) program allows National Capital Chapter (NCC) BMW Car Club of America (CCA) Members to work on their own cars under the supervision of expert mechanics and technicians provided by the DIY Sponsor. The purpose of the DIY is to learn and practice proper maintenance and repair techniques that you can routinely complete within a two-and-one-half-hour (2.5 hour) time period.

There are typically several NCC members who can assist you when an extra pair of hands or advice is needed. We are happy to show newcomers the joys of working on your own car. Most events start at between 8 am and 9 am and typically finish at 3 pm. Lunch for the event is provided by the club.

The DIY Program Webpage is here http://www.nccbmwcca.org/content.php?119-diy

This event offers online registration and payment through MotorsportReg.com.

More...
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 03-26-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Registration for the Ladies DIY opens tomorrow.

Everyone is encouraged to register, but women will have priority for all jobs.

I just signed up and I have a couple of questions.

Where do I pay the $20? Is it ok to pay cash the day of the event?

I'm requesting changing my brakes pads and possibly the rotors. Are any special tools required for that? I have a Wrench set something like this. And I have one screwdriver with multiple parts that fit in the handle. Is that sufficient?

Since I plan to do this brake change again someday, I'd like to have my own tools.

Thanks.
    - Gina -

If you do not trust people, people will not trust you. -Lao Tzu-

Hi Gina-

Bringing $20 to the event is fine

The extra tools I'd recommend are:
    -A 'persuader' (extra large flat blade screwdriver) for removing the caliper spring
    -A pair of goggles (because that spring will hit you in the face)
    -A set of metric sized hex (allen) drivers for the rotor retainer bolt
    -Something to press the piston back into the caliper (I use a large C-clamp)

Go ahead and order the new rotors. If you don't put them on at the DIY, as you mention, you'll want to do it some other time. But if you don't have them at the DIY, you won't be able to install them if you decide you want to.

You can come out and use borrowed tools, and then decide what you will need to buy for yourself later.

Pelican parts has some excellent online how-to's. Here are the ones for pads and rotors.

Caroline
    I'm the only 4 cylinder in this village!
    Caroline Miller
    LDIY Co Chair
    '97 Alaska Blau 318ti
    '95 Avus Blau M3

There is something we really need to get done this month and we accidentaly missed the deadline this night. Is there any chance that we can still get in on this event?

Quote Originally Posted by mduhovich View Post
    There is something we really need to get done this month and we accidentaly missed the deadline this night. Is there any chance that we can still get in on this event?

I suspect I'll be able to fit you in as a walk-up. Please let me know either by posting here or by PM what it is that you need to be able to get done.
    I'm the only 4 cylinder in this village!
    Caroline Miller
    LDIY Co Chair
    '97 Alaska Blau 318ti
    '95 Avus Blau M3

Quote Originally Posted by ///M44ti View Post
    I suspect I'll be able to fit you in as a walk-up. Please let me know either by posting here or by PM what it is that you need to be able to get done.
    That will be awesome. I will need to install a hitch on my x5. I also have to replace brakes, but I am not sure that there will be sufficient time for this.

Also, my 'check engine' indicator just popped up a couple of days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mduhovich View Post
    That will be awesome. I will need to install a hitch on my x5. I also have to replace brakes, but I am not sure that there will be sufficient time for this.

Also, my 'check engine' indicator just popped up a couple of days ago.
    front or rear brakes or both? installing a hitch along with the brakes is a lot though. is it the OEM hitch that comes with the wiring harness?
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Paul, I am not sure which ones. I just have an error on the dashboard "check brakes linings." Hitch is priority though, since we bought a new sailboat and we need to pick it up from the seller. In addition, I want to be able to get to the PM session of the autocross, so probably I will have to do brakes next time.

The hitch is not OEM - just a cheaper version for x5 with an electrical system. Alex says that he has already bought all the necessary pieces.

Maria.

If you have a brake system light, that's your priority. It probably means that the wear sensor on one set of pads has been worn through- which means your pads are very thin. Time to change them, or at least verify that they are in good working condition. Don't tow any sailboats without checking your brakes. And no autocross either.
    Last edited by MPWR; 04-07-2010 at 02:01 PM.
    Andy Miller
    1995 Avusblau M3
    1997 Alaskablau 318ti M Sport

My $0.02.

I would recommend doing the the brakes first. Stopping is always a priority. If the light is on that means you have hit the wear sensor on the pads and they are low. The brakes should be replaced as soon as possible. I agree with Andy that you shouldn't do autox or tow until you get this fixed.

Also, if you are on the waitlist, you probably will not get on a lift until the afternoon. I'm not sure if the hitch can be installed on ground level.

Caroline will need to make the final decision.

Brakes just slow you down.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    front or rear brakes or both? installing a hitch along with the brakes is a lot though. is it the OEM hitch that comes with the wiring harness?
    Installing a hitch on an X5 shouldn't be much trouble as the frame is predrilled from the factory for it (if I recall correctly). If it is predrilled, I assume that it's not more than eight bolts that need to be put in to mount it. As a caution, remember that all hitch assembly bolts require a ridiculous amount of torque, so be prepared with a torque wrench that can read as high as you need to go. (Typically anything hitch related goes to 160+ ft. lbs.)

Quote Originally Posted by prentissra View Post
    My $0.02.

I would recommend doing the the brakes first. Stopping is always a priority. If the light is on that means you have hit the wear sensor on the pads and they are low. The brakes should be replaced as soon as possible. I agree with Andy that you shouldn't do autox or tow until you get this fixed.

Also, if you are on the waitlist, you probably will not get on a lift until the afternoon. I'm not sure if the hitch can be installed on ground level.

Caroline will need to make the final decision.
    no autocrossing on X5!!!!!!!!!!)))

Thread Information