Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Chapter Event 10/23/2010 - Autocross Points Event #8 - Page 8
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 10/23/2010 - Autocross Points Event #8

I've only got one cone mark on my '90 Miata that doesn't want to come off. I think it happened when one of the instructors at a SCCA school drove the car, cause I never hit cones. Ever.

I like my cars to be fairly clean and shiny but not to the point where I'll put preventative masking tape on the body before autocross. Yeah it might save ya from a scuff or two but it's not a good look.

2010 Autocrossers Inc. STS champion
    2010 NCCBMWCCA X3 first loser

Quote Originally Posted by civicexracer View Post
    I'm not comparing BMW TO Subaru's, I'm making the comparison of me owning a Honda to BMW and Subaru owners in general. Since those cars in general cost way more than Honda's, specifically 15yr old civics...
    Former owner of an '87 Integra (bought in 2001 with 280k miles) and '92 Accord coupe (bought in 2002 with 180k miles), so I'm no stranger to cheap Hondas! And yeah I know we're all being sarcastic here. But hey, we can't register so we might as well argue about non-sequitors Oh also....you know I'm no big-balla car buyer - I autocrossed a 150k MAXIMA for four seasons because it's all I had!

But Subarus in general are cheaper than you think. I checked out Civic Si's when I bought my WRX and it was nearly the same price (Honda doesn't discount much...Subaru does)...

The absolute cheapest car in BMW's US line is the 128i. I just built one online one out of curiosity, with as close as to the same features/options as came on the WRX. It came out over $10k more than the WRX was...and that's without turbo or AWD, lol.

I dont' think we'll have any frozen cones this weekend!
    Last edited by irish44j; 10-20-2010 at 04:30 PM.

All true, I'll give you that.

Oh and for this weekends event, I don't think cones are necessarily the biggest concern. I'm more worried about slipping off into the grass or hitting one of those kart tire walls that SPK so kindly put up for us..

Quote Originally Posted by civicexracer View Post
    All true, I'll give you that.

Oh and for this weekends event, I don't think cones are necessarily the biggest concern. I'm more worried about slipping off into the grass or hitting one of those kart tire walls that SPK so kindly put up for us..
    I don't think blue tape will help with those issues, lol.

Hopefully the course will be designed like last time to keep the tire walls out of play as much as possible. Doesn't look like it's supposed to rain, so at least we all won't be driving sideways.....

FINALLY! I'm going to be there Saturday for the AM session (if there are any spots left). DLBRacing.com isn't coming up for me at the moment, so I'll have to register later tonight.

EDIT: Read back a couple pages and it doesn't look like I'll be registering, along with others. Walk-up it is!
    Last edited by RedMS3; 10-20-2010 at 05:37 PM.

In case anybody is paying attention--here's a pre-registration.

I'll be there for the afternoon session. Blue 911, X3. Assuming PM registration will start 11ish...
    Tim_in_MD
    76 2002
    86 911
    14 GMC Sierra Z71

Quote Originally Posted by RedMS3 View Post
    FINALLY! I'm going to be there Saturday for the AM session (if there are any spots left). DLBRacing.com isn't coming up for me at the moment, so I'll have to register later tonight.

EDIT: Read back a couple pages and it doesn't look like I'll be registering, along with others. Walk-up it is!
    whats up slacker.....AM session though? What's up with that?
    Last edited by irish44j; 10-20-2010 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
    whats up slacker.....AM session though? What's up with that?
    Not much, just had a long string of events that kept me out of autocrossing...

I thought about doing the AM session, but I might just do the PM since it sounds like I know more people doing that one that I haven't seen in a while. I don't mind getting up early anymore (I wake up at 5AM for work), so that's why I figured I could do the AM session.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMS3 View Post
    Not much, just had a long string of events that kept me out of autocrossing...

I thought about doing the AM session, but I might just do the PM since it sounds like I know more people doing that one that I haven't seen in a while. I don't mind getting up early anymore (I wake up at 5AM for work), so that's why I figured I could do the AM session.
    I thought for a minute about doing the AM session, but I like getting there at 11 and watching some of the AM session so I get a feel for the course. Plus with it being cooler now, morning session won't let the tires get warmed up much on that slick course....and it might have dew on the course = more slick lol. And not freezing my ass off when working the course.

Also like to see the fast times in the AM to see what I need to shoot for!

IDK if I could get up early enough to get there on time anyways, lol.

You on the Ventus 12's now? How do you like them? Looking forward to FINALLY getting to an event with the new suspension myself after an 11-month wait for it!

I thought for a minute about doing the AM session, but I like getting there at 11 and watching some of the AM session so I get a feel for the course. Plus with it being cooler now, morning session won't let the tires get warmed up much on that slick course....and it might have dew on the course = more slick lol. And not freezing my ass off when working the course.

Also like to see the fast times in the AM to see what I need to shoot for!

IDK if I could get up early enough to get there on time anyways, lol.

You on the Ventus 12's now? How do you like them? Looking forward to FINALLY getting to an event with the new suspension myself after an 11-month wait for it!
    Good points about showing up towards the end of the AM session.

Yeah, I'm on ventus 12s and I like them a lot over the stock tires. the only real difference I've noticed in street driving is more body lean since the sidewall is softer. However, their grip is superior in both wet and dry, which helps a lot. I was having trouble breaking it loose in 2nd early on, but they're slipping (albeit inconsistently) when I floor it in 2nd. Might rotate them before Saturday. Look forward to using my new tires against your new suspension 8-)

Nice...I was about to buy them last week since they were on a $400/set special with free shipping, but at the last second a guy offered me his 300-mile-old stock SP Sport01's from his '11 WRX (235 width vs. my 225 width) for the same price, and I've really liked the Sport01s and gotten 25k+ miles out of them (pretty good for a UHP summer tire on an AWD car!)

On an unrelated topic, I recall a while back we were discussing powerbands between our cars and such. A few weeks ago I finally went and got a baseline dyno done. The numbers are consistent with what other guys with 09-10 wrx's are getting - VERY close to the STi and it's clear that Subaru really under-rated the crank horsepower putting it at 265 - using 20% drivetrain loss it is more like 290 or so! Protecting the STi's advertised (and actual) 300hp I guess.

Anyhow, in case you're interested:

And then I flashed Cobb AP stage 1 and got another 15whp/30wtq and a much nicer A/F curve and got rid of that pulling timing at 3700 rpm/hesitation

John, every time I've seen your car it's dirty as hell anyways (much like mine). The thought of you getting down and rubbing out cone marks with a claybar seems far-fetched
    I had it professionally buffed and detailed in March... cone marks are still there. 900 autox runs will do that

1999 ///M3 | 2006 Evo MR #7 STU

Quote Originally Posted by Claff View Post
    I've only got one cone mark on my '90 Miata that doesn't want to come off. I think it happened when one of the instructors at a SCCA school drove the car, cause I never hit cones. Ever.

I like my cars to be fairly clean and shiny but not to the point where I'll put preventative masking tape on the body before autocross. Yeah it might save ya from a scuff or two but it's not a good look.
    I much rather have some blue tape up front of my Vantage for a couple hours, than have to respray it again. I just got the front done to remove rock chips. 2T PM for me

Is anyone else still receiving the "recipient unable to receive payment" error on PayPal? Is there any way to register without paying, so I can pay when I get there while still knowing what numbers to take with me?

Quote Originally Posted by skeeler View Post
    Is anyone else still receiving the "recipient unable to receive payment" error on PayPal? Is there any way to register without paying, so I can pay when I get there while still knowing what numbers to take with me?
    It doesn't look like it's getting fixed in time. Bring all your numbers and prepare for anything.

Thread Information