Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2010) NCC Autocross Proposed Class Changes - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: (2010) NCC Autocross Proposed Class Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Claff View Post
    Love the "X" categories. No objections here and I doubt you'll find any elsewhere.
    Only suggestion that I have this that X1 should be the fastest class and X4 should be the slowest class. (Just like S1 should be faster than S4)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    Prohibiting fixed back seats on the basis of safety concerns is ridiculous. The only way that you can possibly justify that is by banning them unless a cage is installed, otherwise, all it means is that you get fixed back seats if you run sticky tires. And how can it possibly be more acceptable to run more grip on the same car if you actually think that it's unsafe?
    Lets be clear, we do not prohibit fixed back seats. Recognizing that some people are going to use fixed-back seats, we do allow them, and place them in the Modified category. Also permitted in the Modified category are cages, both half and full. I would assume that if a car is caged, it is going to have fixed back seats, but not vice-versa. However, I think any organization would strongly encourage the use of rollover protection if fixed-back seats are used in the car. All we want to do is discourage the use of them in an otherwise street car, without additional rollover protection, and so they have been put in the Modified category.

Nick, I hope you can see fit to join us at an NCC autocross this year.

Best,
    -Mike
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Open Mouth, Insert Foot.

At the Autocross Rules meeting tonight, one of the (many) changes that was made was to allow fixed back seats in the Tuner class. So, consider me wrong, again.

All other changes, in the form of updated 2010 Classing Rules, will be available in a few days once it gets cleaned up. Get ready for the season everyone!
    Mike R.

Quote Originally Posted by Claff View Post
    Love the "X" categories. No objections here and I doubt you'll find any elsewhere.
    In theory it might seem good but a well prepped S2000 or MX-5 on street tires would wax anything else in X1 that is why I feel like following BMW Stock, Tuner, Modified format would be a much better equalizer. Weight and grip account for most of the speed in autocross not power.

So which class would I have a better chance in? Some x class(where would my ST prepped civic fall under) or a bare bone stock z4 in stock class?wondering if I want to compete which car should I run...

wagaboutdogs.com karcepts.com ssc-tint.com

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    All...changes, in the form of updated 2010 Classing Rules, will be available in a few days once it gets cleaned up. Get ready for the season everyone!
    Looking forward to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by civicexracer View Post
    So which class would I have a better chance in? Some x class(where would my ST prepped civic fall under) or a bare bone stock z4 in stock class?wondering if I want to compete which car should I run...
    I'm thinking that either choice will be good for you. We all know it's the driver that makes the car fast anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by civicexracer View Post
    I guess it depends on who actually shows up, but my very mildly prepped MX-5 finishes in front of your fully prepped ST Civic pretty much everytime and you being the ST class champion what chance do most other drivers have. It is a well know fact that the S2000 is one of the faster autocross cars around so for it to grouped in the slowest class by virtue of displacement doesn't seem fair, but if that is what the rules are I guess will see how things come out at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaSC View Post
    It is a well know fact that the S2000 is one of the faster autocross cars around so for it to grouped in the slowest class by virtue of displacement doesn't seem fair, but if that is what the rules are I guess will see how things come out at the end of the season.
    I agree that the new classing is not perfect but compared to what it was in the past it's definitely a step in the right direction. There needs to be a middle ground between the hundred+ class SCCA and the two class system that was NCC, and this works. I can live with getting beat by S2000 but wasn't too thrilled to go up against the Z06 last October, and that won't happen with the new system.

2010 Autocrossers Inc. STS champion
    2010 NCCBMWCCA X3 first loser

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaSC View Post
    It is a well know fact that the S2000 is one of the faster autocross cars around so for it to grouped in the slowest class by virtue of displacement doesn't seem fair, but if that is what the rules are I guess will see how things come out at the end of the season.
    If anyone said our new X-classes are ranked slowest to fastest I think they are dead wrong. I suspect the fastest cars in each class will be pretty even. The Lotus Elise, also X4, is faster than the S2000 you mentioned and in SCCA it is considered the equivalent to the Corvette Z06. Our intent is to have four classes that can be split in some simple manner. One consideration was by number of cylinders. With only a slight tongue-in-cheek, I suggested using the color of the car. Some suggested classing cars by power-to-weight ratio. While that might be more fair, who amongst us knows the power and weight of the hundreds (thousands?) of car models that have been produced in the last 25 years? And what about modifications and lightening? Now if someone wants to bring scales and a dyno to all our events. . . .

Edit: Thinking about it further, I guess WE are saying the classes are ranked slowest to fastest. Otherwise we wouldn't make cars move to another class if they add R-compound tires and/or blowers.
    Last edited by woodym3; 01-18-2010 at 10:05 PM.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

That is why I must defer to my original opinion, that it would be better to have cars classed by Tires and Mods the rules are already established just follow that format. My thoughts are for making it more fun for the casual autocrosser, the top drivers are also probably more likely to have a more prepped car and tires, moving them up the ladder leave the stock class more or less for the novices to battle it out where car selection is less of a factor.

So the whole x-class thing... are we going to make a note somewhere that x-class drivers remember/find out what their motor size is BEFORE coming to the event?

haha. Good idea. That's another reason I thought we should class X-cars by their color.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    So the whole x-class thing... are we going to make a note somewhere that x-class drivers remember/find out what their motor size is BEFORE coming to the event?
    Considering it's printed in the owners manual and stamped in the engine bay for emissions. There should be no excuse, even if someone doesn't know their engine size, that we couldn't figure it out.

Between opening hoods and web-enabled phones it really shouldn't be that hard, now should it? And that's with cutting the owner out of the process.

Woody the first time someone tells me they are in the "Yellow" class I will defer to your expertise. God knows the classing meeting would have been shorter if we had listened to you.
    Mike R.

Thread Information