Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Check Brake Pad Problem

Thread: Check Brake Pad Problem

Smile Check Brake Pad Problem

I just recently purchased a 2003 BMW 325xi that was Maryland Inspected. The other day while I was driving, the "Check Brake Pads" warning light came on. It stayed while driving home, and was on when I started the car the next morning. I did a little research and found some suggestions on how to reset the light. I put the key in position 2 for 30-40 seconds before starting the car, and when I started the car the light went out. I drove the car for about 130 miles yesterday, and as I was returning home, the light came back on. I tried the same procedure sever times, but the light failed to go out. I saw several posting on the internet suggesting that the break fluid be checked, and the float is moving properly. I tried to get the filler screen filter in the break master cylinder once you remove the cap to come out so I could see the fluid and float, it moves around, but doesn't seem to want to come out (something stupid I'm missing to get it out?). Any suggestions on it's removal and any thoughts on why it reset the first time, and now doesn't want to reset.

I guess I should check the pads, and not assume that the Maryland Inspection really checked them... That will have to wait for the snow to melt.

Any thoughts are appreciated....
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 02-22-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Fixed. It's brake, not break. ;)

To state the fairly obvious - you need to check the brake pads. Never assume anything when the car is telling you of an issue. One pad front and rear have a wired sensor that wears through when the pad is reaching minimum thickness. Once the wire wears through - your sensor light is illuminated (as in this case).

you could also check the sensor wires, mine came loose at one point and caused the plastic insulation to rub against the rotor which resulted in the brake pad warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    To state the fairly obvious - you need to check the brake pads. Never assume anything when the car is telling you of an issue. One pad front and rear have a wired sensor that wears through when the pad is reaching minimum thickness. Once the wire wears through - your sensor light is illuminated (as in this case).
    Quote Originally Posted by martinj View Post
    you could also check the sensor wires, mine came loose at one point and caused the plastic insulation to rub against the rotor which resulted in the brake pad warning.
    better be safe than sorry, i will listen to these two guys and will be looking for a good brand of brake pad set. but the question is what is the best brand to choose? i only know EBC but what else do you know guys better than this? i just wanna use what is better than ebc pads.
    Last edited by ronierogers; 05-27-2011 at 12:52 AM.

Thread Information