Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Anyone familiar with E31 850?

Thread: Anyone familiar with E31 850?

Anyone familiar with E31 850?

A buddy who's moved to FL has found an 850 in Reston that he is interested in. He asked if I could look at it this weekend. I imagine it's the 850Ci.
    I'm not familiar with model, so wondered if anyone else local could provide an extra pair of eyes.
    Who would you suggest for a pre-purchase inspection in that area? Curry's?
    Thanks in advance.

EDIT - Got it covered for the initial inspection, but would still like a referral for a shop for the PPI.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by John in VA; 01-14-2010 at 08:21 PM.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

If RRT knows anything about that model, I'd have them do it. They 850 is a pretty boutique model though, so you might need a pretty specialized shop to know that engine. Another thought is J&F Motors in Arlington.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

I know this... 8 Series may seem like a bargain to buy these days... however -- $$$$$$$ -- they are not cheap to maintain. the V12s are essentially two six cylinder engines... so you can immediately double maintenance/repair costs. the body had unique electronics. (A cool feature is, if you exceed about 110mph with the windows and sunroof open, they'll automatically close to improve aerodynamics. Don't ask me how I know.) Bottom line... any potential buyer MUST find a competent BMW expert to examine the vehicle prior to purchase.. and any potential buyer should have a maintenance/repair fund. If it's a CSi, it's a bit of a collectible, but more expensive to deal with.
    I know Alexandria Bavarian has some experience with 8s.

John,
    No need to tell me! I told the prospective owner he needed an intervention to be considering a black V12. He's a Porsche guy, so operating costs MIGHT be cheaper for the E31. This car is not bargain priced, but has very low miles and is well-maintained.
    Thanks to all for the suggestions.
    Last edited by John in VA; 01-15-2010 at 01:48 PM.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

I would contact Coupenut. He owns a pristine 850ci and did what seemed like years of research and rejection on every 8 he found before buying his. PM me if you need his contact info.
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

Thread Information