Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Chapter Event 10/23/2010 - Autocross Points Event #8
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 10/23/2010 - Autocross Points Event #8

10/23/2010 - Autocross Points Event #8

Points Event 8

NCC Autocross will host the 8th and final points event of the year on October 23rd, 2010.

Registration opens 12:00 AM on Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 and closes 12:00AM on Friday, October 22nd, 2010.

Register online as walk-up registration costs are higher!

Online registration is $30.00 for members / $35.00 for non-members.
    All walk-up registrations will be charged $35.00 for members / $40.00 for non-members.

Please register online so that we can properly plan for the event (and save yourself some money too). Online registration also will streamline your registration process on event day.

This years program is targeted towards the first timer as well as the more experienced autocrosser. Our events promote a great social gathering of all ages and all cars. Bring your car right from the showroom, or take your project out of the garage for a spin around the cones, in a safe manner provided by our outstanding NCCBMWCCA autocross committee.

Please contact us with any questions you might have. We'll be happy to answer your questions. Please use our message board at http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showthrea...2010-Autocross... to post any questions you may have.

See you on the 22nd!

The Essentials ...

Registration

Register Here!

Registration opens 12:00 AM on Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 and closes 12:00AM on Friday, October 22nd, 2010.

Registrations are non-refundable and non-transferable.
    Summit Point Motorsport Park (Washington Circuit)
    201 Motorsport Park Circle
    Summit Point, MD, 25446
    Last edited by Highflyr777; 09-14-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Woo-hoo, SP & it's slippery mini road course. I promise to stay off the grassy knoll this time. =)
    http://autocrossr.blogspot.com/
    1986 Toyota AE86
    2008 mx5 prht stormy blue

Excited yet sad at the same time... Can't believe the season is coming to an end. Anyhow, if I added up the points correctly for this season, I think I'm set for X4 which means I can drive a different car for the last event. Anyone care to let me co-drive their car?? If not, I'll probably end up running my dads Z4 in S1

wagaboutdogs.com karcepts.com ssc-tint.com

Where in SP is this event held at? Is it the Kart track?
    Last edited by Tochenzo; 09-13-2010 at 09:19 PM.

National Capital Chapter BMW CCA #367673

Quote Originally Posted by Tochenzo View Post
    Is it the Kart track?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by civicexracer View Post
    Excited yet sad at the same time... Can't believe the season is coming to an end. Anyhow, if I added up the points correctly for this season, I think I'm set for X4 which means I can drive a different car for the last event. Anyone care to let me co-drive their car?? If not, I'll probably end up running my dads Z4 in S1
    Wish I had that option...but I need an 8th place finish or better to clinch X2 after missing a few events!

I could make it interesting for the rest of X2 and bring the 4Runner instead....its 4.0L engine would put it in X2 Wonder if it could pull off an 8th place finish at Summit, lol.

would be nice if points standings through 7 evens would be posted, btw, so we can all be sure that we have the correct math on our points!

AJ, you're always welcome to drive my car, I'm sure it would enjoy going fast for once... lol.

http://autocrossr.blogspot.com/
    1986 Toyota AE86
    2008 mx5 prht stormy blue

Ok, so I'm going to ask a really noob question here...actually 2:

1) I noticed a few guys putting shoe polish on the side of their tires. I understand it's to help them figure out how the tire is getting traction. My QUestion is how should you apply said shoe polish and how do you read the results?

2) 2nd noob question: I also noticed some guys spritzing something on their cards. I'm assuming its water. Is this to bring down the tire temperatures? Also wouldn't this lower the tire pressures to an undesired psi?

I mark chalk/shoe polish on 3 parts of each tire (like a triangle) to cover a portion of the tread to the sidewall. The ideal tire pressure should allow the tire to rub off all of the polish on the tread and have it show starting from the sidewall. If there is polish showing on the tread, it means you need to let out some air. If there is no polish on the sidewall, it means you need more air.

National Capital Chapter BMW CCA #367673

Yes its water and yes it's to cool the tires. Spraying the tires with water really just cools the surface temperature. People do this becuase usually after a run or 2(also depending on abient and pavement temperature), the tires surface can get real hot, usually resulting in a "sluggish" or "slippery" feeling on the next run. Spaying with water keeps the surface temperature down enough so the tires maintain a good level of grip. As for the pressures, they don't drop mainly because you're only spaying a little bit of water on the surface and with only minutes between runs, there just isn't enough time for the water to cool fast enough to drop the pressure.

Hmm, I have much to think about now! Thanks for the answers guys!

I dont even spray my r-comps (which heat up MUCH faster than street tires) unless it's scorching out and the pavement can cook an egg. Heck, at the last AI, when I was co-driving Les' car, we didn't even spray his A6's and that was 8 runs (16 total counting morning and afternoon) with very little time between them. I've no idea why folks were spraying their street tires at the last BMW event, the ground was lukewarm at best.

Heavy cars and cars on qualifying tires are the ones that really benefit from spraying their tires. I watched Hoelscher use nearly a whole bottle on his DP MR2 at the Divisionals this year.
    Last edited by flohtingPoint; 09-15-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Yes its water and yes it's to cool the tires. Spraying the tires with water really just cools the surface temperature. People do this becuase usually after a run or 2(also depending on abient and pavement temperature), the tires surface can get real hot, usually resulting in a "sluggish" or "slippery" feeling on the next run. Spaying with water keeps the surface temperature down enough so the tires maintain a good level of grip. As for the pressures, they don't drop mainly because you're only spaying a little bit of water on the surface and with only minutes between runs, there just isn't enough time for the water to cool fast enough to drop the pressure.
    And on cool days you'll see some of the same, uh, fanatics putting blankets or other insulating material over their tires after each run in an attempt to keep some majic amount of heat in the tire tread.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I don't think spraying tires does much, like AJ said you are only cooling the outer tread. Right behind the wheel is a very hot brake disc, and the metal wheels, both of these are huge heat sinks. Spraying the outside of the tread doesn't counter them at all, I think once you take two turns at speed the tires are right back up to their previous temp. I gave up on sprayers, although on a really hot day they could be used to cool down the driver.

This is only opinion, I have no scientific data to back my claims.
    AJ sprays his tires and he is faster than me so I am probably wrong...

Thread Information