Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
VIR One of the Top Six Road Courses in USA

Thread: VIR One of the Top Six Road Courses in USA

VIR One of the Top Six Road Courses in USA

According to Car and Driver magazine:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ourses-feature

How many have you driven?

I think it's interesting that one was opened in 1955 (Road America) 3 were opened in 1957 (VIR, Laguna Seca, and Watkins Glen). (The public road courses at Road America and Watkins Glen started holding races in the early 50s.) Road Atlanta opened in 1970 and Sear Point/Infinion in 1988. I wonder if anything built in the last 20 years will ever be considered a "top track".
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Where is Mid-Ohio???
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Steven I concur.`While I have never driven Laguna Seca, those who have don't consider it a very technical track on par with Sears Pt. It may be pretty and it does have the "Corkscrew" but to include it over Mid-O is a mistake IMHO. MO dosen't have any long boring straights and the flow there is fantastic. A well driven momentum car at MO can keep up with traffic but at VIR or WGI the same car is a "rolling chicane" on the front and back straights.

We are lucky to have 2 of the top six w/in a 5 hr driveof us

Just got back from the Glen with Del/Val. I may need a brake upgrade now as I am consitently over heating the rotors, calipers and pads. I melted the LF dust boot on the brake piston 2 days in a row.

Gerry
    1990 E30 M3 (white)
    2003 E46 M3 (white)
    1991 spec miata (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    According to Car and Driver magazine:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ourses-feature

How many have you driven?

I think it's interesting that one was opened in 1955 (Road America) 3 were opened in 1957 (VIR, Laguna Seca, and Watkins Glen). (The public road courses at Road America and Watkins Glen started holding races in the early 50s.) Road Atlanta opened in 1970 and Sear Point/Infinion in 1988. I wonder if anything built in the last 20 years will ever be considered a "top track".
    I drove some of VIR at the OFEST AX, I picked up trash at Laguna Seca while in the Army, its on Ft.Ord!, and I watched the last US GP race at Watkins Glen in 1969. BTW, I've discovered my personal "corkscrew" in my neighborhood, its the White Marsh mall entrance from RT43, a little off camber, but 2 lanes of fun, usually empty.

Yeah, but the O'fest Autocross was on the Patriot course which is all within the real VIR circuit.
    Woody

Coincidently, Randy Pobst's monthly column in the SCCA's Sports Car magazine talks about his favorite tracks. In no apparent order he lists the Nurburgring Nordschleife, Mont Tremblant, VIR, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Infineon/Sears Point, Mazda/Laguna Seca, Sebring, and Thunderhill (California). Sorry Mid-Ohio fans, no mention of that, or Lime Rock.
    Woody

Thread Information